Forum Index > Trail Talk > Friendly fish
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostMon Aug 26, 2002 7:43 am 
Descending from Cathedral Pass to Squaw lake we noticed fish surfacing. The light was right and the water very clear and we could see fish in the lake 30 yards out. As we approached the shoreline, a couple of them swam directly to us within 5 feet of waters edge and just sat there (looking at us?). We were not quiet either. I didn't know whether stick my hand in and shake it's fin or just say HI! wink.gif I went for the verbal greeting. "Hello fish". tongue.gif I am not the most prolific high lake visitor, but I've been to more than a few and never seen "friendly fish" before. Usually they swim away. Is it unusual for fish to swim towards you and hang out that close? Anyone else experience this before? confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 7:55 am 
Pappy, I used to see this phenomenon all the time. Of course, my dad worked for the Department of Game and we lived at a fish hatchery. The fish would absolutely swarm and the water would boil with thrashing fish because they associated the sight of humans with getting fed. Sort of doubtful that these are hatchery plants, though... hey, is that a fish in your pocket or are you just glad to see me? wink.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 8:30 am 
Occasionally, fish get lonely in seldom-visited high lakes that were stocked by men carrying them in on their backs (Trail Blazers) and like to just say hello or thanks for the spendid Alpine home...grin. McPilchuckblazer

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
ajgoodkids

ajgoodkids
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 9:51 am 
Those are smart trout. They figure if they come over, shake your hand, pat you on the back and light your cigar, you'll feel too guilty to hook and eat them.

salish

salish
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 6:38 pm 
Mountain Bluegills
It was those pesky Mountain Bluegills defending their nests!

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

PostMon Aug 26, 2002 8:04 pm 
Hardy-har-har. lol.gif I didn't know we had so many comedians at the board. shakehead.gif But seriously folks, I swear these fish swam right to us like they were looking for some chum. suuure.gif Anyhoo, as this is no more than 3 miles from the trailhead, it'd be great place to take a kid on a hiking-fishing trip. The TROUT were definately "keepers" - if you had a mind to. cool.gif

polarbear

polarbear
PostMon Aug 26, 2002 8:33 pm 
Sounds like the guy who almost got skunked at the trout farm in 1 rst grade might even be able to catch something there. I may have to head up there.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 11:11 am 
I've seen this happen, too, about this time of year, particularly struck me at Tatoosh Lake. There at least, there is some type of hopper hatching out and the fish seem to orient themselves facing the shoreline and they don't seem very afraid unless you make some quick, threatening movement. It seems as if fish get rather fixated on a particular type of feed, particularly if it's in abundance and is a favored food. My theory on fish is that they are basically stupid, brain about the size of a kernal of corn, they not looking at the shoreline contemplating quantam physics. This, of course, is what gives me a chance to catch them. If they were smart, I'd be in trouble.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 4:33 pm 
I've never seen that before. Been to a lot of lakes and see the occasional fish jump. I'm going to be looking for this in the future. I hope it isn't me that the fish are afraid of. Just to be safe, I'll bring my friendly hiking partner with me. Maybe that will help. BW

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu