Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What type is your car?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

What type is your car?
Gas only or diesel powered
86%
 86%  [ 57 ]
Hybrid
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Pure electric
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Car?
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 pm 
The cost of shipping including the return. The cost of the battery was ~$2100 and the shipping was $125 (delivery of battery and return of old). We did not cost out what it would have been to have it replaced at a dealer or mechanic. We liked the idea of their replacement battery instead of a remanufactured/refurbished battery. I know it sounds like a lot but we have had very little maintenance costs over the 11 years. It has been a lot less than my previous Accord which we had for 20 years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 10:46 pm 
Boywonder wrote:
I thought that most environmentally friendly folks would drive a small mainly gas powered car. That is what I do anyhow. The more folks buy battery/hybrid power cars the more land has to be mined of rare earth elements. Not to mention where are all of those old batteries going to go 20 years from now. Well that is my thought process, I could be wrong about the whole thing.
why I drive a $700 honda civic hatcback that gets 40+mpg. its paid for, it's cheap, and it sips gas

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 10:56 am 
marta wrote:
I know it sounds like a lot but we have had very little maintenance costs over the 11 years. It has been a lot less than my previous Accord which we had for 20 years.
Not as long as other stuff doesn't start falling apart. How many miles on the car? I was thinking the same with my 2000 Nissan Maxima as I really like the car but when it hit 215k miles, I can see the money pit forming and so far have not set foot in it. I.E. fix one thing, something else breaks etc.. Time to move on. It still really runs OK, but CV joints, leaking power steering fluid (I suspect), and a strange sound after starting/at low speeds/idle which at least one mechanic couldn't determine cause. Ca Ching, Ca Ching... lol.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 12:23 pm 
High odometer mileage readings are not necessarily a harbinger of increasing maintenance costs or frequency. Certainly there are components which inevitably will fail- brakes linings, wheel bearings, and water pumps are three which unquestionably fall into that category. All cars will have components which fail over time, in some cases due to normal wear and tear, in others inadequate design and engineering, and in some what is commonly referred to as "planned obsolescence" (i.e., the component is engineered to fail after a given time.) The commonly held belief that a car with 100K on the odometer is ready for trade-in is a remnant of the past. Certainly cars with high odometer readings are going to show signs of age just as we ourselves do (i.e., less power, more noise), but even minimal upkeep and maintenance can keep some vehicles on the road for 200,000 or 300,000 miles. There are, however, the problems of availability and the ever-increasing cost of replacement parts as the vehicle gets older, which need to be taken into account when one has to choose between repair or trade-in. (After passing the emissions test yesterday, I bought new tabs for my truck, which has 290,013 miles on the odometer. I believe Larry put new spark plugs in it at about 130,000. I get about 18-19 mpg on the highway, about the same as when it had 35,000 on the odometer.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 12:26 pm 
Ski wrote:
The commonly held belief that a car with 100K on the odometer is ready for trade-in is a remnant of the past.
That was a commonly held belief? Crazy. To be fair, I did think that 200k miles was a good time to look into replacing your car, but that's because that was the odometer reading when my dad usually hauled an engine out of the car to rebuild it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 pm 
well.... all things have to be taken in context: I started on a parts counter in 1963, and during the 60's and 70's, anything with over 100K usually fell into the "$200 beater" category.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 1:59 pm 
tigermn wrote:
Not as long as other stuff doesn't start falling apart. How many miles on the car?
I only have about 120,000 on it. We almost got rid of it instead of replacing the battery but when we weighed the cost of a new car/payments and increased insurance versus the 2200, we decided to replace it. It is a manual so there could be some costly repairs yet. We haven't been putting a lot of miles on it the last couple of years (<10,000). I work from home now so I'm not putting 30+ miles per day as I did when I worked downtown. Most of the miles are coming from weekend trips.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 2:12 pm 
I'd say at 120k miles you should have a ways to go before stuff starts falling apart. Heck almost any semi major car repair these days is gonna cost you at least a grand if not more anyway.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 3:39 pm 
I recently bought a 1995 (no computer, no electronics) Dodge Cummins diesel truck. Second owner. Maintenance records. 199.000 miles. $10,000. I got 26 MPG on the ride home from Portland. The same truck new today would be 50,000+! Im very happy with my purchase.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostWed Apr 09, 2014 4:00 pm 
'96 Grand Cherokee that I picked up on the cheap a year ago when my '91 Pathfinder finally croaked. It's got a big V8 and a couple hundred grand on the odometer, lots of power and handles/runs well. Decent shape and so far pretty reliable, just don't ask about the mileage-- you'd think that when this thing came off the line, we'd just won an oil war or something... eek.gif

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...