Forum Index > Photography Talk > Mirrorless Camera Decision
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kite

kite
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 am 
So last year I got one of the Nikon V1 mirrorless cameras its ok, but it have some image quality issues and its controls suck. I want to replace it with another mirrorless system but its kind of overwhelming, was hoping I might get some good ideas for suggestions? Or what your using? Would like to have a list: Viewfinder (can never see the screen in bright sunlight) On/off switch (not a button) something that you use with a glove on. Manual control settings not buried 4 levels down in the menu.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 9:14 am 
I've been using a Sony NEX6 for the past few months, switching to this after using a Canon 40d for years. I'm very happy with it. It has a nice electronic viewfinder and a tilting LCD. I use the viewfinder most of the time and it's pretty impressive how far the electronic ones have come. At first I thought the tilting LCD was gimmicky but it's actually very handy for macro and flower photos. It does have a on/off switch too, not a button. Most of the manual controls are accessible and there is a custom button that can be remapped too. Some things are a little buried but not too bad. The NEX7 has a better control layout but it's more expensive and doesn't have as fast autofocus.

Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 10:34 am 
The essential question is how much $$ do you have to invest? I'll second Opus on up.gif for Sony - I have an NEX-7 and while not perfect it has been a great camera. If you go Sony I'd wait another month or so because they have many announcements scheduled - NEX-7 upgrade and rumors of a full frame NEX ($$$ for body + lenses).

mike

mike
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 11:36 am 
I have an OMD and like it fine. Controls are very easy. Body is weather sealed as is the 12~50 which makes a good combo. Weight 1˝lbs. Choice of super HQ µ4:3 lenses is pretty thin although some new ones are promised. Same with the Sony. But the attraction of the NEX and µ4:3 is the small size. Actually the kit lenses are quite good and cheap. If I wanted to pack big bright glass I'd get a Nikon. If I was in the market now I'd buy the OMD again but hold off until the release of its successor (which doesn't appeal to me). Then the prices will drop a bunch. NEX is also a good choice but I already have a bunch of Zuiko lenses. Try before you buy.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 12:54 pm 
Canon and Nikon and probably many others are working on full frame mirrorless right now. I'm patiently waiting...

ericande

ericande
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm 
I recently rented a Fuji XE1 for a trip to Olympus and was really happy with it, all these shots were taken with that camera: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8006721 I recently purchased a Sony NEX-3 because I got a great deal on it and it should be there in time for Friday when I plan on taking it on a 1-day trip through the Enchantments. If I like it as much as I hope, I plan on selling all my DSLR gear and getting the new NEX-7 replacement. Some great new lenses coming out for this system. I'm hoping to replace all my SLR gear to save a lot of weight and have a cheaper looking system for some upcoming travel to some pretty poor places. From using the Fuji and playing a bit with the Sony system, the Fuji is a super simple camera that makes some beautiful photos. The Sony lineup is a bit more 'techie' and has more features. Personally, I'd prefer the Fuji system as an addition to my SLR kit for when I want something light and simple and more fun to shoot. The Sony hopefully will have all the features I need to survive with just that for a couple years. Sony has a new mirrorless full-frame system coming out soon. The cost and size of the lenses won't work for me but it will probably be nice.

kite

kite
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:45 pm 
Good input, Jim you take your ski images with NEX-7? Lens-Rentals has NEX-7, Fuji X-Pro, Leica X Vario and the Olympus so I will give them a try Schroder, me too, was not to pleased with the V1 the rep says they fixed all in the V2

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostMon Aug 26, 2013 7:55 pm 
I've been shooting with a Fuji X-E1 for about 6mo now and am very pleased. A few observations: *Takes noticeably better images than my Canon 40D with good glass *(obvious driver in the purchase) awesome to carry in terms of size/weight *The 18-55 "kit" lens is incredible. Better than the Canon 17-40 f/4L and the 17-55 f/2.8, both of which are great. *Controls are fairly intuitive *Camera is not for the casual shooter. It's controls are old-school and take some thinking to use. There's no 'green square' mode. *AF is the primary thing about the camera that I give negative marks. It's not up to par with modern DSLR. Not a problem for landscapes but not as good for fast moving kids (of which I have two) or pets. It'd be a nightmare for birds in flight! *EVF is good, I prefer it to the dark tunnel of the 40D, but probably not to say an old film body or a FF DSLR. *there's a WOW factor to the images off the X-trans sensor that I couldn't see with some test-shots I took from a friend's OMD and what I could glean off the net for the Sony NEX cameras.

silence

silence
PostWed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm 
I just bought a Panasonic Lumix G5 .. I got a sweet deal at B & H for only $350 I switched from my D90 for backpacking because of the weight .. but admittedly the Lumix mirrorless doesn't stand up to the quality of Nikon. Still I'm pretty happy with it .. low light seems to be the biggest prob, but I'm not a night shooter so it may just be my own inexperience. I've had it out now on 2 backpacks ... and don't miss the Nikon .. My husband is buying the new Black Magic Cinema video camera and the 4/3rds lenses are compatible with both which makes the switch even more advantageous for us .. Here are some shots I took with it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33792231@N00/sets/72157635234828808/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/33792231@N00/sets/72157634959507536/

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 8:15 am 
In the end if you are shooting for screen viewing most all of the modern cameras will give good results. It was nice seeing large sizes of silence's images from Mt. Rainier that certainly show the Panasonic can do the job up.gif kite, most of the time I have been carrying the NEX-7 and Tamron 18-200mm in a hip belt case on my pack for skiing this last year. I still use my trusty old Canon S90 when I need to go really light, like on Rainier this summer, but when I get home I miss the quality and size of the Sony images (for printing larger). BTW, I always shoot RAW and spend significant time tweaking in post.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 10:16 am 
Are the prints you have hanging up at Fish Tale Brewing from the NEX? I've got a similar setup now with a Sony NEX6, 16-50mm and 55-210mm. Leaning towards that Tamron or the Sony version (for the phase-detection autofocus) for versatility. Then my little s95 for going light. I do miss some things about my Canon 40d but the NEX is better (technology progresses...). Sony also announced a 16-70mm f/4 Zeiss lens. Sounds pretty nice. Sony 16-70mm lens

JimK

JimK
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 2:08 pm 
Any comments on the Sony NEX-5R? I see that Adorama has it, with the 18-55mm lens, on sale for $489.00 - 2% Cash Back at Fat Wallet for a total of $479.22 delivered. Must add to cart to see discounted price. Silver NEX-5R Black NEX-5R

mike

mike
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm 
18mm isn't wide enough for me. Otherwise a good deal.

silence

silence
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 2:40 pm 
the micro 4/3rds 14-42 kit lens i got with the lumix isn't even wide enough ..

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Exposed

Exposed
PostSat Aug 31, 2013 8:04 am 
I have been using an Olympus epl-2 with the 14-42 kit lens for about 3 years now on pack trips. I cannot say enough about the camera. It is light and the photos are just great. I have done 20x30 canvas prints. It does not have a viewfinder but I purchased the VF-2 finder and enjoy it. It is not weather sealed so that may be a concern. I would go with the OMD and the 12mm f2 Oly lens. Photos from my Stevens to Wenatchee Pass a couple of weeks ago all taken with this setup: http://dawsonphoto.smugmug.com/Category/Stevens-to-Pear-Lake-on-the Randy

"Digital is like shaved legs on a man - very smooth and clean but there is something acutely disconcerting about it." www.dawsonphoto.com