Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 1:30 pm 
Steve wrote:
Most, I believe, of the subarus have CVT now and I'm skeptical about the long term reliability of them.
Upon what do you base your skepticism? Subie has used Jatco pulley-based CVTs starting with some 2010 models. Other car manufacturers have used Jatco pulley-based CVTs for longer than that. There are millions of them out there and AFAIK the failure rate is better than gearbox trannies of the same vintage. In terms of driveability, the Impreza CVT is a great match for the 2.0L engine, great mountain car.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 3:30 pm 
Past performance of the Jatco CVT is what I base it on. I have read the failure rate for the Jatcos on Nissan to be around 30%. Subaru has their own design, but three years is not a long enough track record to say they are good. CVT glitches

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 3:48 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
We have a well-known member here on NWHikers with a Subaru which has probably logged more off-pavement miles and TH’s than any in the state (if not country). Each time I have been in the car things seem to be holding up well considering all the punishment it has taken. And I know he has no plans to replace it soon. I won’t mention any names but he goes by Wildernessed.
My boss told me she knows which car is mine because it's the one covered in Mt Baker mud. It's been up and down the Middle Fork Road several times, up to the Spider Meadow TH, North Fork Teanaway and a bunch of side roads like to the Beverly/Bean TH, and many others. Often faster than it really should be going, with all the potholes. It's in fantastic shape after 92 K abusive miles (I bought it at 13 K). Dirty, but holding up well. Lots of routine maintenance and oil changes.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 4:14 pm 
Steve wrote:
Past performance of the Jatco CVT is what I base it on. * * * CVT glitches
AFAICT, the "glitches" are perceived by customers that are used to gearbox trannies:
Quote:
From what we're understanding, the issue largely relates to customers' unfamiliarity with the non-traditional shift nature of a CVT.
The remedy offered by Jatco is to help educate consumers. Sounds like a perception problem, not a mechanical one. Also, the article does not say whether the "glitches" are about the pulley-based CVTs or the Jatco toroidal CVTs that Nissan uses.
Steve wrote:
I have read the failure rate for the Jatcos on Nissan to be around 30%.
Link? Sure you weren't reading about the Jatco/Nissan toroidal CVTs? Or maybe Nissan's early pulley-based CVT issues?

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 4:47 pm 
I'm looking to buy a car too, since our wagon is crapping out. I researched the Subarus and it seems like they hold their value fairly well, i.e. slightly used is still pricey. Assuming the car is in good condition, I'd like to know what people think a basic Outback wagon is worth with 60 to 80K in mileage, 2009 or later vintage. The KBB values seemed thousands lower than what dealers in our area try to sell them for.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 5:14 pm 
I had two imprezas, 2004 and 2005....great cars. The second one was stolen and never recovered. The NW is the hottest market in the US for Subarus. Its not a status car so they go for cheaper in the sun belt. On another note, Carter Subaru used to give out Legacy GT turbos as loaner cars but too many drivers put regular gas in them and it detonated the motors. I like Subarus but the current models seem so bloated and bland.

mike

mike
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 6:46 pm 
seattlenativemike wrote:
but the current models seem so bloated and bland.
My wife's 2007 Forrester is headed in that direction for sure. 2003, still pretty nice.

Gil

Gil
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 8:40 pm 
iron: I don't know if you're in a rush to buy, but if not, I can suggest a car broker to find the car you want. We've used him for our five last cars, including a 1999 Forester that I shipped up to my mother in Alaska a few years ago (and still going strong). You tell him what you want and your budget, and he goes and finds it for you. But just a warning: it might take a while. Our daughter totaled our 2005 Prius last year (just a few months after I paid it off!), so we went looking for another one. He found us a 2007 with less than 100,000 miles in excellent condition inside and out for a great price. He's meticulous about the cars he sells, and each of ours has been in top shape. But it took him two months to find our Prius.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
iron

iron
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 9:50 pm 
thanks for all the input so far. keep it coming. jeff: regarding used vs new, if you think it's a good idea to pay $28k for a new car, vs. $8k for a used one with some miles, then your math is much different than mine. i will run the car into the ground. i believe repairs, even annual ones, are far cheaper than the premium one pays for something new. example: how many $3000/yr repairs can you make on a car before offsetting the price of a new car? answer: a shitload.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 10:07 pm 
New cars are for millionaires. Anyone who can afford to throw away $3-6k just to be the first one to drive it off the lot is rich. You may not be able to buy a Subaru for half price when it's six years old, but there are a lot of makes that you can. ETA:
iron wrote:
how many $3000/yr repairs can you make on a car before offsetting the price of a new car? answer: a shitload.
agree.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 10:22 pm 
The analysis depends on how much value you assign a new car warranty and recourse under lemon laws. If you buy a new lemon, your remedy is a new car. if you buy a certified used lemon, at least the warranty covers the repairs. But if you by a used lemon, your remedy is nil so you're out the purchase price plus whatever money you pissed away in repairs before you figured out it was a lemon. New car at end of model year pricing + selling with relatively low miles/repeat actually pencils out close to the used no warranty lemon lottery. Plus you get to drive a new car for awhile. Fun thread drift.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:49 pm 
Iron, your cost comparison is with a branded title. That's a pretty significant dent in the car's history, so it isn't a reasonable comparison. I used to think new cars were for suckers, but if you're going to keep the car until it craps out, a new car isn't always a bad deal. Certainly safer than a branded title!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jan 28, 2014 7:00 am 
Well where is the SLUGMAN?....he owns a subie, with a replaced used engine that I worked on ...his is still going strong!.... I completly rebuilt his brakes, put 4 new struts into it...tuned up...replaced the alternator....this was when we had a shop-space in everett, we are looking for an other small shop space to work on friends projects... up.gif

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jan 28, 2014 10:29 am 
I bought my Forester new four years ago. I looked into the price of a newer used Subaru (at the time, '06-'09), and it was close enough to the cost of a new one that it made more sense for me to buy new (reliability was top priority for me). I actually ended up paying less for new than what some of the dealerships were asking for on used models. Not sure if you're interested in the Forester, but they are cheaper than the Outback. I have 81k on mine, and the only trouble I've had with it was the A/C (small refrigerant leak). Actual highway gas mileage is about 24-25 mpg. One thing that I do miss about the older model subarus (pre 2008/2009) is the smaller size. I feel like I'm driving a boat most of the time. Stay away from Outbacks/Foresters between 2000-2005 - I know too many people who've had the head gasket issue with the models in that year range.

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostTue Jan 28, 2014 11:33 am 
Jeff wrote:
A corporate discount does help swing the math towards buying new. A car with a salvage title that was totaled due to "very minor damage" certainly swings it towards buying used.
Except that a salvage title means the damage to the car exceeds 75% of the value of the car. People who say it's a salvage because of some minor damage are lying. I bought my '08 2.5i, not the base model, new from Eastside subaru for 21k before tax, about twice the cost of what I was seeing for used with 100k miles on it. I saw dealers offering two year old outbacks with 20k miles for $2k less than what I got mine new. With it I got lifetime oil changes, as long as you get all the servicing done there, and an extended 100k powertrain warranty included at no extra cost. I get 28 mpg on the highway going from bothell to the tri cities, but can get 30 if I'm just doing 60. Best I ever got was 33 mpg driving back from Sun Mtn Lodge to Marysville, but that was mostly 50 mph on highway 9. So far I have 107k miles on mine. It doesn't burn oil, has no piston slap, and no head gasket leaking, yet anyway. My only complaint is that the right rear door lock no longer auto locks and it is $250 to fix and it can still be locked manually. My buddy bought an '08 Forrester at the same time and was concerned about reliability problems, but he likewise has had no problems except when he tried to activate the rear wiper when it was frozen to the window and it broke.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.