Forum Index > Gear Talk > Williswall Quiver: Shelter/Sleep
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 9:40 pm 
I had someone email me recently asking about my sleep/shelter system, the status of my B4, and experiences with such gear. I decided to use his email to author a blog article about what I have used in 2013. The gist of the article is I like to have a selection (quiver) of gear that I can tune for each foray. For instance, I have slept this year in only clothing, a DIY momentum envelope, the Blizzard Long Jacket, and two FF bags. I also use a combination of different shelter systems. If this strikes your interest please check out blog article here. I do stress that my gear is tuned to my uses and may not be appropriate for others, but it may give you some ideas.
13. abodes- ZPacks Pocket Tarp and GG The One

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 11:42 pm 
I love reading your blog posts. Very informative and gives me some ideas for things I can try. I only wish I knew how to sew so I could try some of the DIY stuff. I appreciate the fact you are helpful, not trying to "convert" people and share what you know in a humble way. Some folks could learn from that.

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 5:49 am 
Willis Wall, I'm very sympathetic about your mother passing.
williswall wrote:
For instance, I have slept this year in only clothing,
Critter Style. Leif, I read your question too. Everyone is different and it's a good idea to test your own sleep system in the city before heading to the backcountry. Here are some ideas on my critter style set up. Critter style is not for everyone but it sure is intriguing. As far as a shelter that depends on the wind and amount of snow. I'm looking at Willis's B4 shelter after the nasty bug season. When I go ultralight instead of critter style(summertime) I use: A 6 x 9 tarp from Z-packs 4.4 oz A 4 ft Z-Lite pad 9 oz A 32 degree Mountain Hardware bag 15.5 oz I sleep in the clothes I was wearing on the trail and sometimes a down puffer, maybe a hat. This is a video of my early winter day pack. I can wear all of the gear you see here at the same time to sleep comfortably in very low temps. Again critter style is not for everyone so I don't want anyone to think I'm trying to force this on them. It's just a very different style that I would like to share. Hopefully it gives you some ideas.

soUthinkUcanCamp
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 9:07 am 
renegadepilgrim wrote:
I love reading your blog posts. Very informative and gives me some ideas for things I can try. I only wish I knew how to sew so I could try some of the DIY stuff. I appreciate the fact you are helpful, not trying to "convert" people and share what you know in a humble way. Some folks could learn from that.
I agree. In fact, I couldn't possibly agree more.

renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 3:15 am 
Critter wrote:
williswall wrote:
For instance, I have slept this year in only clothing,
Critter Style.
Actually that's more Ray Jardine Style. But then again you also quoted only part of what he said...the rest of what he said was "in only clothing, a DIY momentum envelope, the Blizzard Long Jacket and two FF bags". A little humility goes a long way in people respecting your opinion.

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 6:29 am 
Oops. I got excited when I saw the "only clothes" part. I know Willis Wall has slept at Camp Muir, back in the day, with only clothes and on top of his pack. I'm hoping I read that correctly, a while back.

soUthinkUcanCamp
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 2:08 pm 
The ZPacks website has a new tent design up names the Hexamid Solplex. The design and specs on this tent are very inviting and has almost persuaded me to rob a minimart to finance one. BUT ... looking over the specs I noticed this line: "The expected life span of this shelter is at least one full 2500+ mile thru hike, or many years of casual use with some care." At $535 not including stakes, I kinda wanna know whether this tent is going to last. I would hope a tent I might get for a PCT thru-hike would last beyond the hike itself., especially at that cost. So my question to you folks using these shelters is, what is your experience about the long term durability of these? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 2:54 pm 
I'd say their statement is pretty fair. A thru-hike is hard on gear since it's used day after day continuously for 4+ months. That's especially hard on ultralight gear. My Tarptent StratoSpire held up well and I'm still using it, though it has a few small holes. Another hiker ("Portrait") used a Hexamid for his AT thru hike in 2011 and the same tent through the whole PCT in 2012. It required some patching and guyline repairs but was holding up well. Basically I'd say any gear that survives a thru hike and is still in usable shape afterwards is very well designed.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 3:09 pm 
Thanks Opus! The other shelter I am considering is the TarpTent Notch, which is 10oz heavier (though that figure includes the stakes) but is also about $300 less cost. I have a TarpTent Double Rainbow, and am familiar with any issues with the silnylon. I don't abuse my gear and usually select a tent site carefully. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 10:12 pm 
No doubt about it, cuben is pricey. I am currently testing the new Hexamid Duplex so I need some more nights out in it in different conditions. However, after an initial use this may be the best all around backpacking tent (IMO). Light enough for solo excursions (just over 20 ozs including stakes, stuff sack, etc), excellent sit up room for 2, dual doors, dual vestibules....I got this instead of the regular Hexamid because I wanted a little more room on extended trips (my Pocket Tarp is the same dimensions as the Hexamid tent). If you are considering the Soloplex think carefully about the Duplex instead, for 4 more ounces. This is a small price to pay for the increased headroom and ability to house 2 fairly comfortably. I will stick with the Pocket Tarp for shorter and lighter trips, which I have used with a bivy. New Duplex:
ZPacks Hexamid Duplex
ZPacks Hexamid Duplex
ZPacks Hexamid Duplex 2
ZPacks Hexamid Duplex 2
Pocket Tarp:
9. bed time at Mowich Lake
9. bed time at Mowich Lake
33. sleeping arrangement at Sitkum Creek
33. sleeping arrangement at Sitkum Creek

Critter
Woodland Creature

Critter
Woodland Creature
PostThu Nov 28, 2013 10:31 pm 
Cool pics Willis. My cuben shelter is getting bad wrinkle lines and it looks like it's wearing out but I'm guessing/hoping it's not.

soUthinkUcanCamp
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Nov 29, 2013 12:07 am 
The wrinkles/creases in cuben are normal, and not indicitave of damage.

Brucester

Brucester
PostSat Jul 11, 2020 10:17 am 
How are these tents holding up?

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jul 18, 2020 8:08 am 
Haven't had any problems with the Cuben so far, even the wispy Pocket Tarp. Note, the Pocket Tarp offered currently on the zpacks website is a heavier material than this original .34, but I have managed to avoid putting anything sharp through it so far. The Duplex is still going strong, and my Cuben packs are still in great shape.