Forum Index > Gear Talk > My old Sweetwater filter seems to be leaking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 1:07 pm 
My filter is at least 10 years old. It's a Sweetwater Guardian; I can't tell if it was made by MSR or someone else, it is old enough I can't see any brand info on it. It's always been super-reliable. This last trip it started leaking out of the middle plunger, shooting water all over the place. The flow rate of clean water was significantly reduced, although I made it through by little trip unscathed. Any ideas how to repair this? I can't really see what the problem is. There's an O ring around the plunger, and maybe the clear plastic shaft used to be attached to the head of the thing, but now it's separated - so maybe that is what broke? If so, it does not look reparable.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 1:26 pm 
Ten years is a long time. Are you cleaning the filter regularly? Mine does the same thing when it's getting clogged and works OK after running the brush through it a few times. Could be time for a new one though.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 5:48 pm 
MSR Sweetwater If there is a leak in a seal you can send it back to MSR up here in Seattle and they will see what they can do. Or next time you come up this way bring it with you and you can stop by their repair shop and they can take a look and diagnose the problem while you wait and possibly even repair it right there. Sometimes things that are older and obviously well taken care of they will replace at no cost if there is no replacement part available. Recently I brought in an older model stove that leaked fuel when I connected the tank. There were no new fuel lines for that model so they hooked me up with a newer (not brand new) model and I was out the door in 20 minutes. I've now got a stove that works and I'm happy.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 5:53 pm 
I have a Sweetwater, the handle broke after I had it for 5 years or so and MSR replaced it for free. Always worth a try if you are in Seattle.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
letsgobobby

letsgobobby
PostSat Jul 20, 2013 8:43 pm 
what do you know, I'll be there August 23. I don't need it before then so worth a shot.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Jul 21, 2013 1:42 pm 
awsome customer service, they once sold me 2 new t-rests at cost, like 30$ another time they just gave me 2 new airpads hockeygrin.gif they will hooku up!

router.exe

router.exe
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 10:20 am 
when you say out of the middle of the plunger, do you mean the over-pressure relief hole? probably your filter is clogged up. when was the last time you replaced the cartridge?

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 12:22 pm 
MSR is good about repairs, but my sweetwater has broken twice in 3 years of service, the second time last week on a test run for my August trip. It is quite possible I just got a lemon, but with a trip coming up I bought a sawyer gravity filter..