Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 2:50 pm 
reststep wrote:
There is an article about this route in the May 1995 Pack and Paddle Magazine.
Can you point out a library that has these available? Can I borrow your set?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 3:33 pm 
I have a digitized version that Reststep shared with me (scanned from his copy) that I'll try to remember to share later.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 4:23 pm 
RodF wrote:
The trail route is shown on older editions of the Kloochman Rock and Mount Christie 15-minute USGS
I've got a 1958 15-minute Kloochman Rock USGS topo here which has the trail printed on it. Problem is, the first half mile of the trail is gone: the whole hillside caved in:
that slide occured in 1970 or 1971. that was the beginning of the trail where it begins to ascend the ridge. thus so far there are no documented reports of anyone being able to find any remnant of "trail" starting at the bottom. there are lots of reports of people trying, however. people like Sam, who I met up there in 1993. you will find a report of that meeting here - scroll down to "Tshletshy Creek Trail". I would have sworn it was 1992, but Sam says 1993. and bear in mind when you read Sam's comment: that's the same guy who dropped down off the Skyline to Lake Beauty, down the ridge to the Queets, and met up with me coming down the trail just below Smith Place.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jul 09, 2013 5:25 pm 
Tag Man wrote:
I have a digitized version that Reststep shared with me (scanned from his copy) that I'll try to remember to share later.
That would be great, but I'm more interested in finding an archived source for the full run of P&P.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Jul 10, 2013 12:16 pm 
I don't know of any library that has the Pack and Paddles. I don't have them all but you are welcome to borrow the ones I have. I will see if I can find them. Riverside Baker was giving some away a few years ago on here. I suppose they are gone but you could check. Link to Post

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
reststep

reststep
PostWed Jul 10, 2013 12:34 pm 
I found a report by someone that did the Tshletshy Creek Trail in 1981. He ran across the trail in a few spots but that was over 30 years ago. Link to Report

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 10, 2013 12:50 pm 
excellent find! wow! amazing photos of the barn and Smith Place (with Smith's addition still standing!) this conversation and Sam's email jogged my memory: quite a while back I talked with a young man who was working at Backpackers Supply in Tacoma. probably 15-20 years ago. he said he and three friends came down Tshletshy from the top. took four days. his summation: "I'd never do it again." to those intent on finding any remains of trail: best of luck, and please do provide pictures with your trip report! thanks restep! smile.gif * note variation in spelling of "Tshletshy" on trail sign at lower crossing junction (the one with the pack leaning against the tree.) * his date of 1942 is in error. I had trails supervisor look this up for me years ago. trail last cleared 1969 per L.L. ONP.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostWed Jul 10, 2013 7:01 pm 
Here is the article. It's just the article, not the whole issue, sorry. Link to PDF

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 pm 
Thank you!
Doug Savage, in the above cited article wrote:
I've been in every corner of the Olympics and I have to say I've never seen trees outside the redwoods that were so incredibly large. Robert Wood mentions trees 7 to 9 feet in diameter and over 300 feet high. I remember vividly a stand of about 6 or 7 trees that averaged about 12 feet in diameter. I was awestruck.
Those kind of specimens are in abundance along the Upper Crossing Way Trail (between Smith Place and Tshletshy). Most of the giants are Douglas Fir and Hemlock. You'll find big Sitka Spruce along the main Queets River Trail up in Harlow Bottom. To those who might attempt this: If I'm reading the article correctly, the author made a terrible mistake trying to bushwhack down the south bank between Tshletshy and Smith Place. You do not want to go that way. He describes it as two miles. It's actually a bit less than a mile. But it's a mile of tangle. Cross over to the north bank at Tshletshy (generally the best ford is just above the mouth), gain the trail, and follow it from there. Great article. Sounds like every other report I've heard or read about adventures up there. smile.gif

Phil

Phil
PostThu Jul 11, 2013 7:18 am 
Great find, thanks. I love Olympics bush-whacks but that sounds like just too much.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 1:08 am 
* edited for brevity * another little piece of a puzzle? * Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 18:37:30 -0400 Subject: Re: upper, upper queets trail? From: Sam To: skimohawk@ Hi Brian, Thanks for the wealth of info. The trail I found in 94 was def. on the east bank of the river, above Alta, upslope a few hundred feet. I found it after coming downriver from hee haw, at the point where the bottomland is pinched out by rapids. There were numerous cut logs, and my thoughts were that this was something official. It dropped down off the slopes and disappeared in an alder flat abit above alta. It may be nearly impossible to find going upriver, best to look around the rapids, where it may be located in a natural egress away from the pinched bottomlands. I'm still intrigued that you mentioned hearing tell of sign in that area from somebody in the past. Sam this message is also posted in this thread * east bank at Alta is south bank of Queets

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 7:22 pm 
* edited for brevity * From: GoBlueHiker Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am "Anyhoo, the Queets. Yes, I stayed on the West/North side of the river almost the entire way between Pelton and Kilkelly. I remember in a couple of the years ('04 and '08 if I recall) I decided to cross and re-cross somewhere just up from Alta Creek approaching Hee Hee, but from my recollection now I can't remember exactly where that was. But besides the vicinity of Alta, I stayed on the NW side of the river exclusively from Hee Hee all the way up past Kilkelly to Paull Creek. The other side of the river might be passable too, I dunno, I just haven't tried it (one of those "if it works don't break it" kinda things). Most of the time I was a fair bit back from the river... several hundred yards or more. Many times the river wasn't even visible. It varied depending on the terrain (occasionally I was quite close). Near the river were most the logjams, large rocks, slide alders and young needly spruce thickets, with the more "open" forest a bit further up, atop the "toe of the slope" as you describe. When the canyon narrows even more from Hee Haw up to Paull and beyond, staying above the "toe" is completely necessary... it's a box-canyon at the river." this message is also posted in this thread east bank = south bank west bank = north bank

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 10:33 am 
reststep wrote:
I don't know of any library that has the Pack and Paddles. I don't have them all but you are welcome to borrow the ones I have. I will see if I can find them. Riverside Baker was giving some away a few years ago on here. I suppose they are gone but you could check. Link to Post
Hey Reststep. I know this was a while ago, but do you still have these? It would be nice to be able to scan and archive them.

Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostSat Oct 15, 2022 10:35 am 
Tag Man wrote:
Here is the article. It's just the article, not the whole issue, sorry. Link to PDF
The new link to this old article is here now. http://www.pwckitsap.org/news/articles/pwc-times/article.html#page/1