Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > people from tacoma never look at mt rainier!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 6:31 pm 
maybe because i'm from out of state but i look at mount rainier every day and love to see it. when i talk about it in college people are like ohh yeah i didn't even look! are most people from tacoma so use to seeing it that they don't look anymore? i'm shere everyone is not like that but when rainier is out i cant stop looking. this post was moved from the trading post(that was my falt)

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 6:47 pm 
Most folks where I work have never been to Mt Rainier, Olympics, or North Cascades Nat'l Parks. I guess that leaves more room for us, eh?

mgd

mgd
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 7:26 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Most folks where I work have never been to Mt Rainier, Olympics, or North Cascades Nat'l Parks. I guess that leaves more room for us, eh?
NOt if they are all at Snow Lake instead.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 9:54 pm 
Its a secret perk of living in T-town. Killer views of Rainier can even be had from 45,000$ houses. smile.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 11:00 pm 
It blows me away when I hear someone from Seattle say they have never been to Mt Rainier. WHAT?!?! eek.gif

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostFri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Unbelievable! Except that it's probably true at my job, too. "You want to use two weeks vacation time to walk? You know there's this place called Hawaii, they bring the drinks right to you in the pool."

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 1:55 am 
Magellan wrote:
It blows me away when I hear someone from Seattle say they have never been to Mt Rainier. WHAT?!?! eek.gif
huh.gif I have never been to Mt Rainier. lol.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 8:22 am 
I grew up in SE of Olympia (went to Yelm High School) and never ever tired of looking at Rainier. Went to the army and trained at Ft. Leonard Wood (Missouri) and Ft. Sam (Texas) and it nearly killed me to be away from the mountains. In 1999, I left for school in Dayton, OH, and the whole 4 years I was there nearly killed me again. I couldn't help but think "What a pathetic existence these people have, not having the Cascades and Olympics" or the Washington coast for that matter. Now I live just north of Spokane and frequently hear echoes of the same thing. I love the Cabinets and the Selkirks. It's definitely not the Midwest, but it's definitely not the Olympic Peninsula either. To sum it up, I'm definitely with you on not being able to comprehend how people could neglect the beautiful natural wonders so abundant in western Washington. It's harder to understand the mentality that if you can't make a buck off raping those wonders, they aren't worth much.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 9:06 am 
I live close by, but I don't go to Rainier. I've only been there a couple of times. I don't want to mess with a crowded parking lot, and I want to take my dog along. I can find uncrowded pretty areas around here. That leaves an extra parking place for you guys. Ever think of it that way? Oh, and if you think we forest folk have raped the woods, maybe you should go plant that parking lot back to native vegetation.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trail wiseguy

trail wiseguy
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 9:25 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I don't want to mess with a crowded parking lot, and I want to take my dog along.
i'm with you on that one. i only hike outside of tourist season at mt rainier. as for the dog, some times he just has to take one for the team. when the mt is call you must answer.

"the mountains are calling and i must go" - John Muir
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 10:31 am 
My friends got kicked out of MRNP for having dogs on the Naches loop. He was with his wife, who had never been in any sort of trouble before. Ranger Barney T Fife showed up. Buddy told his wife "they're going to strip search us looking for weapons and drugs, then we're going to jail. But don't worry, we won't be there very long." What happened next is called a trail divorce.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 10:51 am 
Seems like most folks in Seattle are at least aware of Rainier. You always hear people throw around the phrase "the mountain is out today" when it is not obscured by clouds. But it's unbelievable how many people, especially the native born Seattlites, don't get much beyond a 10 or 20 mile radius of the city and have no idea what is in their backyard. I don't go to Rainier very often. I can understand people choosing to hike places outside of a NP. But it is a cool place, I've definitely had some good outings there over the years.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 12:59 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Oh, and if you think we forest folk have raped the woods, maybe you should go plant that parking lot back to native vegetation.
Now, now, Treeswarper, if the shoe doesn't fit, then take no offense.

Kathleen

Kathleen
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 pm 
I work in down town Tacoma and we have a pretty good view of rainier as we don't have any buildings in front of us; just the water front. I notice it all the time when it's clear and will sit by a window in the break room just for the view.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSat Jan 04, 2014 11:01 pm 
When I was a medic working at Madigan Army Medical Center near the top floor, we had a commanding view of Rainier to the east and a commanding view of the Olympics to the west. Saw quite a few beautiful sunsets over the Olympics.