Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bad Reviews of National Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
contour5

contour5
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm 
Quote:
ScottP wrote: Quote: ...did building a road into Yosemite Valley ruin Yosemite? In fact, yes, yes it did. You were there before they built the road?
Not sure how this can even be a question. The smog, and the shopping mall mentality that pervades Yosemite Valley Village speaks for itself. It doesn't take too much imagination to conjure a glimpse of what it once must have been like. Dropping in from Tuolumne via the Olmstead/Watkins trail is like descending from some sort of earthly paradise into the very depths of hell. The road didn't "ruin Yosemite", but it introduced an astonishing level of urban blight to the valley floor.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Apr 11, 2014 9:51 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Yeah, the trouble with the outdoors in general is that once you're out there, it's like -- now what? Once you spend, you know, like 5 minutes outside, you can't help but wonder what's the big deal?
Funny, but I feel the same what whenever I go to a large city. I think, "Man, what a pathetic existence to be shut in by all this concrete and bombarded with all this noise and other artificial stimulation." On the other hand, when I am at a place with superlative-worthy beauty, I have difficulty prying myself away. I could spend all day and all night on a mountaintop (spent a fabulous night on Ellinor once, didn't bed down 'til about 4 a.m.) and not have the sense of wonder dim one bit.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message