Forum Index > Food & Grub > Fancy/Cheap Gizmo for Dehydrating Apples (Video by Critter)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 2:13 pm 
509 - I really haven't dried any apples recently. My husband and daughter don't like dried - they want fresh. And these are lasting fine in the fridge and garage. (They go through 3-4 apples a day, easily.) But I use them in baking and love them there. (We are all far less picky about our apples in cooking than raw, though.) And yes, we like them better than winesap apples as well. smile.gif But I suspect that apples have rather a lot of personal preference. Then again, does ANYONE really and truly prefer red delicious over any other type of apple?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 3:42 pm 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
And yes, we like them better than winesap apples as well. smile.gif
OK, so not everyone like them the best...but those things will keep from October until March in a cool dark place!
nuclear_eggset wrote:
But I suspect that apples have rather a lot of personal preference.
Maybe, but I never met an apple that didn't like me. smile.gif For what it is worth my dried apples usually come out too "rubbery" and are not super appetizing. Of course, hunger is the best cook so sometimes a person can really grub down on them anyway.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 4:07 pm 
I have found that the Chehalis Apple is the best for drying. Better than the McIntosh. The Kings and Jonagolds are in the middle. Spartans are too sweet and small, They and the asian pears turn out like lumps of sugar when dried. If your dried apples are rubbery, you haven't dried them long enough. I go until they are crisp like potato chips and then seal them bags to keep the moisture out.