Forum Index > Gear Talk > How to fix my old tent?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 6:19 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
I see that one of the marmot tents at REI has a teardrop shaped plastic window, I wonder how long that window will hold up?
Were you thinking of the Marmot Limestone 4P? I purchased that tent in 2010 (?). I've used it at Kalaloch in a mild storm, 40 mph winds. I've also used it up at Rainier in December. I haven't had any issues with the window. The windows not even turning yellow or cracking like I thought it would. I do have an issue with the zipper. But it's probably got some fine sand in it from when we were camping at Scott Creek since that's when the problem started. I currently use it for backpacking but I won't recommend it as a backpacking tent. As the name suggests, it's a 13 lb stone. It's currently on sale at backcountry.com for $271.16.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 6:35 pm 
I've fixed a number of leaks in the cheap blow up mattresses and saved a Thermo-rest that my cat decided to sharpen it's claws on, so your water leaks shouldn't be a problem. Shoe Goo works well too, and what I used till I found the marine variety of Goop 3-4 years ago. I give it at least 24 hrs to dry before I put it into use. Especially important if you're using it on a mattress.

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 8:43 pm 
markh752 wrote:
Were you thinking of the Marmot Limestone 4P?
No, I'm not really thinking of it. I just noticed it was on the floor at the Oly REI and saw it had a pvc window. The windows on the Eureka tent fall apart in storage. One day you pitch your tent and you find that the window has completely fallen out or has started to crack.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
markh752 wrote:
Were you thinking of the Marmot Limestone 4P?
Maybe I should have asked... were you referring to the Marmot Limestone 4P? rolleyes.gif

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 9:03 pm 
Maybe what you really need is a kickstarter campaign to fund a new tent. I'm down w repairing gear but this tent sounds pretty thrashed.

~Mom jeans on wheels
markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 9:06 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Maybe what you really need is a kickstarter campaign to fund a new tent. I'm down w repairing gear but this tent sounds pretty thrashed.
lol.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 9:56 pm 
No no no.. I love this old tent! The shoe goo on the outside helped some. I think I'll get some marine goo to apply to the inside. This tent has been coast to coast with me and we took it to the grand canyon and to the redwoods and so many places. The tent would be just fine if Eureka had done a proper repair job on the defective PVC window. It's pitched in my yard right now and my duagher is begging to sleep in it tonight, so we probably will. Maybe tomorrow I will contact Eureka and complain about their crappy repair job.. but it's been so long that I don't know how much traction I can gain from it.
markh752 wrote:
DigitalJanitor wrote:
lol.gif

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 9:58 pm 
markh752 wrote:
Maybe I should have asked... were you referring to the Marmot Limestone 4P? rolleyes.gif
When you mentioned it was on sale somewhere it sounded like you thought I wanted to buy one. It does look like a very nice tent but the PVC window spoils it.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostThu Aug 29, 2013 11:12 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
I see that one of the marmot tents at REI has a teardrop shaped plastic window, I wonder how long that window will hold up?
markh752 wrote:
I haven't had any issues with the window. The windows not even turning yellow or cracking like I thought it would
Ranger Rock wrote:
No, I'm not really thinking of it. I just noticed it was on the floor at the Oly REI and saw it had a pvc window.
I guess I have nothing to offer you and I'm just wasting my time posting my opinion/experience!!!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:39 am 
Ranger Rock wrote:
When you mentioned it was on sale somewhere it sounded like you thought I wanted to buy one. It does look like a very nice tent but the PVC window spoils it.
The window probably yellows in the sun easily and if it is exposed to cold it will probably crack. You should probably buy another tent just like/similar to your current tent. suuure.gif

Frosty

Frosty
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 8:44 am 
I can understand the desire to hold on to a tent because of the fond memories it brings back, I have just such a tent in the shed...one of its supports got a bit bent when one of the kids had it out for the weekend. If I wanted, I could use it, but really-that was three or for tents ago...! Get yourself a new one and save the Eureka for kids camping in the yard or be prepared to tarp the thing. My son packs an industrial strength cat rental tarp to set up over their tent when truck camping.

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 10:23 am 
Frosty wrote:
I can understand the desire to hold on to a tent because of the fond memories it brings back, I have just such a tent in the shed...one of its supports got a bit bent when one of the kids had it out for the weekend. If I wanted, I could use it, but really-that was three or for tents ago...! Get yourself a new one and save the Eureka for kids camping in the yard or be prepared to tarp the thing. My son packs an industrial strength cat rental tarp to set up over their tent when truck camping.
Yeah, tarping it seems like it might be the only viable solution for winter camping. I guess 9 years is an okay life span for a tent. I might take one more shot at sealing it. Now that my family is smaller I could get probably get away with a two person tent. I'm pretty sure my spouse is too sick to ever camp again and my oldest child flew the coop this summer. The military version of this tent is a two person tent and it does not have the pvc window.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 12:10 pm 
Okay I called Eureka and they offered to sell me a new rain fly for half price plus free shipping. The total with tax came to $75. They are sending me a free new zipper pull for the body too. If I can get another 4 years out of this tent body with this new rain fly, I'll be happy. Eureka said that as a general rule you can only expect the tent fly to last 5 years. I'll make sure the window on this new fly is kept in the shade at all times, that should help. The last one only lasted 4 years.. But 4 years for $75 seems like a good enough deal to me. Plus I get to keep my tent.. The only bummer is with the three day weekend and Eureka doing inventory, it might be two weeks before the new fly comes.
wanapum-small-for-contest
wanapum-small-for-contest
tent-at-nehalem-for-contest
tent-at-nehalem-for-contest
stick-bug-near-our-tent-Montana-2011
stick-bug-near-our-tent-Montana-2011
tent-in-Ohio
tent-in-Ohio
In the mean time I enterered a photo contest on their site, the prize for the winner is a new tent.. crossing my fingers..

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:04 pm 
Ranger Rock, quoting Eureka wrote:
you can only expect the tent fly to last 5 years
maybe the clear plastic window. UV is hell on plastic. the fly on my 1964 White Stag tent is still in excellent condition. still repels rain. water repellent coating is still in good condition. only reason I picked up the little REI HalfDome II last fall was because it was so much work finding enough rocks to hold down the 28 pegs the White Stag used. and you know: you can buy that clear plastic sheeting by the foot. I bought a piece years ago and made a miniature greenhouse with it. used it for several years, growing Gerbera Daisy in the basement with a "Gro-Lux" light. sold it at a garage sale about ten years later for ten bucks. sheeting was still in good condition. maybe you should look into some sheeting that is a bit more UV resistant.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Aug 30, 2013 1:10 pm 
I think that PVC windows on a tent are a bad idea.. Maybe when the new rainfly comes I can just cover the window with cloth. I wish they made that rainfly without the stupid PVC window.... I know, I'll cover the PVC with Green duct tape as soon as it arrives, then maybe my new rainfly will stay waterproof.