Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Warning about E-Filing your Tax Return.....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 8:54 am 
We e-filed our return in 2011 and received confirmation. Then last winter our mail caught up with us in Arizona and their was a badly photocopied "document" in a cheap envelope saying "thanks for the check, but we never received your return". My wife thought is was a scam and said throw away the letter. Well, it turned out to be legit. So we have so far sent TWO more returns. They have lost two of the three returns. We are still not sure about the last return we mailed. But here is the warning. When we e-filed our 2012 return I told the accountant I wanted confirmation that the IRS received our return. So on April 15th at 11:00pm he calls me and tells that the IRS rejected our return. The reason.................."NO 2011 return on FILE". Fortunately, I sent a paper copy with a return receipt request on the 2012 return. If I had not sent the paper copy....we would have been TWO years "without" filing a return according to the IRS. That did it for me. Paper copies and return receipt requested.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Apr 10, 2014 9:18 am 
Weird (and YIKES). Been e-filing for years with no problems.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!

PostThu Apr 10, 2014 10:42 am 
Everybody makes mistakes including the IRS. However, the time and energy to UNDO their mistake is enormous. Then the cascading effect of NO 2011 return on file!!!!! And rejecting the 2012 return!!! REALLY....somebody wants to file and pay taxes and you have the computer programmed to reject the return if they did NOT file the previous year!!!!

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 10, 2014 11:14 am 
I had efiled for years -- but in more recent years I'm back to mailing paper -- mainly 'cause I always underwithhold, keep the money invested and then owe them money (carefully calculated to avoid any under payment penalties). When I mail in a paper check, the money stays in my account for a couple more weeks than if I pay electronically.

SeanSullivan86

SeanSullivan86
PostThu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm 
How much does that save you? $5000 * (1% annual return for money in a checking account) * (1/12th of a year) ~= $4 (and a stamp for the envelope?)

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 10, 2014 3:58 pm 
SeanSullivan86 wrote:
How much does that save you? $5000 * (1% annual return for money in a checking account) * (1/12th of a year) ~= $4 (and a stamp for the envelope?)
Well it's not really about the money during those two weeks -- more about the money in another inventment account (7% return this year) the rest of the year.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 7:42 am 
If you have an account with a major fund manager (e.g. Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab) or many major banks you can file by logging on to your account and using their license of TurboTax. Sometimes it is free or they may charge a small fee (Vanguard charges me $9.99). There are several advantages to doing your tax this way: 1.) you get the latest version of TurboTax for free or a small amount instead of buying it each year for $60 - $100. 2.) you can fill out TurboTax online while logged on to your secure account link and it will usually let you import all your financial info straight from your account (and lots of other outside accounts). 3.) when you file the return you get an almost instant confirmation from your financial institution and the IRS that it was received and accepted. That gives you a record from both your bank and the IRS. In addition, if you give them your bank routing number you can get your refund or pay them what you owe electronically in a very short time. I have been doing it this way for years and have been getting a refund into my bank in a few days each time. Edit: Also, if you don't have an account that offers this service I think the online version of TurboTax will let you import tax data and get filing confirmation the same way.