Forum Index > Partners > Come With me to Help out at the Landslide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ratherbhiking

ratherbhiking
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 9:30 pm 
So the only reason I didn't end up in this mudslide is because my friend ended up being busy on Saturday so we went on Sunday instead... so I have decided that since I am not very far away and that could have just as easily been me up there - that I should go there and help out. Looking for somebody to go up Saturday morning. Looking for someone to split gas and share a conversation with on the way up there. I'm 30, liberal, in the tech field. Good sense of humor - like hiking, fishing, computers, movies, camping and stuff like that. Please respond with a picture and more about yourself here is my picture: My Picture

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 10:57 pm 
They are asking that people do NOT go up the help as they are already overwhelmed with volunteers and cannot manage them efficiently. I know that we all want to do something, but right now is the time to sit tight and let the trained professionals and trained volunteers do their work. There will be plenty of opportunity in the future when the dust has settled.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 6:32 am 
Gwen wrote:
They are asking that people do NOT go up the help as they are already overwhelmed with volunteers and cannot manage them efficiently. I know that we all want to do something, but right now is the time to sit tight and let the trained professionals and trained volunteers do their work. There will be plenty of opportunity in the future when the dust has settled.
What she said up.gif If you want to help you can make a monetary donation. https://ssl.charityweb.net/uwsc/?custom8=LandSlide On a side note why did you list 'liberal' when giving info on yourself? I just found that as odd. You are volunteering what difference does your political view make?

ratherbhiking

ratherbhiking
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 8:31 am 
^being liberal has nothing to do with this, I just didn't want to end up in a car for several hours with somebody I don't like talking to. Shame they can't manage to organize more volunteers - they clearly don't have enough eyes and hands up there since the vast majority of people haven't been found yet. Oh well - I get it. thanks for the link - gave a little $

Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 2:06 pm 
If we really want to help out we need to vote in legislators that support local governments. Zoning laws should have prevented building in a slide zone. When people want less government control, budgets get cut and programs - including aid - aren't available to meet people's needs. There were warnings about building in that area, but when people believe "they can't tell me what to do with my land" and "no more taxes" education is necessary, and money for enforcement of land use regulations. WE are the government; let's use the systems we have to keep ourselves safe.

DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm 
ratherbhiking wrote:
being liberal has nothing to do with this, I just didn't want to end up in a car for several hours with somebody I don't like talking to.
That's a shame. I find I have great conversations with folks from different parts of the ideological spectrum. And I go on extended hikes with some of them. Live dangerously...you'll never know what you'll learn.

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 4:43 pm 
DestinationUp wrote:
That's a shame. I find I have great conversations with folks from different parts of the ideological spectrum. And I go on extended hikes with some of them. Live dangerously...you'll never know what you'll learn.
I could not have said it better, I completely agree. I have often had the most interesting conversations with people from a different viewpoint. Even if you do not completely agree with someone does not mean you cannot have a great time with them.

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 5:22 pm 
ratherbhiking wrote:
Shame they can't manage to organize more volunteers - they clearly don't have enough eyes and hands up there since the vast majority of people haven't been found yet.
Maybe this will clarify that point: New York Times - before and after photo Some of the home sites are under water & others under 30' of clay

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 pm 
Sure would be nice if we could stay away from armchair quarterbacking and playing the blame game until these people and their communities can find some peace, which will not happen until all who are missing are accounted for. Please let's keep it to the task at hand and leave the politicking for later.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostFri Mar 28, 2014 8:35 am 
Gwen wrote:
Sure would be nice if we could stay away from armchair quarterbacking and playing the blame game until these people and their communities can find some peace, which will not happen until all who are missing are accounted for. Please let's keep it to the task at hand and leave the politicking for later.
up.gif up.gif up.gif They need our love, care, and help. When all is said and done, we as a community can debrief and figure out how to do things better next time. But the time for that is well into the future. Thoughts and prayers with all concerned.

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 am 
ratherbhiking wrote:
Shame they can't manage to organize more volunteers - they clearly don't have enough eyes and hands up there since the vast majority of people haven't been found yet.
The mudslide area is a dangerous place right now even for trained rescuers. There have been a number of injuries of emergency workers due to the treacherous circumstances. The last thing they need is MORE people getting hurt. That is not helpful to anyone. Also, people can't do much right now without large, heavy machinery. Many of the houses, let alone any people that may have been in them, are under giant piles of mud, trees, and rocks, and additionally many of them are under water.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 10:38 am 
Of course not. We are all too shocked and are grieving for the victims of the slide. But we forget so quickly, until another disaster happens. The trees grow back, houses get rebuilt, people don't want to leave the beautiful place they've lived for so long. It is not political ideology to want to prevent another disaster. The way to do this is through involvement in local government. The officials knew the danger to Oso, but there probably wasn't funding to hire experts to interpret data and get it to the people involved, or make and enforce zoning laws. There are good articles about this in the Friday March 28 Seattle Times, and also see Danny Westneat's column on Wednesday. Get involved; help where you really can.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 4:08 pm 
Boywonder wrote:
I have often had the most interesting conversations with people from a different viewpoint. Even if you do not completely agree with someone does not mean you cannot have a great time with them.
Absolutely. I can easily dislike a fellow conservative, and I've had some of the best conversations with my "liberal" friends. Political viewpoint doesn't makeup the person's character, but it's mostly the person's background that shapes the viewpoint(s), and allows the person to generate his character. It's generally the person's character that I like/dislike, not their view of the world. Hmmm, thread was hijacked I see, and it appears that I contributed to it. Back to the original topic, I'm just now reading about this event, been "out of touch" for a week dealing with own family emergency. Back to our regular programming...

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 5:04 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Some of the home sites are under water & others under 30' of clay
That really puts things in perspective. God bless.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln