Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Great Lyrics
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 5:00 pm 
While at art store on Broadway a song came on Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down The Line." It stopped me dead, I just squatted there staring into my list listening. One of those songs full of meaning and put together perfectly. Just like his "Baker Street." Minutes later Kansas "Dust In The Wind." I've always had an interest in lyrics. Springsteen (Factory, Downbound Trail, The River), Neil Young (Old Man, Heart Of Gold), Metallica (Fade To Black), Billy Joel (Movin Out, Just The Way You Are), Kansas (Dust In The Wind, Carry On) , Fleetwood Mac, CSNY (Horse With No Name), Jack White-White Stripes,Bob Segar (Travelin Man, Hollywood Nights). Eagles, Marty Bobbins (El Paso, Water), Johnny Cash , Neil Diamond, Joan Baez, Jackson Browne (Stay), Queen (Under Pressure, Bohemian Rhapsody), The Cure (Just Like Heaven), Jim Morrison-The Doors, Foo Fighters (Everlong) On and on, I could seriously be here for days. . Just a sliver of what I've enjoyed over the decades.....More to come. I'm sure this will spark the imaginations here. Share your favorite lyrics! Gotta go, works calling.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 5:37 pm 
Oh boy too many great songs out there. Here is just the beginning of Entre Nous from RUSH!! The greatest band ever!! We are secrets to each other Each one's life a novel No one else has read Even joined in bonds of love We're linked to one another By such slender threads We are planets to each other Drifting in our orbits To a brief eclipse Each of us a world apart Alone and yet together Like two passing ships Just in case you want to hear the tune.

Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Apr 01, 2014 6:03 am 
Tom Waits, I think the song is called "The 2:19" (a train) Was that a raindrop or a tear in your eye? Were you drying your nails or waiving goodby?

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Apr 01, 2014 8:16 pm 
like2thruhike wrote:
Minutes later Kansas "Dust In The Wind.
Ever since this, I can never here that song the same way again:

shadetree

shadetree
PostWed Apr 02, 2014 6:47 am 
Horse with no name is America Johnny cash comes to mind.
like2thruhike wrote:
While at art store on Broadway a song came on Gerry Rafferty's "Right Down The Line." It stopped me dead, I just squatted there staring into my list listening. One of those songs full of meaning and put together perfectly. Just like his "Baker Street." Minutes later Kansas "Dust In The Wind." I've always had an interest in lyrics. Springsteen (Factory, Downbound Trail, The River), Neil Young (Old Man, Heart Of Gold), Metallica (Fade To Black), Billy Joel (Movin Out, Just The Way You Are), Kansas (Dust In The Wind, Carry On) , Fleetwood Mac, CSNY (Horse With No Name), Jack White-White Stripes,Bob Segar (Travelin Man, Hollywood Nights). Eagles, Marty Bobbins (El Paso, Water), Johnny Cash , Neil Diamond, Joan Baez, Jackson Browne (Stay), Queen (Under Pressure, Bohemian Rhapsody), The Cure (Just Like Heaven), Jim Morrison-The Doors, Foo Fighters (Everlong) On and on, I could seriously be here for days. . Just a sliver of what I've enjoyed over the decades.....More to come. I'm sure this will spark the imaginations here. Share your favorite lyrics! Gotta go, works calling.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Apr 02, 2014 12:00 pm 
The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin' That's what I said The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand Or, so I've read. My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo I love to sink her with my pink torpedo. Big bottom Big bottom Talk about bum cakes My gal's got 'em. Big bottom Drive me out of my mind. How can I leave this behind? I saw her on Monday, twas my lucky bun day You know what I mean. I love her each weekday, each velvety cheek day You know what I mean. My love gun's loaded and she's in my sights Big game's waiting there inside her tights. Big bottom Big bottom Talk about mud flaps My gal's got 'em. Big bottom Drive me out of my mind. How can I leave this behind?

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
wolffie

wolffie
PostWed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 pm 
with apologies to one of my musical heroes, John Prine Dear Abby, Dear Abby, please answer my mail, My ears are too big, and I don't have a tail, My legs are so short, I'm just 6 inches tall, The world is so big, and I'm feelin' so small. (signed) New Puppy New Puppy, New Puppy, you have no complaint, You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't, So listen up, Buster, and listen up good, Start wishin' for dog food and knockin' on wood. (signed) Dear Abby. Dear Abby, Dear Abby, please hear my concerns, They won't let me dig holes or roll in dead worms. They won't let me bark, bite, or chew on their shoes, There's so many rules, and I'm feling confused. (signed) New Puppy New Puppy, New Puppy, you have no complaint, You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't. Learn all the rules, and learn 'em up good, Train them to love you. Keep knockin' on wood. (signed) Dear Abby Dear Abby, Dear Abby, Now what do you think? Whenever I poop, they all raise a big stink. They get all excited whenever I pee. Is it something with them, or something with me? (signed) New Puppy New Puppy, New Puppy, you have no complaint, You are what you are, and you ain't what you ain't. You won't be the best, and you won't be the worst, Whenever you go, you should go outside first. (signed) Dear Abby Dear Abby, Dear Abby, I'm writing to say, I'm all grown-up now and I'm happy today. My new home is almost too good to be true, I've taught them to love me, and I love them too. (signed) New Puppy New Puppy, New Puppy, you're on the right track, When you love somebody, they love you right back. Remember, wherever you wander and roam, There's nuthin' like family, there's no place like home. (signed) Dear Abby If that is not disgustingly saccharine enough for you: The LIttle Dog Blues

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 2:37 pm 
"The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand." lol.gif I remember that. Classic. lol.gif Right, lots of lyrics out there. Lots of good music, back then.... Styx- Suite Madam Blue Lucky Man- Emerson Lake and Palmer Cool Change- The Little River Band The Bargain- The Who Classic rock with a side of metal? Last week I had "On Fire" by Van Halen in my head. Their best song?

mgd

mgd
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 4:36 pm 
RichP

RichP
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 4:56 pm 
This song has special meaning for me at present:

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 5:37 pm 
While hiking I have often thought of the Johnny Cash phrase "breathing air that ain't been breathed before" from "Understand Your Man".

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 5:43 pm 
re: teapot I always favored Wunda Wunda's version myself... maybe that's just my own affinity for local talent....
mgd wrote:
dance the night away
thought at first you meant Cream's version until I looked at the post above. not really overly familiar with Van Halen's entire repertoire, but I always thought their cover of John Brim's "Ice Cream Man" was one of their best works. but back to lyrics: gotta hand it to Pete Brown- even if they didn't make any sense, his images painted with words are hard to forget. and who would have ever thought that Martin Sharp could be as brilliant with his prose as his pen, with his "tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers"?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."