Forum Index > Gear Talk > MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove (SOLD)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jul 31, 2013 2:45 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Can anybody show me how to rig a windscreen for a cannister stove so it won't heat the cannister and blow it up?
Every stove is just a little bit different. The idea is to configure your windscreen so it sets just below the top of the burner, Make especially certain it is above the canister and any of the stove parts that might melt or be damaged if heated. You must a not block, or heat up the control valve, as some use seals/o-rings/gaskets which can melt or warp (then leak and burn or explode!). This is not to mention burnt fingers when you go to turn it off! Here is a link I found which describes a couple homemade types you can look at: http://sectionhiker.com/canister-stove-wind-screens-and-how-to-make-your-own/ I have made one with an aluminum pie tin before. I cut slots to fit over the pot supports, and cut a hole just a little larger than the burner. I crimped the aluminum just enough so it would not fall down below the burner and reflected heat only upwards to the pot. You must just be careful and design your reflector so nothing below the burner is heated up. Here is another link that shows one almost exactly like I made, except I just folded up the sides of pie pan and it was all one piece. I think this is a pretty good design: http://rooinater.blogspot.com/2009/05/myog-canister-stove-windscreen-and-heat.html

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 am 
Ski wrote:
don't care what they say: beats hell out of those Colemans, and weighs less than half as much (even with a litre of gas!)
how much does this whole system weigh? The stove, the pump, heat reflector, windscreen, the canister and 3 days of fuel? That would be the actual weight of a stove for comparisons. I can't seem to find that info anywhere.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 02, 2013 8:53 pm 
msr_dragonfly_stove_and_pump_400.3_grams
msr_dragonfly_stove_and_pump_400.3_grams
msr_dragonfly_stuff_bag_20.3_grams
msr_dragonfly_stuff_bag_20.3_grams
msr_dragonfly_windscreen_57.5_grams
msr_dragonfly_windscreen_57.5_grams
msr_dragonfly_bottom_heat_shield_17.0_grams
msr_dragonfly_bottom_heat_shield_17.0_grams
msr_dragonfly_repair_kit_27.5_grams
msr_dragonfly_repair_kit_27.5_grams
msr_dragonfly_manual_44.0_grams
msr_dragonfly_manual_44.0_grams
msr_11_ounce_bottle_full_329.3_grams
msr_11_ounce_bottle_full_329.3_grams
MSR Dragonfly stove and pump only - 400.3 grams MSR Dragonfly stuff bag - 20.3 grams MSR Dragonfly windscreen * - 57.5 grams MSR Dragonfly bottom heat shield * - 17.0 grams MSR Dragonfly complete repair kit * - 27.5 grams MSR Dragonfly repair manuals ** - 44.0 grams MSR 11 ounce fuel bottle - full *** - 329.3 grams the scale only has a 610 gram capacity, so the larger fuel bottles were weighed by Mike at Albertsons: MSR 22 ounce fuel bottle - full *** - 1.38 pounds MSR 33 ounce fuel bottle - full *** - 1.90 pounds all three of my Coleman Peak1 Stoves were well over 610 grams, and in the hand feel heavier than the full 33 ounce MSR fuel bottle. * new - never opened or used ** weight is for all four manuals (various languages) still sealed in factory wrapper *** fuel bottles were filled with white gas to "fill" mark

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostFri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 pm 
I wish all of that was in ounces. Good info though.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Aug 03, 2013 9:21 am 
start button - run - calc

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:00 pm 
Ski wrote:
MSR Dragonfly stove and pump only - 400.3 grams MSR Dragonfly windscreen * - 57.5 grams MSR Dragonfly bottom heat shield * - 17.0 grams MSR 11 ounce fuel bottle - full *** - 329.3 grams
adds up to 804 grams (1.77 lbs = 28.3 oz). Is the full 11 ounce bottle enough for 2 people for 3 nights? My Coleman peak one weighs in at 900 grams (1.97 lbs = 31.5 oz) filled with enough white gas for 2 people for 3 nights (just completed the trip). extremely useful info and rarely found as most stove manufacturers and ultralighters will never give the full weight of their system, usually they just give the stove weight, which is worthless w/o the fuel and bottles and other accutraments that are needed to make the stove actually functional in the backcountry. Thanks for the info. My triple beam goes out to 1500grams. here is a very useful conversion calculatorconversion calculator

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:12 pm 
Sarvesh wrote:
My Coleman peak one weighs in at 900 grams (1.97 lbs = 31.5 oz)
which model? there were several different "Peak1" models manufactured. as far as fuel consumption rates, that's anybody's guess. it all depends upon what and how you are cooking. I'm not simply bringing a liter of water to a boil and pouring it into a bag. I'm actually cooking stuff, and boiling a lot of water for tea. I seem to recall a trip where I used up all the fuel in my Coleman (#550B) and a 22-ounce MSR bottle in just under two days- hanging out in camp drinking tea all day and telling lies. I've been using a Dragonfly three years, and still have only a vague idea of how much fuel I'll need. Packing both the 22-ounce and 33-ounce bottles in the pack, and will leave an 11-ounce and another 33-ounce bottle in the truck at the trailhead for a just-in-case backup.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Aug 07, 2013 12:37 pm 
550B 15 years of use, I know exactly how much fuel I need, a completely filled 550B fuel tank (900gms total weight)will get me three dinners and breakfasts and all the tea and soup 2 people can consume. I cook food, toast bagels, drink tea, oatmeal, pasta, rice, soup. The 2 people are usually me and my wife, she likes to use hot water to wash hands and face. Luxury hiking for sure. I was never fond of the boiled water dehydrated bits in a bag stuff.