Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt. Baker Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 11:44 am 
I have a friend from out of state that would like to do and overnighter at Baker. I've been checking out the reports for Heliotrope and Ptarmigan and both look kinda neat. Would like to have an easy to moderate hike with views. There will be no snow or ice travel involved. Anyone know how much trail is rock at the Ptarmigan trail? How's the camping on either? Railroad Grade is out of the running. I personaly lean toward Ptarmigan hoping for some good views of Shuksan. Any other suggestions or input is appreciated. Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bushwacker
Comfortable

Bushwacker
Comfortable
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 11:49 am 
NN, Was up at Ptarmigan trailhead on 8-25. Most of the trail was still under snow and ice. Opted for Chain Lakes instead. Report on trail conditions was from 2 rangers at the trailhead. BW smile.gif

"Wait by the river long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by"...Sun Tsu
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostTue Sep 03, 2002 4:15 pm 
I was up there for an overnighter last week. I did Lake Ann which was spectacular. The trail was snow free although there are some snow patches up around the lake and the lake is still half frozen. The bugs were really bad!!! I wore a head net to keep the black flies away until it got colder. It's still well worth the trip. I had a chance to observe most of Ptarmigin Ridge from my hike up to Lake Ann and it still has some major snow in some areas, especially the last bit near Coleman Pinacle. I did Ptarmigin Ridge about this time last year and camped near the end at 15 Goat Lake and it was basically snow free except for three small patches. Heliotrope is snow free but has at least one nasty creek crossing near the end.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 4:41 am 
Thanks folks. I'll throw these to him as options. Hiker boy... read your report on the lake, sounds good. How were the crowds? NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 2:11 pm 
I went up there mid week and passed about a dozen dayhikers on the trail. There was one party of two camped up there the previous night and three parties or eight people including me the next night. There was plenty of room and I couldn't even see the other groups camped up there. The last time I went up there on a weekend, two years ago, it was pretty crowded (even with everything being under six feet of snow!). Most were climbers there for the Fisher Chimney route up Shuksan.

Honey Badger Don't Care!
Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 5:05 pm 
i was up Railroad Grade last Saturday, it was great. Might rethink about that one. Had a great time and lots of interesting side trails to go on. Ice Girl

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 5:08 pm 
Go to Yellow Aster Butte. Better than Baker in my opinion becuase you can see all of Mt. Baker and have blueberries too.

Art is an adventure.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 5:37 pm 
stefan has the deal down on this one, yellow aster rocks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers

PostWed Sep 04, 2002 7:09 pm 
Yellow Aster. Early Oct 2001, Prime fall color, mid-week, sunny, warm, calm, quiet, easy. Spiritual in its beauty. Excellent choice. I agree with Stefan's idea of being back from Baker a bit helps the view.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 8:12 pm 
I'll check into Yellow Aster. thanks. As far as Rail Road Grade, from what I've read, waaaay to many people. I generally like places where the masses don't congragate. Too dang hard to take pictures with out unknowns in them. NN smile.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 04, 2002 8:59 pm 
NN - I was worried about the crowds on Railroad Grade on Labor Day weekend. They just weren't there. Almost all the sites at Railroad Camp and High Camp were vacant. The people weren't there - and neither were the bugs! - It was beautiful. agree.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!