Forum Index > Food & Grub > N00B Food question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigDaneage

BigDaneage
PostSun Feb 02, 2014 6:18 pm 
So... a buddy and me are planning a couple day hike into the Enchanted Valley this summer. Im planning on going pretty basic on my food (mountain house meals, beef jerkey, etc) ... I want your input.. What other kinds of foods would you bring/cook. Like soup, top ramen, chili?? Thanks

Olympic Mountain High
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Feb 02, 2014 11:17 pm 
http://www.packitgourmet.com/ slobber.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm 
yep that's the one....bring some fritos and cook the chili a few minutes extra in a pot.... add dotties chix.n dumplings to CUP O NOODLES and beef jerkey for some frikkIN SUPER RAMEN.... don't forget the hawaiin sweet rolls or the 2-3 yr. aged white chedder cheese at qfc....mmmmmmm!!! oh and as far as 1-2nights in the necklace ... lol.gif lol.gif ... if your not hitting it for at least 2 nights consider something else...one of the hardest 2.5m. up u p up up....don't forget your BUG NETTING AND SUN HATS!!!!! hockeygrin.gif the sekrit is to headlamp hike the night before to the wide spot next tothe creek(only place that far in where the trail touches the creek) about 3.5m in ....then up the next day...DONT CAMP AT M.4.5-5 WHERE trail CROSSES THE RIVER...bears in that spot... eek.gif it starts heading up after that! great drinking water at the narrow footbridge about an .45-hr. after heading up (the only narrow bridge over a creek heading uphill)..sweet water no filter needed... up.gif up.gif USUALLY TAKES ME ANOTHER 1.5-2.0hrs. with breaks from there..friggin brutal.... day hike up right 500' out of the valley (past cabin) for the views....I hav been like 5 times and am allways too beat ....there is a ton of exploring to do in the valley...mayb this year ha ha .... please be professional, no washing dishes in the water, leave no trace ect....oh and try to stay till monday...EVERYBODY LEAVES SUNDAY PM!!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Feb 03, 2014 9:45 pm 
Just ask yourself: what do I like at home? And take that smile.gif Nearly anything can be done trail friendly smile.gif Anyhow, think easy to eat, carbs and protein. I am the type who eats snacks all day, then has dinner.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
contour5

contour5
PostMon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 pm 
Cheese works well, if an appropriate slicer can be obtained. Double or triple zip-lock storage containers are indicated- this is confirmed bear habitat. Bear canister is required- would advise genuine article; not some low budget tupperware tomfoolery. If allergic to cheese; follow sarbar's advice. Tortillas are an indispensable addition to many Mountain House products, especially the Breakfast Scramble concoction. Black pepper, small quantities of Sriracha, herbs and other spices can help to invigorate many otherwise flat-tasting factory meals.

BigDaneage

BigDaneage
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 2:21 am 
Where can I find bear canisters?? Does the NPS provide them? Or gotta buy my own? How long will say..a brick of cheese stay good? Thanks for the help smile.gif

Olympic Mountain High
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 7:50 am 
Also, please see Minimus.biz biggrin.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 7:51 am 
PS: As for bear canisters? The NP rents them in the Olympics - at a low cost, and if you can't afford it, they will still lend you one!

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 3:45 pm 
http://www.hawkvittles.com/ (For pre-made) http://www.onepanwonders.com/ (For do it yourselfers)

God, I am going to regret this someday!
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 pm 
bear's not at 4.5m camp....well maybe ...if on the way out you hear some huff huffing and then jaws snapping about 30ft. away in the dense brush....IT AINT SOME-ONES DOG!!!..move along please I am sleeping.... ANYWAY just cook away from your camp, hang food for the mice not the bears... lol.gif throw the fish guts into the deep water!....if u fry fish CHANGE YOUR CLOTHES and if u use a SMALL fire with foil pack the foil out.... and get the eggs and extra sharp white chedder cheese (lasts 3days+) oh and the hamburger...ALL INTO THE TORTIA'S for breakfast....mmmmmm oh and TAKE A HEADNET....OR YOUR GONNA DIEEEEEEE!!..(also bugpants are 25$ at rei)....PRIME TIME IS LATE AUGUST....PERHAPS late june this year??? only a 1-2 week window before bugs... just be ready...my friend once was refusing to wear a sun hat once trail goes up...I just about cancled the trip if he din't use it? I was out of there....well dissapearing into the valley anyway... BE PROFESSIONAL not ameteurs....like him... oh NUTS AND bags of chips are another important item...the instant refried beans (at pcc co-op or health store)..combined with hamburger and cheese for dinner burritos!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 7:49 pm 
HOLY CRPG.....NOT THE NECKLACE VALLEY YOU FOOL!!......talkin to meeself... IT'S THE ENCHANTED VALLEY THEY BE GOING TO......NICCCEE....HAVE YOU GUYS CONSIDERDS THE NECKLACE VALLEY.... great hike and really quite easy after the 2.5m uphill with 3,7000+ gain.... TAKE A NICE FRIEND...my fav. quote heard on the downhill... TO some-one having knee problems on the way out....'WELL IF YOU DROP I AM JUST GOING TO LEAVE U HERE!" ANYWAY LOOK UP NECKLACE VALLEY REPORTS....it rocks!!!!! doh.gif doh.gif

snowdeuce
Camp Cook

snowdeuce
Camp Cook
PostFri Feb 21, 2014 11:23 pm 
Daneage: For info about Enchanted Valley, you could call the Quinault Ranger Station ((360) 288-2525). I don't remember if they rent bear canisters. If not, you can get one at the Forks Visitor Center (summer only.) If you're getting out there by car, this will all be easy. If you're coming out by bus, I'd be happy to answer other questions. I do the bus thing a lot. =)

Repeal the parking fee for WA state public lands! The Ninth Circuit court has said this isn't allowed for federal public lands; why are we allowing it at the state level?