Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Peter Matthiessen dead at 86
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 06, 2014 5:11 pm 
NEW YORK (AP) — Peter Matthiessen, a rich man's son who spurned a life of leisure and embarked on extraordinary physical and spiritual quests while producing such acclaimed books as "The Snow Leopard" and "At Play in the Fields of the Lord," died Saturday. He was 86. Definitely one of the old school good guys frown.gif . http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/05/peter-matthiessen-dead_n_5098524.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Abert

Abert
PostSun Apr 06, 2014 6:33 pm 
Daybreak. At Windward Passage, four hundred miles due east, the sun is rising. Wind east-northeast, thirty-eight knots, with gusts to forty-five: a gale. Black Waves, wind-feathered. White birds, dark birds. The trade winds freshen at first light, and the sea rises in long ridges, rolling west. Sunrise at longitude 76, 19 degrees north latitude. Sunrise at longitude 77. Sunrise at the lesser Caymans. Horizon rises from horizon. To the westward, Grand Cayman is gray; its high cumulus, visible to migrant birds a hundred miles away, is a gray-pink. The sun, coming hard around the world: the island rises from the sea, sinks, rises, holds. From Far Tortuga. At a time when I was spending much (the best) of my life on the water nothing I read meant more to me.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:13 am 
I read Wildlife in America as a young man and was profoundly influenced by it. He was a gifted author and a very good guy.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:22 am 
there was a very good interview with him on Saturday morning ( NPR) they did not say when it was recorded. He was having chemo and was very weak in the recording. During the airing they had not mentioned he had passed away that day so I assume it was later that day. Despite his weakness it was a compelling discussion..

Stella

Stella
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 8:39 pm 
The Snow Leopard has a earned a permanent place on my bookshelf. It's not a book that can be picked up at anytime; it's a read that takes dedicated time to meet Matthiessen at that time and place in his life. It's well worth the effort. The timing of the NPR broadcast and the NY Times Sunday magazine article were remarkable.