Forum Index > Trip Reports > Maude and Seven Fingered Jack 9/25-9/26 2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 9:38 am 
I headed east over Stevens Pass on Tuesday hoping to string together a few day hikes between weather systems. The rain accompanied me about as far as Rock Mountain but by the time I reached the Chiwawa things were looking brighter. I took a late afternoon walk up the Basalt Peak Trail. The steep lower 1.5 miles of the trail has been rerouted into God knows how many miles of barely perceptible rise. After a couple switchbacks I took a more direct approach. The upper part of the trail goes through a fairly recent burn.
Wednesday morning I drove up to the Phelps Creek TH. The last couple of miles of the road are truly horrendous. Although it was the last day of the high hunt I saw few vehicles on the way and there was only one car at the trailhead. The trails are in good shape up to Leroy Basin. Despite being able to see the whole route up to Seven Fingered Jack from the basin I still managed to start up too soon from the traverse on the upper mountain and add a sub-summit to the day's activities before continuing far enough to the left for the easy ascent to the summit. On the descent I angled over to connect with the Carne Mountain High Route at about 6700' before deciding that I really didn't feel perky enough to head for Maude. I wish I had decided that while I was still on Seven Fingered Jack because it would have been nice to spend the afternoon hanging out in the pleasant weather on the summit.
Seven Fingered Jack
Seven Fingered Jack
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Red Mountain
Red Mountain
Clark
Clark
Spectacle Buttes
Spectacle Buttes
Maude
Maude
Bonanza
Bonanza
Thursday morning I headed back up Phelps Creek to where it crosses Box Creek. Following this report from 2008 I turned on an obvious trail just after the creek. This went maybe 25 yards into the forest and then headed steeply uphill The first 250 feet or so were fairly brushy but then there was a rock band and it was mostly walking through berry bushes and similar stuff up to where I hit the ridge top at about 5200'. Around 6000' things flattened out. I crossed a cairned trail at 6400' that appeared to be connecting the Box and Chipmunk Basins. I came off the ridge to a creek and ascended to the 7000' saddle and the Carne Mountain High Route. From here I tried to lose as little elevation as practicable crossing the next basin to the next saddle at about 7400'. There were two sketchy looking trails from here leading across the scree toward the saddle above Ice Lakes. It was much more inviting just to head uphill toward Point 8017 (Freezer). Unfortunately the descent on the other side was complicated by a mix of shallow snow and lurking ice. The ascent went up into the clouds to reach the summit of Maude. I spent an hour on top watching views come and go. There wasn't even a hint of wind so despite the lack of sun it was comfortable. On the way down I took the highest trail leading across the scree from the Ice Lakes saddle to the pass at 7400'. The footing was good enough to not be a problem, at least with carrying just a day pack. It was amusing to see a series of cairns marking the path right up until the point in the middle where just about any trace of a track disappeared. The place where a cairn might have conceivably been of use is where the cairn builder lost interest. I took the long way back to the trailhead over the Carne Mountain High Route. Only a few larches along the way were showing a yellowish tinge. Full pictures: Maude and Seven Fingered Jack photos
Spider Gap
Spider Gap
Maude
Maude
South Spectacle Butte
South Spectacle Butte
7400' Saddle
7400' Saddle
Carne Basin
Carne Basin

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 11:34 am 
That's an amazing set of pictures. Winter is clearly coming, with dustings on the higher peaks.

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...

Blowdown
Sawin' Logs ...
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:00 pm 
Nice work! Great photos! By all accounts, the Carne High Route is tricky even without snow and ice. Good job gettin' up there late in the season.

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:09 pm 
Thanks for the snow conditions update. Jealous of that sunshine!

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 12:18 pm 
Excellent TR - motivation enough to get up there on the next weather break!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:09 pm 
Your usual fun trip with great pictures. Thanks Albert! up.gif

iron

iron
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:13 pm 
nice. looks beautiful!

silence

silence
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 1:17 pm 
Beautiful pix! Love the bit of snow .. but it doesn't look like the larch are turning yet frown.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:06 pm 
beautiful shots! thank you for the carne larch update smile.gif

rphphoto
Freelance photog

rphphoto
Freelance photog
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm 
This looks pretty awesome, I can only imagine the scene with some golden larch in the mix. Itching to hit this spot at some point, thanks for sharing!

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.” – Edward Abbey
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 6:34 pm 
Abert wrote:
I want to be here.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Sep 27, 2013 10:10 pm 
Beautiful with the fresh dusting of snow. Looks like the larches will be later turning color this year.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
SouthernYokel
Scree for dinner

SouthernYokel
Scree for dinner
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 7:43 am 
Nice! Makes me anxious for the snow season. chickenleg.gif

SouthernYokel ---------------------------------------- Paddle faster! I hear banjos!
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 7:51 am 
Awesome photos as always - even if you were slumming on the East side... I was hoping for one more trip to the Olympic high country this season sans snow but this weekends storms have me dusting off the microspikes and snowshoes.

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Sep 28, 2013 9:32 am 
Awesome pics and capture of the incoming season! Hope to be back in the East Cascades while there is still a bit of larch needle color on the trees and not too much new snow! Won't be until third week Oct so I'll be pushing it a bit. Thanks for the condition update.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.