Forum Index > Trip Reports > Our First Backpack - Ingalls Creek, July 12-13, 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:13 pm 
A couple of weeks ago, the kids and I went on our first backpacking trip. We were able to score a great deal on a new tent, and of course had to try it out. It was difficult for me to pick a location. I had these criteria: east of the mountains, to get away from the grey clouds in Puget Sound. But not so far east that it took 4 hours to get there. I didn’t want to drive south through Seattle or Bellevue, since I405 and the 520 bridge were both scheduled to be closed for the weekend and I didn’t want to deal with traffic. Since I’d be alone with the kids, I didn’t want to be miles up some dirt road or completely alone with no other hikers around. Yet I didn’t want it to be too crowded and full of rowdies. I finally settled on Ingalls Creek. I figured the flower show would be mostly over (it was) but thought it would still be nice (it was.) I wasn’t able to pack the day before, and had a difficult time getting everything figured out as far as gear and food. So it was another late start on the trail – mid afternoon just isn’t a good time to start hiking with my kids. I was bummed that it was grey on the east side; at least the grey was a lighter gloom, and it was nice and warm. There were only a few other cars at the trailhead when we got there. One car belonged to a local gal who was walking her dogs up the other gated road. She came up to me and warned me that the locals have been talking about how the rattlesnakes are thick this year, they were shedding their skins and were ornery, and people were seeing them all over up the trail. Great. So I talked to the kids about my rudimentary knowledge of snake safety (stop and stay still, don’t stick your hand in a dark hole, keep your poles with you). Nevermind that the only time I’ve ever met a rattlesnake on a trail I screamed like a ninny and was paralyzed for minutes until I finally jumped and ran, hoping the rattler had crawled into the bushes.
The kids and our stuff
The kids and our stuff
Here we go!
Here we go!
Starting out - Ingalls Creek Trailhead
Starting out - Ingalls Creek Trailhead
With that lovely thought to help spur us up the trail, we filled out our permit and began hiking.
On the trail
On the trail
Annika was hungry immediately (she hadn’t eaten much of her lunch) but I have a crazy rule that we have to hike for more than 5 minutes before we stop and have a snack. She was so sluggish and uninspired that Gabe got annoyed at how slow the girls were.
Gabe is annoyed with our pace
Gabe is annoyed with our pace
It seemed that it took us forever to get to the first camp, down a steep side trail near Ingalls Creek. We stopped there to take our packs off and discuss whether to continue on or stay there for the night. Honestly, the creek was so loud, and there wasn’t much room for the kids to run around and explore, and it just didn’t feel good, so I was able to convince the kids to keep on walking for a bit farther to see what else we could find. While we were stopped there, we felt a few raindrops, which filled me with some dread, though not as much as the thought of snakes on the trail.
Annika being goofy
Annika being goofy
Ingalls Creek from the first campsite
Ingalls Creek from the first campsite
The trail had that late summer feel, with crunchy leaves and very few flowers. There weren’t many bugs, so we were grateful. There were a lot of moths, mostly all the same variety, and Annika really enjoyed catching them and talking to them.
Annika's little moth friend
Annika's little moth friend
We soon came upon the second camp, which was in a more level section and not right next to the raging creek. But it was close enough to easily get water. We were thankful there was plenty of space there and no one else had claimed it.
Gabe was a big help setting up the tent
Gabe was a big help setting up the tent
The kids did great helping to set up the tent and get stuff unpacked. Gabe did some sketching and watercolors and found a lizard on a log.
Gabe doing some watercolors
Gabe doing some watercolors
The grey cleared up and the sun hit the top of the mountains on the other side of the creek.
Our lovely campsite
Our lovely campsite
Our tent set up real nice
Our tent set up real nice
It was time for dinner, so we tried to be quick about setting up. We had dehydrated rice and homemade “taco meat” with home dehydrated refried beans. It was pretty good, but I really need to figure out portion sizes, as we had a lot leftover that I didn’t know how to dispose of, and I wasn’t sure the best way to wash the pans and cups. Then it took me awhile to get the silly food bag hung safely on a tree, and realized I didn’t get the pot in the bag, so it would be left out. I just hoped nothing would come by in the night and chew on it. I was too tired and it was getting dark and I didn’t feel like re-doing the comedy of errors of hanging my food bag. Soon it was getting dark and the kids were getting creeped out, being all alone in the woods. We did our last potty trip, brushed our teeth and climbed in bed to read. Annika regretted not bringing her chapter book to read. We kept hearing interesting noises, but couldn’t see out of the tent. They sounded like bird noises, but the creek was so loud it was difficult to determine what we were hearing in the dark. The kids were arguing a lot because the tent was pretty cramped for the 3 of us.
Our tent - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3
Our tent - Big Agnes Fly Creek UL3
Gabe and I were pushing the walls out and Annika squirmed in the middle. But eventually we all managed to get to sleep, and had an uneventful night.
Gabe whittling in the morning sunshine
Gabe whittling in the morning sunshine
We woke up the next morning to find the sun shining and a beautiful day awaiting us. Another tent had popped up nearby; they had been so quiet coming in that we didn’t hear them in the night. It turned out to be a couple, and they slept in longer than we did. The food bag and my pot hadn’t been bothered in the night. A bunch of condensation had collected on the inside of the tent fly (I should have kept it off in the night) but it dried out nicely in the morning sunshine. There was only a little bit of condensation inside the tent itself (mostly where I was breathing right next to the wall all night.) It took me probably 3 or 4 hours to get breakfast cooked and cleaned up, get the water filtered, pack everything up, and get us back down the trail. The flies came out that morning, and the kids got annoyed enough to put on their head nets.
Snacks with Headnet
Snacks with Headnet
They had a lot more energy than the day before. We made it down the trail and back to our car in about 30 minutes. Many more folks were heading up the trail, sweating in the sun. We never did see any snakes, thank heavens. This was a good first trip for us. It was only my second time backpacking since college (many, many years ago!) and I felt pretty rusty in some areas. I need more practice figuring out where to stuff/attach everything on my pack. I had twice as much food as we needed (I always have too much, but this time it was heavy!) Gabe carried all of his gear. Annika carried her normal dayhike gear and her sleeping mat and special blanket. I carried her spare clothes and sleeping bag and everything else. We almost ran out of TP. Because of our late start on the first day, I really never had a chance to sit and rest and enjoy being out in nature; I had tasks to do the whole time. So I was pretty tired from this trip. The kids are asking when we can go out again, so I need to coordinate with another family and get another trip under our belts before school starts.
Lush green moss next to the creek
Lush green moss next to the creek
Pretty lichens and mosses
Pretty lichens and mosses
Ingalls Creek looking downstream
Ingalls Creek looking downstream
Ingalls Creek
Ingalls Creek

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:13 am 
good to see you got out with the kids up.gif looks like a fun trip

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:41 am 
Looks like the first one turned out ok. This is how it starts! Pretty soon they will be bugging you about getting out more and needing better gear. Sometimes if you are only staying one night you can take sandwiches, etc. and not do much cooking at all, maybe just a stove for hot drinks. I still do that most of the time now. Also, camping at a safe campground near hiking trails and doing day hikes is almost as good to start out. My kids used to love that and never really knew the difference when they were young.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:16 am 
Yeah, HTT, I might try making more wraps than cooked food. I also need to get over my paranoia of running out of food. paranoid.gif hockeygrin.gif We do some of that base camping and hiking stuff, but the kids have been asking me for a few years now to go backpacking. When we are on hikes to beautiful places, they yearn to stay there longer. I had to wait till they were old enough to carry most of their gear. They have been bugging me again about when we can go out again this summer. It's a lot of work, I have to psych myself up for it again. hmmm.gif

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am 
Sounds like you started them off gently, a good idea. I'm impressed that you took the big camera in addition to all the other stuff for three people. And if the fly wasn't on I bet all the condensation would have been in the tent -- so I think you did the right thing.

Canuck

Canuck
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 1:09 pm 
Hiker Mama wrote:
We do some of that base camping and hiking stuff, but the kids have been asking me for a few years now to go backpacking. When we are on hikes to beautiful places, they yearn to stay there longer. I had to wait till they were old enough to carry most of their gear. They have been bugging me again about when we can go out again this summer. It's a lot of work, I have to psych myself up for it again.
Great job doing that by yourself! You're brave! I've day hiked with my kid a lot but went on our first backpacking trip a couple of weeks ago, to Packwood Lake (but unlike your brave self, we had 3 adults, 1 teenager and two 10-year old boys so they were very well entertained & this meant mom had time to lounge lake side with a flask!). He did great, never complained (except about itching, due to MONSTER bug bites - everybody got a handful of bites, he got about 20). He's 10, and had his own external-frame pack. And he is already asking to go out on more trips, so I'm currently searching for adventure #2 to do in a week or two!

mjl

mjl
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 4:23 pm 
great report! I also took both mine out this past weekend 9only have taken one at a time before). First thing I needed to do was rent a bigger tent. (REI half dome worked well, all 8+ lbs). Having both was great. at the campsite they basically disappeared & played by the lake (Dewey) for hours and felt totally comfortable in the woods at night. Made me feel I've done something right!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 4:44 pm 
MJL, Dewey Lakes is one place I'd like to overnight. How was it? I did look into renting a tent from REI earlier this year before I got the BA, but the weight scared me. I overpack as it is, and couldn't see carrying such a heavy tent. By the way, I'm not really that brave. Stubborn, yes, slightly crazy, maybe a bit desperate. Since I've had kids I have tried so hard to find hiking partners, and sometimes it feels impossible. My kids are getting old enough that I know they won't die immediately if something happened to me, and I've grown in confidence myself. I bring a PLB and bear spray "just in case." I took a wilderness first aid class (but I need to take it again, it's been a few years). I just hate the feeling of not going out on a trip when we have the time just because I can't find someone else to go with. But I'd much prefer to have another adult along to help. It's a tough thing sometimes. I've gotten some flack from some of the people who love me about going out alone (or even without a man!! or a gun!!) but I know they give me a hard time because they do love me.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 6:44 pm 
Thank you for the very nice TR. One parent and two kids is a lot of work but you'll work out the kinks after a few overnighters.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 pm 
one down....more to go! next summer will be easier! up.gif good for you for going alone without another adult. if you have to wait for 'help', you may never go! those 'people' that gave you flack for going out alone...well, how about they just pack their gear and join you! ssshhheeessh! i did a day hike with my 'kids' yesterday. talk about work! i carried the day pack filled with 3 nalgene bottles, snacks, some clothes, and first aid. my oldest daughter was whining about the bugs, heat, and the ascents! the younger daughter would have downed her share of water if i didn't limit our breaks! we did have a great time! oh, they are 33 and 32 years old lol.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:27 pm 
Inspiring stuff!! smile.gif

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:38 pm 
Good on ya for getting out there with them! Keep at it and you'll figure out the system that works for you. Make sure to budget a little time each day for a few days before the hike for organizing and meal planning - that'll really help over just scrambling and throwing everything together the morning of. Check the Food section of this site for great meal ideas. That said, a REAL easy one is Annie's Mac & Cheese. Get the microwaveable packets as the noodles in them are pre-cooked and don't take anything at all to reconstitute. Put the noodles and the recommended amount of water per packet in a pot, bring it up to a boil, kill the heat and let it sit for a couple minutes then add the cheese powder, stir and it's ready. I'd guess that for the kids, one packet each might be enough? If you want to make it more hearty, add a pouch or can of chicken or one or two of those individual packets of spam, cut into cubes. I like jalapenos or hot sauce in mine, but guessing that might not go over with the kids. Looks like you've got a couple of future hikers there. I got into backpacking in my early 20s because of the fond memories of outings with my dad when I was a kid.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostTue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 pm 
Well-presented TR. Brings back memories of hiking with my two sons decades ago. Now when I go out for a hike or climb, they usually lead and make most of the important decisions. Congratulations on the potential positive impact you are having!

Theresa

Theresa
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 4:08 am 
What a great trip! I always love seeing kids getting out backpacking! Every trip out you'll learn more and more what to take and what you can leave at home. I seriously don't get the fear that so many people have of being out in the wilderness! Cities seem way more dangerous to me.

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 11:20 am 
Thanks for a very enjoyable TR and wonderful photos. And thanks also for this chuckle:
Hiker Mama wrote:
I have a crazy rule that we have to hike for more than 5 minutes before we stop and have a snack.
That brings back some memories. Looks like you're doing everything right for backpacking with the kids and they are well on their way to enjoying a lifetime of fun out on the trails. No doubt we'll be reading TRs from them before too many more years go by.
Hiker Mama wrote:
The kids are asking when we can go out again
There's the mark of a successful backpacking trip with kids. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.