Forum Index > Food & Grub > frying trout in the high country.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Feb 26, 2014 2:38 pm 
frenchtomytoast wrote:
Did you catch those backcountry? If so, how?
I have inadvertently caught frogs with my fly fishing set up; frogs will try to take any small fuzzy thing dangled in front of their nose. I tried it again just to see if I could do it on purpose and it was easy. I think a person could just go buy a couple small dry flies (Adams, elk hair caddis, etc) and a small spool of 5x tippet and tie these up to a stick of your choice. Dangle away for froggies...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostWed Feb 26, 2014 4:28 pm 
Watch out for the "Timbo Powder". There's a curious symbiosis developing between fish and frog populations in our mountain lakes in recent years. Fish control/poisoning efforts may be causing temporary increases, followed by decreases, in frog populations as a result of the use of the "organic" poison Rotenone. Industry shills maintain that toxicity decreases rapidly after application, but there are lots of shrill voices crying foul and tiny fists shaking powerlessly against the rising tide of chemical contamination. I've seen at least one claim that rotenone has been proven to cause parkinsons-like symptoms in lab rats. It would be nice if we had an available schedule of treatment for various lakes, (so as to avoid ingesting high concentrations of poison right after treatment) but I haven't been able to find one. Lots of expensive, inconclusive studies are becoming available. Here's a few relevant ones I've dredged up: Summitpost: Rotenone Rotenone Facts Park Service Mad Science Program Rotenone Frog Studies Stop Killing Rivers

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Apr 20, 2014 9:56 am 
ya where is the poisen info?? and I think it's stupid not to allow stocking in north cascades national park, suppose it's also true for olympic's or mt. rainier?? just please rememer to throw the fish guts into the deep part of the lake.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:03 am 
forest gnome wrote:
I think it's stupid not to allow stocking in north cascades national park, suppose it's also true for olympic's or mt. rainier??
Fish are not stocked in either Olympic or Mt Rainier National Parks and haven't been since the early 70s. North Cascades National Park has been the lone exception because the Park Service specifically said stocking would continue during hearings to establish the park. H.R. 1158 to allow a limited fish stocking program in the park has passed the House and is currently sitting in the Senate.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 am 
THANKS BRIAN....as usual u da man! up.gif

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostFri Nov 14, 2014 11:49 pm 
Bump for my method. I have a small GSI "pot" and pan set. The pot is really just a pan with a taller wall. They are about 8" in diameter. I clean my fish, take the head and tail off and boil about half an inch of water. Then throw the fish in for a couple min. Use pliers or something to grab the spine and flip it. The meat comes right off the bones when it is cooked. Toss the bones and enjoy. Just takes a few minutes and tastes great! If the fish is too big then I cut it in half.

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostSat Nov 15, 2014 9:18 am 
trailjunky wrote:
Oh yeah, and you cant go wrong with a side of froggy legs.
Just be careful which you're eating, some are federally protected. (Felony if you mess with them).

contour5

contour5
PostSat Nov 15, 2014 6:56 pm 
Too busy to argue with you, Jabber, and as I mentioned, the studies are inconclusive. I'm certain I read various accounts of wild fluctuations in the amphibian populations following poison treatments of various alpine lakes. Might be helpful if you offer some links to studies/evidence to support your rather harsh rebuttal. Or are you saying that rotenone and other poisons dumped into our alpine lakes are just basically a good thing? I like to drink the water from these lakes myself, and have serious reservations after reading of "parkinsons-like" symptoms resulting in lesser mammals after rotenone exposure.

mastertangler

mastertangler
PostSat Feb 28, 2015 10:19 am 
Cooking trout definitely has my attention. Not especially interested in carrying oil or doing the squeeze parkay and aluminum foil method. I have heard about good results with a bakepacker and freezer/cooking bags. Anybody use one for fish?

Lets Go!
MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostSat Mar 14, 2015 7:24 am 
On a stick, straight over the fire. I run the stick between the backbone and the skin. The fire gives it a good smoky flavor. I've never been a fan of the tinfoil method, they tend to sit in their own juices to long and get soggy. YMMV

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Mar 24, 2015 9:28 pm 
Somehow I've missed this thread all these years. Fires are often not practical nor allowed at many high lakes though I will definitely try the "on a stick" method next time I get the chance. When on hikes where I know I'll be fishing a lot I'll take all the necessary ingredients and implements for the following: Cut trout into chunks (perpendicular to backbone, about every 2-3"). Dredge trout through egg and roll in Progresso Italian seasoned bread crumbs until thoroughly coated. Fry in 50/50 mixture of olive oil and butter until crispy. Everyone who's eaten that raves about it. hungry.gif Here's the kitchen in action at Cathedral Lake:

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostWed Mar 25, 2015 8:09 pm 
Interesting. I must admit it sounds pretty tasty. However, there is a fire in the background and no dishes are required to clean afterwards. biggrin.gif

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Jun 15, 2015 10:52 pm 
mmmmm trout...tanks will try that metod...errr methond...method...

slave524

slave524
PostWed Aug 26, 2015 1:10 pm 
I really like the clean taste of the trout out of the high lakes so all I have ever done is fry them in a little oil in a pan over my camp stove. No additional seasoning. Sometimes we will foil wrap them and cook in the campfire which is also awesome. And if the catch is small, I will fillet them out and add the meat to some rehydrated food and/or wrap it up in a Tortilla. I clean and gut them away from camp and throw the remains back into the lake. The one time we didn't do that and just left the guts in the shallows near the bank I woke up to some sort of smallish snorting animals outside the tent. I could hear them chewing on the remains. Kind of a gross sound but the mini pig snorting was kind of cute/funny.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Aug 27, 2015 8:28 am 
It seems like most times I am in places I can catch and eat trout in the back country I have to really watch the odor due to bears. So...I prefer to cook them right by the stream, as they come out. I usually will do that for lunch, far away from my final camp for the night. I have used pretty much all the methods mentioned except for poaching/boiling. For me the best tasting are a toss up between: -on a stick over the fire -rolled in corn meal, salt, pepper, and garlic then fried in a pan with some oil. Cooked in foil with a pat of butter isn't bad either...but you have to be careful to not overcook or let them dry out. Getting soggy in foil has not been a problem for me but I can see how it could happen. I just don't seal mine tightly and keep the seam side up so steam can escape.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.