Forum Index > Trail Talk > Upper Ice Lakes and Entiat Meadows
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 4:16 pm 
My hiking partner and I are going on a weeklong excursion begining the 8th and we are considering a couple possible routes. On an earlier posting, I got some great ideas on the Necklace Valley and Upper Foss Lakes, but looking at the extended weather forecast, we are inclined to look central - up the Entiat. What do you think ? Looking for great campsites, two days in and scenic day trippin. drock

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 5:37 pm 
Based on some of this years snowed in areas, i bet Ice Lakes are still FROZEN! You best find out first hand before you travel the 13 miles one way in there! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 5:50 pm 
It's been plenty hot long enough to melt them out, I'd go for it!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 7:13 pm 
The upper ice lakes was at least partially melted out a couple weeks ago. Saw it from Mt Maude. Look on WTA reports for Maude, or Ice Lakes from a few years back.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Quark

Quark
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 9:55 pm 
So what if Ice Lakes are still frozen - you weren't planning on swimmin' in 'em anyway, were you? It's a beautiful place. Go via Cow Creek Meadows, skitch by 5th of July Mtn and if you have a hankering for swimmin', swim in Larch Lakes - the best one for swimmin' is the one beyond the cutoff to Pomas Pass. Be well prepared for bugs, however. There are swarms of mosquitoes there even during a low-bug year. If you're there a week, check out the Borealis Range for wandering opportunities, and hike out via the Entiat Rv trail, making a loop trip (there is a crotch-high ford of the Entiat on the return route, but the water is calm there). I don't have any particular suggestions re the Borealis Range, however - I've been eyeballin' it myself for this year via Milham Pass from Refrigerator Harbor and out the Entiat, but can't fit it into my shedjule.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster

PostWed Sep 04, 2002 7:46 am 
The Leroy Cr high route to Ice Lakes is pretty nice and can combine with scrambles or 7Finger Jack and Maude if you want. I think the mosquito population should be greatly reduced after this weeks cold snap, but don't think it'll warm enough for me to swim in those lakes this year. biggrin.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 9:28 am 
How can anyone consider a lake properly visited unless you take a dip?! Horrors.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 10:20 am 
I make it a tribute to mother nature to swim on EVERY lake I go to! HA! Polar Bear Joe (No offence PB)

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln

PostWed Sep 04, 2002 12:23 pm 
BPJ, so you swam in EVERY lake you visited on your recent Circle, Venus, Peggy's, Spade tour? You must be one "fresh" hiker! smile.gif

Captain Trips

Captain Trips
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 12:59 pm 
Thanks for the ideas. I did call the Entiat RS and the lady I spoke with seemed to believe the upper ice lake should be thawed. Can't trust this information too well but again I agree, who cares. I am looking carefully at Quark's suggestion of the loop trip including Larch Lake and scrambling opportunities near milford pass. Those bugs... It wasn't too bad in the upper enchantments a month ago so a high camp will be in order. Bet the Entiat meadows will be tough ! Thanks again for the great suggestions. drock

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 1:30 pm 
Pappy, no I didnt swim in every lake on that trip. I have though swam at least once in every one of those lakes that I visited on that trip. TB