Forum Index > Gear Talk > Garmin 650 Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 11:48 am 
If I'm going to buy the Garmin 650 and add on the 24K maps is there any good reason to by the 650T version that comes with the 100K maps already loaded? I don't plan to use outside the NW. So the question is... Is there ever a time the 100K maps are better than the 24K maps?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:12 pm 
No. If you are going to buy or use other maps don't spend the extra money on 100k maps which are generally lame anyway. Get the version without any maps.

mike

mike
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:22 pm 
No reason to buy the 650 either. Just get the 600 and add free maps.Don't buy the 24k either FWIW I'm in Scotland using free UK routable topos. Very handy. Just put in a POI and it routes for hiking. B&B, restaurant, castle, etc. Gets you there the shortest route. Mark a waypoint when you leave in the morning to get back

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:38 pm 
I need to start laying down bets with people on how many responses it will take before someone tells me I'm buying (or doing) the wrong thing and that their desires surely must be superior to my own. I couldn't possibly be entitled to purchase what *I* want, could I?? irked.gif Oh and then if I dare point this out... I'm the bad guy. devilsmile.gif At least I can take comfort in the fact that I consistently pick the wrong [insert any item here] banghead.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 pm 
mike wrote:
No reason to buy the 650 either. Just get the 600 and add free maps.Don't buy the 24k either FWIW I'm in Scotland using free UK routable topos. Very handy. Just put in a POI and it routes for hiking. B&B, restaurant, castle, etc. Gets you there the shortest route. Mark a waypoint when you leave in the morning to get back
As far as I can tell the only difference between the 600 and the 650 is the fact that the 650 has a 5MP camera. Purchase according to your needs. I like the Garmin 24K topo's because they also include street routing. I.E. if you want to also use them to get to the trailhead they do a pretty decent job, even having a lot of forest service roads (although sometimes they get confused on some FS roads). I tried to use some "free" routable maps but they didn't work/couldn't even route me to North Seattle. Maybe there are better free ones out there.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 10:18 pm 
There's one in the trade section. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8009936

mhlSilverdale

mhlSilverdale
PostWed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 pm 
I believe the 650 comes with a rechargeable battery pack that can be charged with a USB cable. That can save carrying extra batteries, if you charge from a pack or solar setup. It's an optional purchase for the 600. Even with rechargeable batteries in the 600, it will not charge from the USB connection. You have to use the pack. I have a 600 and 24K maps. They will route ON the trails which give you accurate distances. The 100K installed map may not be detailed enough to route, however I have no experience with this map set. The 650 has exceptional software, uses the Russian satellites (Glonass), has an amazing touch screen, and is visible in sunlight without needing a backlight. You should be happy with it. Since you are asking for advice, I'd recommend the 650 (opposed to the "t" model) and buy the 24K maps on DVD. This way you can use them from you PC (with Base Camp). The SD card limits the use of the maps to your device.

While some people seem preoccupied with the path, I've come to the conclusion I'm already there. It's just not perfect and it doesn't last an eternity... -author
mike

mike
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 am 
SusanHikes wrote:
and that their desires surely must be superior to my own. I couldn't possibly be entitled to purchase what *I* want, could I?? irked.gif
just trying to save you money and pointing out other alternatives you may have overlooked. Why else post if you are just going ahead? (irked back)

mike

mike
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 am 
mhlSilverdale wrote:
The 650 has exceptional software, uses the Russian satellites (Glonass)
Not on mine. the Monterra (sp??) does though.

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 8:52 am 
mhlSilverdale - You actually proactively fielded a question on the newest item I'm debating which is buying the software on DVD versus microSD. I had basically decided yesterday to purchase on DVD for the exact reason you stated but a guy I talked to yesterday seemed to suggest the DVD approach was a bit outdated. Correct me if I'm wrong but can't I make a microSD card on my own from the DVD??

mhlSilverdale

mhlSilverdale
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 8:58 am 
You can download the DVD 24K maps to either the 650's internal memory OR any standard SDCard. By default, the software will store it on the SDCard first and save the internal space for routes, tracks and waypoints. This is not quite the same as dumping the entire contents to an SDCard, so the answer is basically yes. The problem with a SDCard with Garmin maps is it precludes you from adding other maps to the SDCard. So you lose a lot of potential map storage space. Possibly a bit outdated, since people are becoming device dependent and no longer feel a need to own a PC. However, if you HAVE a PC, the DVD is the way to go, since using the map with Basecamp (i.e., 3D) is just way easier for planning and review and it leaves your SDCard memory slot free for other uses. Planning your trip on a 24" wide monitor is a bit easier on the eyes (and the brain) than a 3" device. Some stores (most) are not selling the DVD, so it's lost business for them if you go that route.

While some people seem preoccupied with the path, I've come to the conclusion I'm already there. It's just not perfect and it doesn't last an eternity... -author
SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 10:42 am 
Ok, I'm convinced I should stay with my original plan of buying on DVD as I definitely want to "play" with things on my computer. Any insight on whether I need to be concerned about getting a current version or not when ordering the DVD online? When I look at the DVD on Amazon, for example, there are listings ranging from $91.99 to $134.66 and the only difference I can find is the more expensive one lists a "date first available" that is newer. I'd prefer to pay less of course but don't want to be cheap if it means I might get something outdated. I think I have more research to do on how I want to load things on the GPS unit (internal memory versus microSD) but I don't feel that has to hold me up from getting things on order.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 am 
Doesn't it take several hours to transfer maps from a computer to the GPS unit?

mhlSilverdale

mhlSilverdale
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am 
I believe the older copies had 4 states detailed, while the newer ones have less. From memory the "West version" had Washington, Oregon, California and Nevada. The new NW version has Washington and Oregon. I suspect the actual detail of the maps hasn't changed much. There may be some corrections to data errors. Edit: I followed your links. Those appear to be the same... This is the NW version I was referring to, which is may be updated from the four state version. However, it appears only available for download or purchase to an SDCard. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/on-the-trail-maps/topo-24k/topo-us-24k-northwest/prod27609.html This vendor is a good, reliable resource with some fairly good deals. I've purchased GPS's and mapping software from them in the past with no issues. They have your software for $89.95 - free shipping. http://www.gpscity.com/ Map: http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-topo-us-24k-west-dvd.html

mhlSilverdale

mhlSilverdale
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 11:09 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Doesn't it take several hours to transfer maps from a computer to the GPS unit?
It is dependent on the speed of your computer and USB port. However, it is fairly robust using Basecamp and the 600 series device. I'd estimate 25 minutes to upload all of the Washington and Oregon data. It's not simply uploading the data. Your computer processor is working to create the indexes and image files based on the area you selected. The actual transfer to your device takes about 1/3 of that time. Start the upload and walk away, it will shut of your device when it is through. However, good point, the SDCard has an advantage of being readily available. However, I normally only upload maps once or twice a year, normally to update my custom maps. However, the 600 series software will let you update a single mapset without erasing the others, which in the past wasn't possible. You had to start from scratch each time.