Forum Index > Gear Talk > ski/splitboard pants?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I have heard the Inuit, and other Natives of the northern lands, have hundreds of words for snow.
Ah, the old Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax. A few years ago while on a long skinning route we came up with more than 100 examples of words for snow. Off the top of my head: powder pow powdah chowdah -- as in "today's powdah is tomorrow's chowdah" neve firn corn mush mank Cascade concrete Sierra cement crud chalk boilerplate corduroy mash potatoes layer cake bulletproof chop death cookies dust on crust sastrugi sun cups hoar graupel cold smoke blower crust pillows frozen tree bombs silk

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Edgewood

Edgewood
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 5:06 pm 
Don't.... don't say death cookies.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 5:50 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Looking forward to trying out my Voile V8s
I got a pair of Voile Drifters a couple years ago -- yeah they greatly expand the range of "fun" snow conditions. The real eye-openner for me was a day that had seen 18" overnight 30F, but by the time we reached our high-point the temp was 34F and it was slushing. My companions in mid-fat conventionally rockered skis struggled for every turn -- I had enjoyable turns -- basically just roll the knees and they turn and no matter how much forward cuff pressure I put on them the tips never dive. A couple vids from a different day featuring not quite as damp snow http://vimeo.com/56493072 http://vimeo.com/56492992

fretglider

fretglider
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 pm 
Just posted the following to Jeff's earlier thread on the same topic: The Mountain Hardwear Hestia bib has served me well and I know they make a pant version. Even though they are non-insulated, these do feel more like snow pants than they do a shell, but that's how I use them exclusively. My wife has the MH Adaro shell pants: gore pro shell, full side zip with a quad zip on each side (oh the zipper options!). They are 3 yrs old now and have seen a bit of action (mainly skiing and scrambling in WA and AK) and are holding up well. If anyone from MH reads this, please make a men's version of the Adaro in a long inseam; I'm jealous of them every time she breaks them out.

Bogart

Bogart
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 am 
Not to disturb the debate on how to describe snow... For layering, my biggest issue has been controlling/venting self generated moisture. In short, I pretty much sweat like a hog. You are probably more efficient on this front than me, so take the following with a grain of salt. Unless it is very cold/windy, I can't skin in a hard shell without soaking myself. Also, since I'm a bit of a curmudgeon on gear I will not buy a shell layer with insulation permanently attached. So, basic set up: Generic soft shell pants. These get tucked into the velcro'd power straps on top of my ski boots so that snow does not get in them. Essentially a poor man's gaiter in this case. Since this generally means generic Shoeller type fabric, when cold out I will back up with a base layer underneath. Vents very well, but relatively poor wind & moisture resistance. I always carry a set of hard shell pants with me. Not because I always need them, but as a 'just in case' item in the event I need to bivy/spend a lot of time helping someone else out. I will be the first to admit this is a 'Justin Case' decision, and one that others would evaluate differently. I have an older set of ArcTeryx bibs that I take with me when I foresee wallowing around in deep snow. They have full zips on the legs, tough exterior, and weigh a ton. But they rock, are very tough to rip up, and pretty resistant to external moisture. I have a much lighter set of PU coated hard shells that I carry with my on days where I don't foresee much wallowing in snow, nice forecast days, etc. These are pretty much disposable items. They are pretty easily torn up (and patched), much lighter than the bibs but still have full zips on them. So in the end if I had decisions to make over again... I would not waste money on heavy duty hard shells. They don't breathe enough, they are heavy, take up too much space in a touring pack. Would stick with the lighter PU stuff and just expect to maintain or replace, but I would definitely continue to carry a hard shell with full zips almost all the time. I would experiment with better (more wind/moisture proof) soft shells than I currently have. Some of the Neo based pants look very interesting. I have a set of Norrøna Falketind Flex1 pants that I'll be using more extensively this season. They have partial zips and should provide better wind resistance than what I've been using. We will see if they are a problem for my sweating. Pretty sure you can make anything work based on your experience.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 9:25 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
http://vimeo.com/56493072
Kendall west side trees?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 9:40 am 
BigSteve wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
http://vimeo.com/56493072
Kendall west side trees?
Good guess, but not quite. West facing though.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Nov 05, 2013 9:51 am 
Could be lots of places. W aspect, eh? Margaret? Also looks like it could be the big mountain hemlocks on Catherine, but that's NNW aspect.

Phonda

Phonda
PostFri Oct 05, 2018 3:17 am 
I know, I'm late to the partee here. I looked for a few years for a pair of pants that would last me another decade. I absolutely love the Karbon Nitrogen pants https://pro-sport-expert.com/best-ski-bibs/ ($200). Very waterproof (good for spring skiing). They make short - let's be specific - I am a 28" inseam, they fit perfectly and form to the legs great. I ended up with a large, even though I'm 34 waist. They run their sizing in ranges of 2", it's a little strange. These are insulated pants, full side zips, pockets up top and a cargo pocket halfway down. Zip in front ( believe me, I've found pants with no zipper, and NO they were not ladies!) For the life of me, I don't know why they put a lift ticket hook on the top of the pants. I suppose it's for those warm days that we never have in the east. I like suspenders too. I'm not comfortable buying any soft goods or boots through the mail/net. Each manufacturer's sizes are a bit different. I don't want to be bothered with returns. That's my $0.02.