Forum Index > Trail Talk > Rambo Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostSat Oct 09, 2004 7:59 pm 
I just got through reading this WTA report that mentions a Rambo peak. How/when did it get its name?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostSat Oct 09, 2004 8:34 pm 
I did a search on the Washington Place Names website, but got no matches. I know there is a Rambo Road over at Fairchild AFB in Spokane, but it had that name long before the movie.

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Oct 10, 2004 3:42 am 
When Sawyer and I climbed Rambo he had a USGS map which showed Rambo to be a named highpoint (I hesitate to grace it by calling it a peak). I speculated that maybe the word was an old mining or trapping term but I don't know any miners or trappers to ask them. I asked at the Forest Station in Winthrop but the person there didn't know. The most interesting fact of the hike I didn't find out until getting home and doing further reading. It seems that Remmel and several other peaks in the area are thought to have been nunataks 18,000 years ago. There are isolated plant species which are found there, and not seen again until Colorado and the California Sierras. The plants had refuge there when the continental ice sheet blanketed surrounding summits.

Leenerella

Leenerella
PostMon May 20, 2019 4:23 pm 
This is an old thread, but I wandered across it looking for some genealogy information. My great grandfather, Ralph Rambo, was born in Mica, WA, south of Spokane. I have no idea if Rambo Road has anything to do with the family, but it wouldn't surprise me. He moved his family to Twisp, and raised draft horses with his son before WWII. So there were definitely Rambos in the area until the war. Would love more information about the location of Rambo Peak, if anyone has it...

RichP

RichP
PostMon May 20, 2019 5:23 pm 
This link shows a Rambo Peak right by Cathedral Lakes in the Pasayten. Click the enlarge option on the map on the top left and zoom in. Trail goes almost over the top. https://peakvisor.com/peak/rambo.html