Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Airplane crash near Mineral (a few decades ago)
Previous :: Next Topic  
hikerjo

hikerjo

PostFri Jul 09, 2004 6:40 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
If you want to see a C-47, check out the link to the following thread.  I posted these pictures awhile ago on this site.  I took them myself.

Old Air Base Photograph
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
hikerjo

hikerjo

PostFri Jul 09, 2004 6:42 pm 
If anyone else wants information on an airplane crash that they know about, send me a message.  I will do whatever I can to get you information. The catch is, I get to know about the crash site.  I take good care of them.   smile.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
LittleHikerMom
Mom to a little girl

LittleHikerMom

Mom to a little girl
PostFri Jul 09, 2004 11:37 pm 
That is very interesting....
Snowpuppy

Snowpuppy

PostSun Jul 18, 2004 4:11 pm 
Great Airplane
I've flown 3 different ones.  Very nice aircraft.
Beth

Beth

PostSat Oct 02, 2004 12:01 am 
Ladd mountain plane crash
rolleyes.gif   My husband has hiked Ladd Mountain as a junior camper many times and he explored the plane crash on Ladd mountain twice in the mid to late 60's.  He remembers that other people would take artifacts from the plane.  He even recalls the leather helmet taken from the plane by one gentleman.  He tried to revisit the plane crash site in the mid 70's, but got lost with a group of young junior campers and took all day to get back just in time for dinner to the campground.  Pleasant Valley Christian Camp is at the base of Ladd Mountain and the plane crash is accessible from the campground.  It is private property, so I recommend seeking permission before exploring this mountain.

--------------
Beth Ladd
Beth

Beth

PostSat Oct 02, 2004 11:01 am 
Plane crash on Ladd Mountain
Hi,
My wife posted a message regarding the plane crash on Ladd mountain.  I am her husband and was the one who had the opportunity in the 60's to visit the site.  It was pretty spectacular.  I was able to walk across the wing piece of the plane, and the wreckage was strewn for some distance up and down the side of the mountain.  It appeared to be a small plane, perhaps 4 or 6 seater.  Many people took stuff away from the site, to the point I am sure that what might be left is very minimal (if anything, and most of that would be completely overgrown).  I do not think it is on private property, but rather national forest property, but I can't say for sure.  The hike was exciting, not much of a trail to follow, and that is why after visiting it as a junior higher twice, when in college I took a group of hearty high schoolers up, I couldn't find it (both because the trail was pretty much non-existent and the fact that so much had been taken from the crash).
Another interesting tidbit about the area - there used to be an old coal mining camp up on Ladd mountain, which has been shut down since (closed in the late 50's, I think).  The mining camp/town worked that whole mountain; as a kid I explored the mines (wasn't supposed to) and saw so many cool things left from the camp of the miners.  It was as if they just departed and left everything behind.  In the cabins (no longer exist, a private camp is there now) there were journals, and boots, and lanterns, and all kinds of stuff.  It was very surreal.

--------------
Beth Ladd
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Airplane crash near Mineral (a few decades ago)
  Happy Birthday HundsSolo!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: