Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Snow Mountain - Hardscrabble Lakes - 6/22/13
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Jun 22, 2013 10:31 pm 
Greg K and I did Big Snow today. The Hardscrabble lakes route is now roughly 25 miles because of the gate at Dingford Creek. We used bikes to get to the "big log" mentioned in other reports.
tire trouble
tire trouble
the "big log"
the "big log"
Burnt Boot Peak
Burnt Boot Peak
The boot path is in decent condition until it reaches the talus slopes below the first lake. Further on it is hard to follow and a recent avalanche has wiped out a large portion. The snow began several hundred feet below the lakes.
Lower Hardscrabble
Lower Hardscrabble
the east buttress
the east buttress
Summit Chief peeking
Summit Chief peeking
Thomson north face
Thomson north face
Above the upper lake we followed the gully to the pass where we admitted to each other that we were both feeling tired. The remaining distance to the summit was a bit of a grind, even though it wasn't steep. Neither of us used an ax or traction devices on the ascent but we did use axes for glissade control on the descent.
snow covered slabs
snow covered slabs
above the pass
above the pass
nearing the summit
nearing the summit
a little further
a little further
summit
summit
While we were on the summit I noticed a silent glider passing through the valley below. He caught an updraft and spiraled up right before our eyes, until he was several hundred feet above us. Greg waved to him and he circled us once before moving on. Then, when I signed the register, I noticed we were the first party of 2013.
Myrtle Lake, Big Snow Lake, and Dorothy Lake
Myrtle Lake, Big Snow Lake, and Dorothy Lake
Overcoat, Chimney, and Lemah
Overcoat, Chimney, and Lemah
the glider
the glider
first signature of 2013
first signature of 2013
my friend Ed Miller was here 10 years ago
my friend Ed Miller was here 10 years ago
On the way out we tried to sneak into Goldmyer Hot Springs even though it added some distance, but sadly we were caught and turned around before we could even get our toes wet.
back to the pass
back to the pass
the lower lake
the lower lake
pano
pano
11.5 hours car to car (I was hoping to come close to Fletcher's time, even with the Goldmyer detour, but he was faster by an hour).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
chiwakum
not credible

chiwakum
not credible
PostSat Jun 22, 2013 11:11 pm 
Thanks for the report. Awesome pics.It's good to know how much snow there is now. I'd like to know why you chose the hardscrabble route vice Myrtle Lk this time of year? Having done both routes I think I'd lean towards Myrtle this early in the season. Love the pano!

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 3:02 am 
Thanks for the shout out Adam, can't remember how long we dilly dallied on that trip but I think we were moving most of the day. I did, however take a bike with street tires up there and had to ride out in the dark. Goldmyer by stealth is balsy!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 5:32 am 
Nice pics. Cool encounter with the glider. Several years ago I saw 2 of them buzzing around Mt. Pilchuck for an hour or so. Looked like fun. They got pretty close to the ridgeline at times.

Jeb
Summit Driven

Jeb
Summit Driven
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 6:31 am 
Nice effort, thanks for the beta. I thought I could see some tiny dots on Big Snow from Canoe Peak winksmile.gif

RichP

RichP
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 8:22 am 
How is the brush in the lower part of the route? We spent a couple of hours breaking limbs there 2 years ago and vowed to return with some clippers as it was pretty overgrown. Haven't made time for that yet.

Greg K.

Greg K.
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 10:55 am 
Amazing hike with so many variables and views. Brush from the road was fairly over grown but easy to push through. Many limbs had cut back from years past which was another good route finding aid. Once out of the brush remnants of cairns and ribbon helped along the way through the boulder field. From there we relied on previous route history and Adam's intuition. When we finally made it to the pass we knew the hardest part was over and the final push to the summit was a for the most part a straight shot on the ridge. Near the end the west slope was fairly steep snow for the last 100 yards. Knowing that Adams's friend, Ed, had been up in years past, made the trip all the more sentimental. We read most of the entries dating back to 1995 and enjoyed the panoramic shots of noted surrounding peaks left in the '24 Hour Fitness' water bottle. To top it all off Adam spotted the Huge white glider about 500' below us. I'm guessing it had a 50-60 foot wingspan. The glider hit an updraft and spiraled nearly 1500' in a 400' circumference to the bottom of the cloud layer and then circled over in plain view. Its climbs like these that keep you wanting to come back to the mountains.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 4:01 pm 
Nice trip. I've always wanted to get in to climb this, thanks for the good picture:

iron

iron
PostSun Jun 23, 2013 4:25 pm 
^ that's a nice looking chunk of granite.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jun 24, 2013 9:54 am 
up.gif This TR takes me back to the days when the MFK road was open and Hardscrabble was the standard route to Big Snow. Looks like you had a great day up there.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jun 24, 2013 10:49 am 
That's a lot to tackle in one day. Great pictures.

SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostMon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am 
Nice trip report! I really enjoy your trip reports, this one just reminded me one more time that I want to get up on the Big Snow sometimes soon! up.gif

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
ree

ree
PostMon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 am 
Thanks for the great trip report... this one is on my list for later in season. The plug for trip reports on nwhookers in the summit register makes me larf. embarassedlaugh.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jun 24, 2013 12:28 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
up.gif This TR takes me back to the days when the MFK road was open
waah.gif One of my favorite weekend getaways... waah.gif Nice report. Been a long time since I've been up that way.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Jun 24, 2013 2:24 pm 
Love your big log picture. It brought back memories of reckless exploring, being fast, being free of responsibilities, and snowshoeing. All good...except for the snowshoeing. wink.gif Here's a shot of the log within a week of it rolling down the hill in 2002. Makes me feel old!
Big Snow Log
Big Snow Log