Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Surefire way to rescue dry feet asap?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm 
It's raining out but my feet are like the Sahara Desert..... This week two small cracks opened up to say hi and remind me 46 year old's feet take longer to heal. Other than this Heel Rescue cream I knew I should make a trip to town for something else. Although the HR seems to work good enough. I've noticed lots of opinions along the isles of the pharmacy. The 'dealer suggested Sarna for my dry feet. I also picked up: Aloe Vera (100% Gel Pure- catchy sales phrases refined?) Shea Butter (Refined) And 9 new pairs of white socks.... Fours days later my feet feel better, but are still dry despite the globs of cream they get a few times a day. Anything else? Snake oil or witches brew? PBR? My bets on the Heel Rescue but I've read good things on the Shea Butter. Not sure if the refined makes a huge difference. Can't be 100% sure it's organic unless you grow it yourself. So am I doing enough or over doing it? Time, hygene and tlc I suppose. Epsom salt soak followed by a generous slathering of Aloe Vera?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 7:08 pm 
Are you staying hydrated? Quickest thing to turn my hands into terra cotta is not drinking enough water. I made a homemade balm with various veggie oils and butters which is probably a lot of what's in the rescue cream of yours. Soak your feet in warm water at night, dry them off, slather with goop, put in socks, and sleep tight. You might also consider going to get yourself a pedicure with a paraffin treatment.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 8:21 pm 
I had issues with cracking heels for years. I finally discovered the pedicure tools that have two different levels of sandpaper on each side of the paddle. $2.99 at the most at Bartell. These work the best of any tool and I had tried them all. Don't buy the cheese grater or shaver type. Here's an expensive version http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-5103-r-Spa-Callus-Smoother/dp/B000WHYC7I

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 11:02 pm 
this

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 11:25 pm 
like2thruhike, have you ever heard of Bag Balm? This is what we use when camping on the playa (dry alkaline lake beds in Nevada). It was designed for dairy farmers to soften cow's udders. (You know those dairy cows get lots of chafing action from being milked twice a day.) You can buy it at many places---including drug stores, pet stores and farm supply stores. A little bit goes a long way. Since it is a product designed for animals, it is not required to list the ingredients. I easily found this information online and this note: 8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate at 0.3% in a petrolatum and lanolin base. Petrolatum and lanolin are both common skin care ingredients and are also used in heavy duty ointments and wound care products. The real star of the show is the 8-Hydroxyquinoline Sulfate. According to several sources such as this one, this compound is a bacteriostatic and fungistatic agent and it’s used to prepare antiseptics, deodorants, antiperspirants, and fungicides. The recipe is over a 100 years old. So be informed and do what is best for you. As you can see from the website, it's not just for cows. Other animals and pets are being treated with it. They claim Admiral Byrd took it with him to the North Pole. Some folks put it on their feet and sleep in socks if they are having foot issues. I tended to have more problems with my hands drying, so I would rub it in and wear my leather work gloves when bicycling across the playa. ~z

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 12:12 am 
Thanks folks. I never considered my water intake, interesting. Bag Balm. I've seen the tin but never tried it. I'll check it out!

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 5:36 am 
bag balm under socks is great. Also really good for cuticles and lips pumice stone after soaking, though you want to remove the dead the layers slowly over time.

Frosty

Frosty
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 11:00 am 
Slather on vaseline and put on white cotton socks before bedtime. Use a pumice stone after a bath to take off dead skin. Repeat as needed. This works for me... cool.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 6:27 pm 
I pee on mine followed by a vasaline coating... for a few hrs while relaxing in camp, then just wash em off in the stream or lake.... up.gif

sams rapids

sams rapids
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 pm 
Stop washing your feet with soap so much. Dries them out. Vick's Vapo Rub works for me, smells so good.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 pm 
Every night, use the hydrating method of your choice (olive or coconut oil, lotion, balm, whatever) and, if you like, put socks on and keep them there. EVERY TIME, after you shower, repeat that process. The hot water in the shower dries my feet out something fierce. (I don't do the sock thing most of the time because my feet have always felt *drier* with socks on, so I just can't stand sleeping in them half the time.)

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Apr 04, 2014 10:00 am 
Mike Clelland's book "Ultralight Backpackin's Tips" recommends some water-repellant (?) foot-balm product whose name escapes me (help, anybody?). I think the idea was to prevent water-absorption, prubefeet. He suggests treating only one foot to see if it makes any difference -- for the scientific-minded. I don't usually get foot trouble, but I was developing early trench foot by the end of a 9-day trip in wet weather. I had quite new boots (Sportiva Karakorums I think); can't recall if they were Goretex (I suspect goretex holds water in), but the full rubber rand made them bathtubs. Water couldn't get out. The fabric liners were sponges (good boots used to have leather linings). I literally could not pour the standing water out of them if the instructions had been written on the soles. I was sponging them out with my mittens. Trenchfoot is a big deal for the military in wet conditions -- what do they recommend; anybody? I wouldn't use olive oil or smelly oils in bear country.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 04, 2014 2:38 pm 
Hydrocortisone?

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:15 pm 
The Bag Balm is working good. up.gif