Forum Index > Trail Talk > What did this sign say?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSun Sep 01, 2013 8:28 pm 
This sign in encountered in the Dry Creek trail just before one crosses BACK over the creek on the way back DOWN to Lake Cushman. I wonder what it said?
what-did-this-sign-say
what-did-this-sign-say
Also does anyone know how or why Kristin Delaney died on this trail? No point in googling it.. all you will get is my blog..
kristin-delaney-what-happed-to-here-up-there
kristin-delaney-what-happed-to-here-up-there

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
graffiti

graffiti
PostSun Sep 01, 2013 9:54 pm 
Tall, thin houses ahead?

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
GeoHiker
Rocky Walker

GeoHiker
Rocky Walker
PostSun Sep 01, 2013 10:59 pm 
Trail goes this way or it's a sign advertizing ice cream cones for sale at the RS. biggrin.gif

You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye......Eagles
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 12:40 am 
up

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 10:22 am 
Maybe stock crossing ahead? The bridge is long gone though so it's all stock crossing now..

LewisGoes

LewisGoes
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 11:47 am 
I seem to recall "Smokey the bear" posters on little wooden signs like these a long time ago.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 12:00 pm 
The sign on the Dry Creek Trail is up much higher than this one. Maybe it had fishing rules on it or trail mileage..

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 12:34 pm 
Ranger Rock....many times, those kind of boards are used to post messages on trail conditions, hazards etc. They have that little 'roof' on the top to keep most of the precipitation off the message. Another possiblity is that it is an old phone mount from a lookout phone. But probably not.... cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 1:11 pm 
Ah, maybe it was a warning that that bridge was washed out and the Creek is not safe to cross.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 7:06 pm 
I found a death record for a Kristin Marie Delaney, born 10/08/68. She died 09/16/86 in Pierce County. The Tacoma Public Library apparently has an obituary in its records but the link is broken.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 pm 
Seventy2002 wrote:
I found a death record for a Kristin Marie Delaney, born 10/08/68. She died 09/16/86 in Pierce County. The Tacoma Public Library apparently has an obituary in its records but the link is broken.
Thanks.. I may one day just have to go down and fork out the money to get her death certificate so I can find out what happened. There is nothing dangerous on that trail and she was quite young so it's a real mystery. It's kind of creepy for me because she is within a year of my age and I am often up there all alone on that trail. I do genealogy and it seems that obituaries have become a real money maker. The marker says she died there on the trail, but that is in Mason county.. maybe she was declared dead in Pierce county? [quote]Obtaining a Copy of this Tacoma Area Obituary The Tacoma Public Library has discontinued its obituary search and copy service. There are other ways to obtain copies of obituaries if you are not able to visit us here at the Library to use the microfilm in person:
Quote:
The Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society provides this service for a fee. Please visit their website at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~watpcgs/ for more information. The Washington State Library provides an obituary search service, although sometimes the backlog is considerable. Here is a link to their information page at http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/obituaries.aspx Request microfilm of the local papers through your library's Inter-Library Loan program, if available. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 9:19 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
The marker says she died there on the trail, but that is in Mason county.. maybe she was declared dead in Pierce county?
This is pure speculation but someone seriously injured on that trail might have been airlifted to a hospital in Tacoma. The Mason County Sheriff / SAR might have a record.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 9:26 pm 
I don't know how things worked in '86 but I know that these days they airlift people from Mason County to Harboview in Seattle.. There is a helicopter pad down on the causeway about 5 miles from the spot where the cross says she died. Maybe Ranger Bruce would know something about this, it's not too far from Staircase.

Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostMon Sep 02, 2013 9:45 pm 
Ranger Rock wrote:
The sign on the Dry Creek Trail is up much higher than this one. Maybe it had fishing rules on it or trail mileage..
That is usually the typical sign where the Ranger posts trail conditions like, "The fish are jumping The flowers are bluming The birds are singing". smile.gif

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Jun 18, 2014 2:20 pm 
I finally went to the health department and asked them to take a peak at her death certificate for me. Her name and date and county of death on the marker are correct. Kristin Delaney Died 9-13-1986, Mason County There was no autopsy but her case was referred to the medical examiners office The certificate does not state the cause of death but it does say that there were "no external injuries" The clerk found it quite odd that no cause of death was listed. She was 17 when she died and she had no external injuries, that is the only new information I have.