Forum Index > Trip Reports > As Cold As Siberia... Because It Was (My 500th Peak)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSat Feb 08, 2014 10:09 pm 
I commented to Gimpilator that this past week seemed "as cold as Siberia" around here... so it seemed fitting to finally visit Siberia Mountain out near Granite Falls. The temperature at the car was 25 Degrees... only six degrees warmer than the warmest place I could find in Siberia... Vladivostok, which is in the Russian Far East but is historically included as part of the Siberian landmass. So it was almost as cold as Siberia at Siberia Mountain this morning.
Almost As Cold As Eastern Siberia
Almost As Cold As Eastern Siberia
We did this trip with Kevin, a marathon runner who is getting more interested in peakbagging during this past year. The road walking was more enjoyable than expected, not just because of the great conversations which occupied our time but also because of the great views to the west and southwest along the route. We felt like we were being watch at one point... but soon realized it was just a frozen puddle. lol
An Icy Stare
An Icy Stare
Looks Exciting, Right?
Looks Exciting, Right?
Miniature In Front, Pilchuck In Back
Miniature In Front, Pilchuck In Back
Whitehorse, Blue, Olo, Three Fingers...
Whitehorse, Blue, Olo, Three Fingers...
The Goal Ahead
The Goal Ahead
We encountered snow above 2000', but fortunately we were only going up to approximately 2300'. The summit contour was a true bushwhack, possibly BW2. We bushwhacked along the top trying to find the highest land. It was easier getting back to the road from the summit than vice versa.
Snow Above 2000'
Snow Above 2000'
Near The Summit
Near The Summit
Summit Shot
Summit Shot
When I got home this evening, I was checking some of my peak statistics and according to LOJ I have visited 495 peaks in the USA with at least 300' of prominence. Add that amount to the five such peaks internationally (four in Canada, one in Mexico), and Siberia Mountain has become my 500th peak using that criteria. Not bad, considering that all but five of those peaks were since the beginning of 2007.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 2:36 am 
25 degrees...really? If it were 25 degrees here we would be in a serious heat wave. biggrin.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 1:50 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
25 degrees...really? If it were 25 degrees here we would be in a serious heat wave. biggrin.gif
up.gif But then it's all relative to what one is accustomed to....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 4:30 pm 
up.gif Been out on single digit days this year, especially with early start times gotta keep on moving. My son is working up at Mission Ridge and had a - 40 work day. Cold is OK if views are to be had. stuck.gif

Living in the Anthropocene
herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst

herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 10:15 am 
500 peaks?! That's crazy-cool man. Thanks for the TR.