Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mary's Peak - 11.4.2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 pm 
We were surprised to only find a dusting of snow at the Beverly/Bean Trailhead (3600')... so surprised that I talked robman and Snowdog into leaving the snowshoes in the car. I was so confident in this decision that I told them that I would buy them a half case of beer if I was wrong. Less than an inch of snow where we crossed (3880') Bean Creek... as we continued up the Beverly Turnpike Trail that was very easy to follow... as the snow depth grew to about 4 inches of snow at ~5000 feet... where we chose to leave the trail and contour up and around the NW ridge of Mary's Peak... hitting the ridge proper at ~5500 feet... and a nice lunch spot at 5900 feet. From our lunch spot we could see the summit... and could also see that there was still plenty of work remaining. We were hoping to ascend by remaining near the ridge where the snow depth was only a few inches deep... however, the terrain pushed us onto the north side of the ridge into snow that was closer to 10 inches in depth... with an occasional crotch-deep step thrown in to keep us honest... as we crept up the ridge... finally reaching the summit (6680+) after gaining the last 800 feet of elevation in 1.5 hours. Awesome views from the summit on what may be the last day of parking at the Beverly/Bean Trailhead this year. The plan was to make a loop out of this trip by descending via Bean Creek Basin... but alas, after giving back 150 feet of elevation we spent a half hour trying to find a comfortable route down to the basin... and it was not to be... so we went back to Mary's summit and traced our steps back to the car. ~8.5 miles roundtrip, gaining 3200 feet of elevation. And about the beer... please advise where I can get a good deal on a half case of Miller Lite. Maps and photos of our trip to Mary's Peak. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 6:02 pm 
How's the road to the TH? Maybe I should check that out Sunday.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 7:04 pm 
To be fair, Ragman didn't have to work too hard to convince us to leave the shoes behind. After all, who wants to lug them along if they aren't needed? shakehead.gif We felt pretty smug until we got close to 4th Creek Pass. Here the rocks and boulders created bigger voids, capable of swallowing one's leg up to your knees, and beyond. Each step from here onward was very very cautious- tedious really. Had we carried snowshoes, we would have zipped right up. biggrin.gif Hop Czar, or other Imperial IPA will be just dandy! agree.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm 
Looks like we're slowly running out of dirt to hike on... Nice to grab those peaks while you can still get in there. And you definitely deserve better than Miller Lite... hockeygrin.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostWed Nov 06, 2013 9:37 pm 
like2thruhike wrote:
How's the road to the TH?
On Monday the road to the trailhead was snow-free... however, a friend said there was snow on the ground in Cle Elum yesterday. So, no guarantee in getting to the trailhead without some kind of road walk.

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 2:43 am 
Thanks for this report. I've been wondering whether I could still squeeze in a Teanaway trip.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 6:59 am 
Hi folks, The Teanaway always satisfies! Quick question: on the north side in Fourth Cr. Basin, was there a base of firm snow under the ten inches of newer snow that you were walking through, or was is just rock and ground? Thanks, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 10:10 am 
John- I don't think it was skiable on Monday, perhaps a few small sections, but not a continuous run. However, after this next system moves thru, it may be ok- with yur rock skis. agree.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
BarbE

BarbE
PostThu Nov 07, 2013 1:17 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
I was so confident in this decision that I told them that I would buy them a half case of beer if I was wrong.
Feel free to use that line every time you tell us "I'm pretty sure, that loop will go" rotf.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Nov 08, 2013 10:23 am 
Thanks Snowdog, I kinda figured that you folks would have described it differently, the pictures just looked like the foot travel was fine on some sort of base. The pics sure get me happy at the futre prospects... John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.