Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What to do with a 12 year old in a wheelchair on a rainy day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 9:43 pm 
don't know how far you're willing to drive, but.... years ago while working on the beach trails down at Kalaloch, a lady pulled up in a big van with a lift ramp on the back. she had a boy about 9 or 10 in a wheelchair, and he steered that thing all the way down to the edge of the bluff at South Beach where we all watched a mama whale and her baby rolling around in the breakers for about an hour. was about this time of year, as I recall... mid-April or May.... the serviceberry was just starting to bud out.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hiker1

hiker1
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 10:03 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There have been many thousands of dollars spent to make the trail to Big 4 ice caves wheel chair accessible, so once the snow is gone I would think that would be a great destination. I have never seen anyone in a wheel chair on that trail, although I think it would be doable.
I saw a blind man and friend walking the Ice Caves Trail. Had I not seen that he was blind, I would never have guessed: they were moving as fast as everyone else on the trail. And that was the day I was with a friend who recently had hip replacement. He didn't complain about the trail. And I remember seeing a paved accessible trail at the Hurricane Ridge Visitor center in ONP. Here's the ONP page for accessible facilities like trails, for later in the summer of course, at least for Hurricane Ridge.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 11:31 am 
I took him kayaking this weekend. (PS He'd be totally geeked out if the views and comments went way up)
He did awesome, this is the end after about 30 minutes of tooling around the lake. As you can see he clearly picked up how to steer, I told him to aim for our camera person.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 14, 2014 5:19 pm 
cool! smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Apr 15, 2014 1:57 pm 
Sweet! I remember seeing somewhere a video of a guy in a wheelchair launching his kayak by himself...just to put it out there clown.gif Our lakes are still frozen- you guys are pretty lucky down there!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif