Forum Index > Partners > summer plans
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:55 am 
Looking for other old birds for PCT sections or loop trips in August.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 10:04 am 
I'm doing 2/3 of Section H, 90-ish miles, from the Bridge of the Gods to the NW side of Mt. Adams. I'll be starting on Thurs 8/21 or Fri 8/22, and hiking out to Takhlakh Lake on probably Saturday 8/30. My family will be camping at Takhlakh over Labor Day. I'll be turning 50 on the 22nd, so this is my birthday present to myself. God willing, I'll be doing this the next few years, and take my picture at Manning Park. I have a moderate pace, +/- 2 mph unless there's a lot of vert going on; I plan to hike around 10 miles per day. I'd love some company, and my better half is pretty insistent that I don't go alone.

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 11:29 am 
That sounds like a nice trip. I was thinking of doing the more scenic part, the Goat Rocks section, but... Have you done Mt. Hood to Bridge of the Gods? That's a possibility for me this year. Let's talk more.

DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 11:48 am 
I know it's not the most beautiful stretch (at least the first 35 miles), but I'm pretty committed to it. My goal is the whole Washington stretch, but over a handful of years (something about having a family and not taking more than a couple of weeks away) :-)

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 pm 
That's a reasonable approach, but I figure I haven't that many years left to do hikes like these so want to do the best first. Goat Rocks is highest on my list, but like you, my family would rather I not hike alone, so I'll think about it.

Eppo

Eppo
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:54 am 
I'm looking for people for "car exchanges" in 2014. I discovered this from people in the Olympia hiking Meetup group. Exchanging cars before you begin your hike means your car is waiting at the TH and you can just drive home. Example: PCT from Columbia River to White Pass. Two groups, opposite directions, exchange vehicles. No need for long shuttle at the end of your trip. As long as groups start on the same day it matters not how long each group plans to travel. I'd consider this trip in August. I am already planning PCT from Hart Pass to Canadian Border in September. Also like to do Low Divide, Olympic National Park in late July with car exchange.