Forum Index > Photography Talk > Carrying Camera and Lenses
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 6:04 am 
For those of you who actually carry those 35mms or the DSLRs around, what kind of setup do you have for protecting and hauling your extra lenses and such?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Damian

Damian
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 8:22 am 
Big zip lock bags. Simple and light.

Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 8:27 am 
We lug our telephoto in a zippered pouched which is actually intended to keep your Nalgene bottle from freezing. Hard to describe I'll have to see if I can find a photo of it

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 10:46 am 
I use a LowePro Street and Field chest harness system like shown on this photographer in the attached image. Mine is a bit larger and I've got a small lens pouch on one side for a wide angle lens and then another large lens pouch on the other side of it for my 400mm lens. There is room for a filter pouch in the main case along with the SLR camera body with a lens on it. Outside zipper pouch for accessories like batteries, etc.... Even a rain cover built in to pull out and over it for a bit of protection in rain. Comes with a harness that you put on and I also attach it to my backpack shoulder straps to put some of the weight to my pack vs. all on my neck area otherwise. The other common way I've seen photographers be set up is to have a slightly smaller system setup on the belt-loop of the backpack on one of their hips. What I like with this system I've used for 5+ years now is that I have 95% of my photoghraphic needs at my reach at all times, including being able to reach back to pull my tripod off my pack on moments notice, and not have to unload my backpack off my shoulders to get something out. The quantity of successful shots using the 400mm lens has gone up 1000% since making that lens so available to be used when hiking....
photographer with LowePro chest harness system
photographer with LowePro chest harness system

Bob K

Bob K
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 11:55 am 
Spotly wrote:
For those of you who actually carry those 35mms or the DSLRs around, what kind of setup do you have for protecting and hauling your extra lenses and such?
I put them in my clothes bag or sleeping bag stuff sack, in plastic or silnylon bags off course. If I'm shooting, I just put them in my pockets. -

Andrew

Andrew
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 2:52 pm 
I wrap my camera with a towel and all the accessories in a gallon size Ziploc bag.

Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Sep 23, 2004 7:38 pm 
These all seem like inexpensive ways to go, even the LowePro Street and Field is reasonably priced. Thanks for the great ideas.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostFri Sep 24, 2004 7:23 am 
So how well does this harness work with a backpack? It looks like the straps in the back and the shoulder straps would make it uncomfortable. Also, how's the book coming? Newt
Alan Bauer wrote:
I use a LowePro Street and Field chest harness system like shown on this photographer in the attached image. Mine is a bit larger and I've got a small lens pouch on one side for a wide angle lens and then another large lens pouch on the other side of it for my 400mm lens. There is room for a filter pouch in the main case along with the SLR camera body with a lens on it. Outside zipper pouch for accessories like batteries, etc.... Even a rain cover built in to pull out and over it for a bit of protection in rain. Comes with a harness that you put on and I also attach it to my backpack shoulder straps to put some of the weight to my pack vs. all on my neck area otherwise. The other common way I've seen photographers be set up is to have a slightly smaller system setup on the belt-loop of the backpack on one of their hips. What I like with this system I've used for 5+ years now is that I have 95% of my photoghraphic needs at my reach at all times, including being able to reach back to pull my tripod off my pack on moments notice, and not have to unload my backpack off my shoulders to get something out. The quantity of successful shots using the 400mm lens has gone up 1000% since making that lens so available to be used when hiking....

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostFri Sep 24, 2004 10:09 am 
Hey Newt---long time no chat. The harness that wraps over your shoulders and around your back amazingly has never bothered me---you'd think it would, but it rests on your body under the backpack just fine. Sure, you can feel the weight it is supporting tug on your shoulders, but there is no impact to me on having it bind up or get extra pressure applied somewhere due to the backpack being placed over it. Using carbiners to clip both sides of the front of the harness where it attaches to the main camera bag to your backpacks shoulder straps is what really helps relieve any weight pulling the camera gear might add to your neck. The only thing that takes getting used to? Not being able to see your feet so clearly when hiking...something that the first hike you'll notice big time, but soon you don't even notice it as you mind will adjust to know where to step over a rock w/o seeing it smack under you. Book---thanks for asking---as a matter of fact, just yesterday I received my advance copy of the book!! It's done and will be released October 1st. You can actually see it at Amazon and other booksellers now.... So that's kind of fun to see after 3+ years of work up.gif Alan

Bob K

Bob K
PostSun Sep 26, 2004 2:46 pm 
Alan Bauer wrote:
Book---thanks for asking---as a matter of fact, just yesterday I received my advance copy of the book!! It's done and will be released October 1st. You can actually see it at Amazon and other booksellers now.... So that's kind of fun to see after 3+ years of work up.gif Alan
Best Desert Hikes: Washington, scheduled to be released next week, just in time for the middle/late fall hiking season when the mountains get snowed in. I don't think anyone knows these trails better than Alan. I have a copy pre-ordered. -

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostSun Sep 26, 2004 5:05 pm 
Thanks Alan & Bob. I spose I should load my pack up and hit the store to try it on. It just looks way to uncomfortable with the pack on those straps. I already have a chest strap but it doesn't really allow for attachments very well. Thanks for the book info. I'm ordering. But I just need to know one other thing, when and where are the book signings? I've got a few that have your name on them and they desperately need an autograph to make them complete. smile.gif Plus, it would be very nice to meet you in person. Yup. Now I just need to catch up with Karen too. Newt

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostSun Sep 26, 2004 7:12 pm 
Thanks Newt and Bob---I appreciate your kind words and encouragement. Newt--I don't know yet where and when presentations will be happening. However I do know for sure at least one presentation will be at the Seattle REI store. Other than that it will likely focus a lot on a series of locations / Mountaineers Clubs in Spokane, Tri-Cities, Yakima, and Wenatchee. Maybe into Idaho as well. I'm hoping this all can be done as one whirl-wind trip with presentations every night or afternoon so I only make one trip. Then I can use that as an excuse to play and hike over there for the other 2-3 days smile.gif I'll PM you when I find out where Dan and I end up at. Or you can always occasionally check out the Mountaineers Books web site under "Events" as they list them there also.