Forum Index > Food & Grub > where's Sarbar? I wanna eat this in the backcountry.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostSun Aug 11, 2013 9:24 pm 
Quote:
Also, if you make hummus and leave the oil out (and add in camp) you can dry it!
So make the hummus, do dishes, dehydrate it, then start over at camp? I just buy powdered hummus mix from the bulk bins section but I do realize that some people really enjoy cooking.

soUthinkUcanCamp
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Aug 11, 2013 9:25 pm 
Either way really works. I like cooking though. And I have my own taste - so for me I only use instant hummus if I have to. Now though, I have to pretty much cook everything, with our youngest son's allergies. Sigh.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Aug 11, 2013 10:22 pm 
Critter wrote:
I just buy powdered hummus mix from the bulk bins section but I do realize that some people really enjoy cooking.
I would go through all that trouble because I enjoy food that tastes good. That is not powdered hummus from the store. :P

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 pm 
nuclear eggset wrote:
I would go through all that trouble because I enjoy food that tastes good. That is not powdered hummus from the store. :P
uhhh.... yeah. smile.gif you mean there's no emoticon for alt+0222? :Þ thanks... put a little thing of it into the freezer... just wondered if it would do something weird if I froze it.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Aug 12, 2013 8:27 am 
The worst with freezing hummus is you have to mix it up really good once thawed. Not a huge issue!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 15, 2013 11:56 pm 
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_01
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_01
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_02
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_02
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_03
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_03
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_04
freeze-dried_kibbles-and-bits-in-a-bag_free_zone_04
can't recall what the name of the cheese was the lady sold to me. some variety of Gouda. hard. tasty. kept well. will write down the name next time. the Trader Joe's organic cranberries are fabulous plumped up in oatmeal. they actually taste like cranberry. I'll pack the spaghetti sauce in larger portions next time. one-half-cup dry was a little shy for me.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 04, 2013 1:54 am 
another exciting installment of adventures at the north end grill! tonight's episode: why you should never buy bottled barbecue sauce it's really pretty simple:
barbecue_sauce_ingredients
barbecue_sauce_ingredients
apple cider vinegar molasses a good mustard some tomato sauce a small can of El Pato tomato sauce to add just a little heat. not blow-off-the-top-of-your-head heat, but the sneak-up-behind-you-and-make-your-cheekbones-sweat kind of heat. a little olive oil a big onion, minced fine - a Hermiston sweet here fresh garlic, minced fine - two good-sized heads here salt - about a tablespoon black pepper - a teaspoon or so oregano leaf - about half a cup ground cumin - about a third of a cup here a little pinch of dried red chili flakes a little bit of thyme about a teaspoon of paprika not shown in photo: a fistful of brown sugar - about a cup in a dry pan, heat the cumin a bit to bring out full flavor. do not scorch. remove from pan and set aside. in a little oil, saute the onion and garlic a bit. add all the herbs and spices.
saute_onion_garlic_spices
saute_onion_garlic_spices
add the tomato sauce. generally I use about half as much vinegar as tomato sauce. for this batch, I added about two cups of the apple cider vinegar, about 2 cups of molasses, about a quarter cup of mustard, and the brown sugar. mix everything well, fill the pot with water.
everything_in_the_pot
everything_in_the_pot
stir frequently to prevent it from scorching. as it cooks down, reduce heat to prevent scorching. if you're feeling adventurous and you want to add a little whoop-ass, try any combination of a hotter mustard, prepared horseradish, or more dried red chilis. the stuff from the Russian deli with the Babushka lady on the label is highly recommended.
chiles_and_babushka
chiles_and_babushka
of course, there's always the tried and true jalapeño. simmer at least three hours, or until the basting brush stands up.
simmered_three_hours
simmered_three_hours
until_the_basting_brush_stands_up
until_the_basting_brush_stands_up
grill salted ribs about 40 minutes, spread sauce on, grill five minutes and turn, put sauce on other side, grill five minutes. remove from grill and place on foil-lined cookie sheet.
grilled_fifty_minutes
grilled_fifty_minutes
put some more sauce on the ribs.
more_sauce_before_tenting
more_sauce_before_tenting
pour a little water on the cookie sheet, cover with foil and seal edges. place in 300° F oven for about half an hour and serve.
ribs_and_sweet_potato
ribs_and_sweet_potato
don't forget to leave room for dessert.
plum_pie_090313
plum_pie_090313
I put the extra sauce into small containers and put them in the freezer. This batch made enough for four good-sized racks of ribs.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Sep 04, 2013 8:16 am 
I hate you. lol.gif That looks way too good!

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 am 
everybody who's ever eaten my ribs tells me I should bottle that sauce and sell it. but... I don't have blue eyes, so I don't know how it would go over. smile.gif

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Sep 08, 2013 11:09 am 
Critter wrote:
I just buy powdered hummus mix from the bulk bins section
I've tried this several times and have concluded mixed up powdered hummus is (for whatever reason) the most fartatious food on the planet. Even hiking by yourself it's worth a second thought!

wkf

wkf
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 6:34 pm 
Thanks for the pics and write-ups of the dehydrating experiments on this thread Ski. A lot of questions I had about dehyrating have been answered. I would like to direct another question to the resident expert Sarbar if she doesn't mind, other than storage life as you have already mentioned, are there other good reasons to avoid keeping fat in your dehydrated foods? I would like to save the fat for its caloric value in particular.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 7:21 pm 
The reason behind removing fat is shelf life - fat can go rancid in meat and dairy. But! The best thing for hiking? Single packets of olive oil biggrin.gif http://minimus.biz/Marconi-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-packet-F01-0851202-1200.aspx

wkf

wkf
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 7:53 pm 
Thanks, so in your experience, how quickly are we talking? Like if you were to leave some of the oil/fat from ground beef instead of completely draining it off, how long would that last in the freezer after it's dehydrated? I ask because I don't always plan on storing dehydrated foods in my freezer for a long time (some things yes, others no). I'm much more likely to make it like the same week or possibly a month in advance at the most. I should be okay with most things if I use it within 2 weeks assuming it's stored in the freezer, yeah? Thanks again for your help

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Feb 05, 2014 8:05 pm 
Just freeze after drying and use up within 3 months of drying smile.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Aug 31, 2014 12:50 pm 
Was inspired by a photo in a recent trip report and thought I'd try my own version. Quick run-down without all the photos: 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean) 1 large sweet onion, minced fine in the chopper 6 fat cloves garlic, minced fine in the chopper 2/3 cup ground cumin 2/3 cup dried oregano 1 tsp thyme 1 tsp paprika 1/4 tsp dried red chili flakes 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp black pepper - splash of Tabasco - splash of olive oil 3 15 oz. cans diced tomatoes (1 regular, 2 with "diced green chilies") 2 15 oz. cans dark red kidney beans 1 15 oz. can Cannellini beans (they didn't have light red Kidney beans) In a dry pan, toast the ground cumin lightly to bring out flavor. Do not scorch it! Remove and set aside. Brown ground beef and drain on paper towels. Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil. Add cumin, oregano, thyme, salt, pepper, chili flakes, paprika, and beef. Add tomatoes and beans. Fill pot with water to top. Bring up almost to boil, reduce heat, simmer 3-4 hours until thick. Spread on parchment on dehydrator trays. Dehydrate @ 135° F for 14 hours. 2 cups cooked chili yielded 1-1/3 cup dry product. Note I marked bags "Add 2/3 - 1 cup water". I've noted in other threads people are saying it requires a bit more water and/or cooking to get the beans to rehydrate. This one was too easy. Should have thought of it before. Pretty simple recipe- I'm sure you could doctor it up a bit. The diced tomatoes with the "diced green chilis" made it a bit spicier than I'd anticipated, but it wasn't too bad. We'll see how it turns out in the field later.
chili_083114
chili_083114
(* the recipe above yielded more than the six cups I dehydrated- that's all that was left after many samplings.)