Forum Index > Trail Talk > Is Snow Lake a safe bet for me and my dad?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
teasethedog
Lurker

teasethedog
Lurker
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 7:41 pm 
Hi, all. Here's my situation: My father and I go hiking all of the time in Olympic National Park. Traffic from the city has completely choked the hood canal bridge and the ferries, so I invited my dad over to this side for day trips instead. We usually go camping, but I don't want to add to the morass. I've investigated a hike to Snow Lake off Alpental road. I understand that the hike is supposed to be easy, and I expect that I can make it pretty easily. My father is 54, overweight, and out of shape. For those who are familiar with the peninsula, my father's limit is the Hurricane Hill quickie, mainly because of the steep grade halfway through and up to the top. Easy grades tend not to bother him all that much. Will he be able to handle the trail up to snow lake? Also, is the trail to the lake as far as is posted? I've heard conflicting reports that the trail is 4 miles and 2.5 miles... Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 8:15 pm 
The elevation gain into Snow Lake is 1300 feet in and 400 feet out. Part of it is in the sun with switchbacks. The gain into nearby Source Lake is only 500 feet. If it were my father I might opt for the safest route and just go to Source Lake. It has the biggest bang for your buck in that area. It is a different area but the Naches Loop by Rainier is only 700 feet of gain and has great views. If the day is sunny try to pick either a forested hike or one which does not expose the person to the southern slopes which have intense sun. The Evergreen Mtn Lookout road will take you to 4200 feet and then the lookout is at 5587. It is a ridgewalk and one can quit whenever they like and still have great views the entire way.

RainierRidgeRunner

RainierRidgeRunner
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 10:08 pm 
I'll second the vote for Snow Lake (both). There are two that I know about, the one I think you are referring to is in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness north of Snoqualmie Pass. Went on it last year. Alot of people, but great views. Its around seven miles roundtrip. The other Snow Lake near Rainier off of Stevens Canyon Road is about 2.5 miles round trip. I think that is why you are hearing different distances. It's an easy route past Bench and Snow Lake. I like running on this route. Both offer great views. smile.gif

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostTue Aug 27, 2002 10:28 pm 
You may be hearing two different distances because there are two trails into Snow Lake. One is the old trail which goes past Source Lake and the other was dynamited into the rock wall. The old trail went over the top of snow in a gully and was unsafe when the snow melted beneath into ice caves.

teasethedog
Lurker

teasethedog
Lurker
PostThu Aug 29, 2002 4:03 pm 
Thanks for your help. I like the idea of Source lake. Now comes the real challenge: how do I get my old dad to go!!! biggrin.gif