Forum Index > Partners > Overweight Underdog looking to do small hikes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BearQueen
Ready to Go

BearQueen
Ready to Go
PostSat Jan 18, 2014 7:32 pm 
:geek: :geek: Hello! I am looking for other positive women as hiking partners. However, my situation is unique, so here it is. My name is Rebekah (BearQueen) and I have fibromyalgia and chronic pain from Sciatica, which is manifesting as pain in my leg and shoots down from my back. I fell down on concrete about a month ago and the pain has been excrutiating. I also have very little money from sporadic temp job and chronic unemployment and have a beater car, and desperately want to get away and go out into hiking, but the car really cannot go out to these areas. However, I am interested in looking beyond that and challenging myself with small hikes. I am 40 and have 100 pounds to lose. I am more interested in hiking for the beauty and love of nature, and the spiritual connection to it. I have numerous challenges physically, so I need to find someone who is extremely supportive, compassionate, and is not interested in bounding up the mountain for speed or to show off physical prowess. I really need a hiking partner who may be significantly overweight like myself as well as have some other challenge that makes them be able to relate to me, and find someone who wants to make a difference in someone else's life (mine) by going out in nature and helping me gradually build on each experience so I can stronger in every way (Emotionally, physically and spiritually.) I hope to get to know you online as an acquaintance first. My husband, EastKing, is significantly fit and is a huge presence on SummitPost and NWHikers. He is supportive, but he ends up doing really big hikes that I am not able to do and thus I end up not going with people that he does have rides with. I have been unemployed for a long time and my self esteem has taken some hard hits since I moved here in 2007, with wanting to get a really amazing start in Seattle and that did not happen due to my mother dying, chronic unemployment, not being able to get a full time writing job (I am a journalist and small town reporter) and it just got worse and worse. However, I am wanting to CREATE MY REALITY AND CREATE A NEW ERA FOR MYSELF. I am a lover of the outdoors and as much as I do want to advance into bigger hikes, I am not a climber, and although I have completely confidence that I could progress into that once I lose 100 or even 80 pounds, that is not why I want to hike. I want to find a spiritual connection again to the Northwest and get out to meet new people. The requirements are: Positive people only, who go hiking not just for sport, but also to take pictures and appreciate the outdoors and are not these uberly annoying peak baggers who are interested in comparing themselves to other people. I had been active on this site as recently as 2011, and from the years of 207 to 2011, but I significantly dropped off due to circumstantial stuff that took me over and weighed me down. I guess I had been known as an underdog back then too b/c I still had my weight problem then (though it was less then, and i do not plan ion having it for much longer, meaning I want to lose 100 pounds this year) and I had been ill for two years with kidney and bladder stuff. It was horrific, so then I feel off the site, and felt so bad, because i had wanted to make EastKing proud by doing more hikes again. Now in may ways, I have more physical challenges, but I am more motivated, and I should say inspired to have a better life. That is because I think willpower only gets one so far when they have as many challenges as me. One has to have the soul burning desire deep within to have a better life. It has also been difficult, extremely difficult, to meet nice people in Seattle or who are Seattleites. I find them to be people who put up walls and can be hard to get to know. I tend to relate more to other areas around Seattle and like those better, like Puyallup or Enumclaw, so my goal is to move out there next year. I am a very social person, so I figure if I am this friendly and outgoing, I am not sure what it takes sometimes to make friends here in Seattle. I had hiked Mt. Lassen as recently as 2011 and it was an amazing experience, and I believe that is the most recently one I did: "Healing and passion on Mt. Lassen". Most notably, I am going to be posting a few trip reports coming up including Mt. Cavanaugh, which may be known by certain sectors, but not widely known, and is a beautiful hike. I know that the only way I am going to get outdoors is to broaden my horizons, but I truly need to do it with the right people, who, again, are compassionate and empathetic and who understand my situations. Also, my rules on the trail are: Never go ahead unless it is agreed upon for some REALLY GOOD reason, but I generally like to stick together on the trail, be respectful in every way and be positive. If you are understand the vibration/jist/general point of what I am putting forth, I would love to hear from you.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one." by John Lennon I hope to do some summits and waterfalls this year with my husband EastKing.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Karen

Karen
PostSun Jan 19, 2014 9:33 pm 
Hi Rebekah - I sent you a PM. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostSat Feb 01, 2014 1:54 am 
Cool BQ! Hopefully you will be able to get some good hikes soon.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
JandCrew

JandCrew
PostTue Feb 04, 2014 10:16 am 
BearQueen, I will send you a message. I am in a similar boat to you. I am happy to be out and about and the miles and peaks don't matter to me. Jeanette

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 6:34 pm 
Heading out with BearQueen tomorrow. PM us if interested.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSat Mar 08, 2014 11:17 am 
Just want to congratulate you on taking the leap of faith to write your post. up.gif Some times it is just so hard to keep a positive focus when life piles on. And yet that is exactly what we need to do if we are going to see it through. We need to acknowledge the realities of what we are up against, however daunting, and then give ourselves credit for the all the little steps that begin the journey toward overcoming limitations, and achieving our goals. I think you did a hugely brave thing putting your story "out there." I sincerely hope that it leads you to finding what you need. Keep us posted!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 4:01 pm 
IanB wrote:
I think you did a hugely brave thing putting your story "out there."
up.gif up.gif up.gif I second IanB! For me, there's nothing quite as awesome as seeing someone reach for the brass ring. See you on the trails! smile.gif

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Kathleen

Kathleen
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 9:28 pm 
I totally get where you're coming from as far as the weight at least although my health issue is primarily pcos. Last time I did much hiking I was only about 60 pounds overweight and it was a lot easier. Then I had a baby and a rough few years of unstable employment and depression and ended up 160 pounds overweight. I'm right now around 130 pounds overweight thanks to starting low carb eating at the beginning of the year but just starting to add in exercise. Went out for the first time today and it was easier than I expected but doing it with a 4 year old with mild special needs and a husband who hasn't hike since he was a kid plus a lot more extra pounds is not easy. smile.gif