Forum Index > Photography Talk > Fixing a Curvy Panorama (Mt. St. Helens)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John

John
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 8:41 am 
I finally found some time to straighten this photo by following ski_photomatt's advice. Both are below for comparison. What do you think? An improvement? I know some preferred the curvy look. Original: Straightened: Clicking on either one will open a much larger version. Thanks again to everyone for their tips! Now, I wonder when that dome is going to explode? BTW, the original, stitched JPEG is over 25 megapixels and takes up a hefty 125 megabytes on my hard drive. With the recent discussion over the 22 megapixel Mamiya camera, it made me wonder what the storage requirements are for that beast... Using this image as a reference, only eight photos could squeeze on a 1GB flash card! If you shot in RAW, you might be lucky to get two photos on the card! John

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 1:08 pm 
I thought the curvy look was good too but like the straightened one better. Good job. How much effort did it take?

John

John
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 5:36 pm 
Hardly any effort. It was surprisingly easy! As ski_photomatt said, the photo needs to be divided into sections and each section needs to be distorted to fit. The image below might help you. It shows approximately where the original panorama was cut and how the corners of each section were stretched to get a straight horizon.
John

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Sep 30, 2004 11:30 pm 
Yep...like both versions, but the straightened one definitely looks better IMHO. Stunning shot -- thanks for sharing it. (especially appropos with the seismic / geologic activity at the moment <grin>)

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short