Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Olympic NF 1935-1936 Recreation Guides
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RodF

RodF
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 4:54 am 
Supporting Sam's observation of trail on the south bank of the Queets above Alta Creek is the 1938 Olympic National Forest map.
1938 Olympic NF map, Queets area, partial
1938 Olympic NF map, Queets area, partial
Alas, this scan (shared by Olympic NF's historian) frustratingly cuts off the upper Queets to the east, so we can't see how far upriver the trail went. (I'll borrow the original map, rescan and post it next winter.) * However, Olympic NP's original 1938 policy statement reads: "It is necessary that some areas be preserved free of any trails so the youths of future generations, too, may enjoy and exercise their "sense of direction" while exercising their legs and lungs in travelling across country where only elk and deer trails now are found. The headwaters of the Queets River should have no further trail development than will be afforded by the Bailey Range trail passing just at its upper edge and the river trail extending up to Hee Hee Creek where it now ends. The Seattle Creek trail [aka Queets Skyline trail] follows the ridge above Hee Hee Creek so the Queets basin and watershed are available to hikers." - "Statement of Controlling Development Policies" July 1938, Preston P. Macy, acting Superintendent, et al. , page B-4 (Olympic NP archives OLYM-621) As we now celebrate the 75th anniversary of the founding of Olympic NP, and this was it's founding policy document, I should perhaps post it in its entirety in a separate posting. NPS has followed it consistently, and it shapes the Park we have today. * Note added: Yes, I just looked at both the 1936 and 1938 USFS Olympic National Forest maps (available at ONP archives, map drawer 1) and both show Queets Trail crossing to the south bank of the Queets River just above Pelton Creek, crossing Alta Creek and ending at Hee Hee Creek.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 11:24 am 
you have a crystal ball up there, Rod? it's like you already knew the other question Sam asked:
Sam wrote:
Are the park regulations continuing their trend upwards? i wonder if the day will arrive where they prohibit off-trail travel. I live in the east now, and off-trail travel is heavily discouraged in the Smokies, to the point than many individual rangers claim it's not allowed. I was last in the Olympics in 2009, and even then Bear canisters were nearly required for all hikes that were above 3000 feet, and our planned traverse between the forks of the Quinalt a problem for the rangerette since we couldn't identify where we'd be camping. We finally told her what she wanted to hear, and did what we wanted once in the backcountry.
looks to me like they anticipated that question 75 years ago and addressed it in the original policy statement.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 24, 2013 6:17 pm 
*edited for brevity* Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:11:51 -0400 "...interesting stuff, although I'm pretty sure that the remnant I found extended above hee hee creek..." Sam

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 29, 2013 7:18 pm 
* edited for brevity * From: GoBlueHiker Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:42 am "Anyhoo, the Queets. Yes, I stayed on the West/North side of the river almost the entire way between Pelton and Kilkelly. I remember in a couple of the years ('04 and '08 if I recall) I decided to cross and re-cross somewhere just up from Alta Creek approaching Hee Hee, but from my recollection now I can't remember exactly where that was. But besides the vicinity of Alta, I stayed on the NW side of the river exclusively from Hee Hee all the way up past Kilkelly to Paull Creek. The other side of the river might be passable too, I dunno, I just haven't tried it (one of those "if it works don't break it" kinda things). Most of the time I was a fair bit back from the river... several hundred yards or more. Many times the river wasn't even visible. It varied depending on the terrain (occasionally I was quite close). Near the river were most the logjams, large rocks, slide alders and young needly spruce thickets, with the more "open" forest a bit further up, atop the "toe of the slope" as you describe. When the canyon narrows even more from Hee Haw up to Paull and beyond, staying above the "toe" is completely necessary... it's a box-canyon at the river." this message is also posted in this thread east bank = south bank west bank = north bank

Rugosus

Rugosus
PostMon Feb 08, 2016 6:17 pm 
Hello Rod, Incredibly, I just purchased a original Olympic Trail Riders Trip 1936 guide for a significantly modest price. I found it in a small collectables shop on the Olympic Peninsula. It was tucked in with old greeting cards! The condition is very good considering the age. I will continue hunting for these small treasures in the future.