Forum Index > Trip Reports > Moab country walks: Art, Arches, Vistas April 10-12, 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 1:47 pm 
Part 2 of my 2014 Canyon Country Travels The time came to relax a bit after my Island in the Sky backpack took most of my strength away. Now I am rejuvenated and headed to the Needles for a nice long stint. I based out of the fine little Willow Flat campground in The Island in the Sky district of Canyonlands National Park and ventured from there. Some driving involved, but easy and pleasant. Thursday: Hellroaring Canyon is just north of the Island, outside of the park. It is known for arches and rock art. My day first took me along an easy three miles of mesa walking to an overlook of Jewell Tibbetts Arch. The trailhead, off the Island in the Sky Highway, is 1.5 miles down a signed sandy and slickrock track. the Honda made it a mile when the slickrock got too rough.
Tibbetts Arch
Tibbetts Arch
Hellroaring Canyon
Hellroaring Canyon
Arch and Claret Cup
Arch and Claret Cup
Access to the inner canyon, where the rock art is, is problematic as no official trail finds its way through the cliffs. On a lead, my task was to find an entrance for a future pursuit of the famous and remarkable Rock Art. I found the route known as the "Dubinky Sheep" route which I will save for another time. After that it was time to visit Sevenmile Canyon (the Island in the Sky Highway 313 passes through it) and find the spectacular pictographs and petroglyphs located there. How many times have I drove right by some of the oldest and most remarkable art known. The 2000 years old Intestine Man and Snake in Mouth (green pigment snake that my camera does great injustice to) have watched me pass by many a time with me unknowing! Snake in Mouth is 4 feet tall!
Intestine Man
Intestine Man
Petroglyphs, Intestine site
Petroglyphs, Intestine site
Coyote?
Coyote?
TV Sheep (awful name)
TV Sheep (awful name)
Snake in Mouth
Snake in Mouth
I quickly headed down to the Arches National Park to inquire about a Fiery Furnace Ranger Guided Tour spot for Friday. No such luck but I found out that a limited number of self guided permits are available per day and one was left! Friday: One great thing about the Willow Flat camp is the five minute walk to Green river Overlook, coffee in mug and hand, for sunrises and sunsets.
Green River View morning
Green River View morning
Cleopatra's chair
Cleopatra's chair
Candlestick Tower and Half Dome
Candlestick Tower and Half Dome
Distant Henry Mtns
Distant Henry Mtns
Lighted candlestick
Lighted candlestick
Unnamed dome
Unnamed dome
I was excited for the Fiery Furnace, but the orientation video and mandatory permit lecture left me wondering, how tough could it be????? The point the NPS is making is that folks get frustrated finding a way in that they do much damage to the cryptobiotic soil in trying. I was determined to walk only on wash sand and solid slickrock. OK, after an hour I am not too proud to admit nearing defeat! Mostly because I was so conscious not to walk on any crust or vegetation. Perseverance finally brought me to the first inner natural bridge between fins. Exiting that dead end I noticed an obscure dryfall (looks just like a low fin, really) because I could tell that water definitely washes over in flash floods. Hmm...what is behind that????? It was the key to the inner sanctum! I found an all skickrock boulder scramble in. On the return could see where the guided tours go through a cleft in the bouldery slickrock I used to gain access. I was in....the canyon yielded its beautiful fins, arches, narrows, and bridges.
Fiery Furnace, Arches National Park
Fiery Furnace, Arches National Park
Small bridge in the Furnace
Small bridge in the Furnace
Arches National Park
Arches National Park
Portrait by a friend
Portrait by a friend
Arches National Park
Arches National Park
IMG_6777
IMG_6777
IMG_6777
IMG_6777
Furnace light; Arches National Park, UT
Furnace light; Arches National Park, UT
passageways
passageways
Inner Sanctum Bridge
Inner Sanctum Bridge
The riches are hidden within
The riches are hidden within
I had a touch of energy left and heard the Klondike Bluffs road was graded gravel. Gravel anyway, not sure of when last graded! The washboard was intense and took me 25 minutes to go 6 miles. I am sure some nuts and bolts have worked loose on the ole' Honda but hopefully will not release completely free until I am back in WA! It is 1.7 miles one way through the bluffs to the Marching Men and Tower Arch:
Marching Men
Marching Men
Klondike Bluffs finlandia
Klondike Bluffs finlandia
IMG_6792
IMG_6792
Famous Tower Arch
Famous Tower Arch
LaSals behind Marchers
LaSals behind Marchers
Arches National Park
Arches National Park
sandstone play
sandstone play
Saturday: Time to leave the Island for resupply and shower day in a Moab campground. Why not bag an easy summit with over 1500 feet of prominence on the way out? Well, the highest point on the "Island" is the lowly and modest "The Knoll" a few hundred yards off the Deadhorse Point State Park road. I paid it a visit.
Silly bump with 1550 ft prominence
Silly bump with 1550 ft prominence
No busting crust
No busting crust
Pete's Mesa and Merrimac
Pete's Mesa and Merrimac
IMG_6833
IMG_6833
Tomorrow, off to Canyonlands National Park, Needles district. If all goes well, ten days of interesting backpacking will ensue, complete with the company of other NWHikers for some of it! It will be 10 days worth so not sure when I will sign back in to this here site to write up the journey.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 3:44 pm 
up.gif The Fiery Furnace looks awesome, way more pleasant than the name seems to infer. Maybe it feels that way in the middle of summer.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 4:48 pm 
Very fine, especially the Fiery Furnace.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 5:14 pm 
awesome! very cool petroglyphs! up.gif love the other 'parts' of the Fiery Furnace. did this guided … i would have gotten lost if i did it without a guide! worth the $10. Fiery Furnace TR

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 6:04 pm 
excellent images of the petroglyphs. thanks!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Apr 13, 2014 7:21 am 
bobbi wrote:
awesome! very cool petroglyphs! up.gif love the other 'parts' of the Fiery Furnace. did this guided … i would have gotten lost if i did it without a guide! worth the $10. Fiery Furnace TR
Thanks so much, Bobbi, for the TR! I missed much! I never found the route with the chipped footing that led to Surprise Arch. Had the space been available I'd have loved to have done it guided. Like everywhere else down here, something missed is a great excuse to return another time! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.