Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 1:20 pm 
Schenk wrote:
your claim Gore tex marketing is what drives their popularity
Do you actually believe that Gore's multi-million dollar marketing campaign over the past 40 years is not a major contributor to GTX's popularity? ETA: Exactly where did I say that Gore was evil?
tigermn wrote:
these especially inexperienced people
You talking about Roger Caffin, cartman, Grannyhiker, cascadeclimber, GeoHiker, Alpine Rose, Iron, Ranger Rock and all those other inexperienced mountain travelers? clown.gif I'll acknowledge that GTX is less prone to fail with mild use, so, yeah, they might work for a mellow trail-only hiker with considerable experience. (Hence, Dane's question: why can't you acknowledge that it might work for you but not work for those of us who experience failure with every GTX boot we've owned.) So, okay, GTX boots might work for some who stick to trails, but I seriously question the experience of anyone who claims that GTX boots are anywhere near waterproof after a half season of mountaineering. See my prior comments re the anonymous Gore engineer who posited his opinion that most GTX boot (and garment) failures result from stretching of the ePTFE membrane. It's a very simply engineering concept: ePTFE membrane has pores that are just the right size, small enough to stop liquid water from entering but large enough to allow water vapor to escape (albeit too slowly for a heavy sweater). Stretch the membrane and the pores get bigger and liquid water can pass through. Get it?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 pm 
My first pair was Asolos with goretex. I wore them when I was trying to be an engineer. The Oregon Coast range can be dampish and they did well for one or two years? I think I got my money's worth. One day when walking through a salal patch in the liquid sunshine, I noticed my feet were getting squishy wet, but the boots were well used by then. I've got another pair of Danners and the soles are starting to get worn out. I haven't worn them professionally so they've lasted about 8 years. The goretex still seems to work, and I wear them around my place. There's wet--squishy wet, and there's damp. My feet get damp in my leather boots. They get damp in goretex boots. They get really damp in my rubber boots. That's life. Wick dry socks make damp bearable and a boot dryer when you are working in your boots and going home each evening is a necessity. There's some surgical bootie type things called Bama socks. They wouldn't fit in my rubber boots, but some guys swear by them. You can buy them at Madsen's in Chehalis, I think. Or order them.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm 
All the GTX boots/shoes I've owned (probably 6 to 10 pairs) have worked flawlessly for a while (maybe a few months, depending on use), then leaked like sieves. But I still prefer GTX to non when I have a choice because they keep dust/sand out, generally for the life of the boot. If you're lucky like me and have not-so-sweaty feet, the grit resistance is nice. Note: I'm more a hiker, not a mountaineer.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 17, 2014 2:22 pm 
Those who experience GTX boot failures would not use the word "damp." "Saturated" and "sloshing" are more accurate terms. It's water seeping through the failed membrane; it just keeps coming and takes a long time (sometimes days) to dry out. IME, it's worst in wet late season snow, e.g., slogging up a glacier. NO, it's not water coming from the top of the boot. And, NO, it's not sweat. Why do some of you refuse to believe that this happens to many people? Why the strong emotional investment in your true belief that GTX is a miracle fabric that never fails and that anyone claiming otherwise is a liar?
texasbb wrote:
All the GTX boots/shoes I've owned (probably 6 to 10 pairs) have worked flawlessly for a while (maybe a few months, depending on use), then leaked like sieves.
Welcome to the Liar's Club, Tex wink.gif

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:36 am 
My only pair that leaked like a sieve immediately were the Vasque Breeze - and they were garbage from all aspects. One 20 mile backpack trip and they gave up the ghost. Very light and comfy though...and cheap. I had 2 pairs of the Vasque Skywalks, the blue fabric ones, both wore out before they leaked - 2 or 3 seasons each. Wore out the treads on both...so they did leak from the bottom up. Right now I'm using Vasque Wasatch, 3 seasons old and no leaking at all. I like to wade streams rather than twist an ankle rock hopping. I don't spend much time on snow, mostly backpacking. In my climbing days I had a pair of older Asolo Yukons - pure leather for mountaineering - my feet were always frozen if I spent any time on snow. For me, only plastic climbing boots keep my feet warm and dry if I am spending hours to days on snow. I think it is crazy to expect gore tex or any such thing to stay dry for multiple days on wet snow. So GTX in mountaineering boots actually used for mountaineering probably makes no sense. Once those leather boots are wet they stay wet. I have stepped too deeply into a creek crossing with my Skywalks, filled the boot with water. Once I took it off and drained it they were dry again in just a short time. I have GTX shoes for my day to day walking needs - being a bus person I spend time walking in the rain. My feet stay dry. Regular backpacking vs mountaineering is apples vs oranges - both tasty fruit but vastly different fruit. There is my anecdotal story.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
iron

iron
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 10:11 am 
schenk, if boots can be so easily punctured by grasses and whatnot, why, then, would goretex ever be a usable waterproofing membrane? wouldn't they be prone to failure every single time you weren't walking on asphalt or mt si-like trails? i suspect that most semi-satisfied users of goretex boots are those that stay primarily or entirely on trail. you know what? i could wear crocs on those trails and do just as well (i have, in fact, done this). every single person i know that hikes off trail (which is everyone i hike with) has GTX boots that leak and fail under a year. i'm switching to leathers, eventually, when i find the right fit. so GTX won't matter to me then. but, to say that GTX works in boots that are actually used as boots (and not just glorified trail shoes) is laughable.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 2:26 pm 
coldrain108 makes some great points. up.gif My only quibbles are: Good quality all leather boots can keep you dry on glacier/snow travel with the right treatments, and they can be functionally waterproof with screwed-and-glued supergaiters (which are not easy to find these days). Not sure CR108 means by "regular backpacking." For me, backpacking includes on-trail and off-trail travel, more often the latter for me. That is, backpacking>>mountaineering is an unbroken continuum and these days I'm usually somewhere in the middle of that continuum.

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 3:21 pm 
Gore, eVent, Sympatex, or other proprietary laminates do not construct any footwear that I am aware of, they supply material only. So where does the fault lay, is it with the laminate or the assembly of the footwear? I’ve read the criticism so is Gore responsible for how the bootie and footwear is manufactured? Reviewing the concerns on this thread they mostly appear related to construction and or maintenance issues of the footwear and not the membrane itself. Mountaineering boots have the advantage of full shanks, thicker leather, and manufactures that put more detail into the construction especially the Gore membrane. My Nepal Evo’s have 3.2 mm silicone impregnated leather over the Gore bootie, extremely, waterproof as are my Lowa Mountain Experts. That being said my Trango S Evo’s like other mixed terrain footwear are in a different category and require cleaning and reproofing after each trip to maintain complete waterproofness. I have also had great success with non-Gore boots that were at least 2.7mm thick like the previous Scarpa Sl M3; with regular cleaning and treatment they maintained complete waterproofness. Now my Sl M3’s are my lawn mowing shoes, but they are still waterproof. So my observations are just that, personal observations and experiences; I disagree with the direction of the hole theory with Gore because any puncture has to go through the fabric and or leather of the footwear first, so how is that a Gore problem if the boot fails first by allowing a puncture? How is it the problem of Gore if under the stress of use a seam tears? How is it the problem of any laminate if the footwear is not regularly maintained and the leather cracks, wets out, and the lining is never cleaned? I do not believe Gore or any other laminate is the only answer to waterproof breathable footwear, I do believe that regular cleaning and reproofing is a requirement as the best way to maintain breathability and protect linings and seams of all waterproof breathable footwear.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 10:15 pm 
Gore ePTFE membrane is very thin and fragile. Anyone who has seen it and handled it should not be surprised that it is prone to failure from stretching. It's not pinholes. I believe that GTX bootie liners are seamless, so it's not seam failures. For the third time, the Gore engineer who confided in me concluded that GTX boot failures almost always result from stretched membranes. It only makes sense. Stretched membrane >> bigger pores >> water gets in. Treating leather aint gonna prevent stretched membranes.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 am 
iron wrote:
schenk, if boots can be so easily punctured by grasses and whatnot, why, then, would goretex ever be a usable waterproofing membrane? wouldn't they be prone to failure every single time you weren't walking on asphalt or mt si-like trails?
The claim that Gore tex itself is flimsy isn't quite 100% accurate. It certainly isn't as tough as leather but it is a lot more resilient than one would imagine. The materials Gore tex is laminated to, and surrounded by, that give it durability (or not). I always open my laces wide and loose and shake out the cheat grass seeds and crap that accumulates in the folds of the tongue gussets. I too have had failures in Gore boots but only after I got what I consider a fair useful life for the money spent. I am not convinced that it is so easy to stretch a membrane that is held captive by good quality materials in a boot upper, but I suppose it could happen with poor quality materials or with unusual use/abuse of the boots. Think about it: something that comes out of a bottle and dries to a soft waxy consistency that you smear on your boots is going to outlast a durable waterproof breathable membrane sandwiched between leather, synthetics, and cloth? Nope, those treatments are only intended to be a temporary DWR, or a good leather conditioner. None will keep water out of your boots, ever.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 9:45 am 
well..... sounds like you never tried Obenaufs yet. last time I doped up my Wescos was at least 3 or 4 years ago... feet are still dry.
wesco_jobmaster_042114
wesco_jobmaster_042114

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 12:47 pm 
IME, treated leather is way closer to waterproof than GTX boots after a few days of use.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 pm 
Big Steve...Now its just a few days before Gore tex boots fail??? So, a porous leather boot with some (you can name your favorite) waxy paste rubbed all over it, and some even making its way into the leather , is waterproof?? hahahaha....please explain how any wax or oil (natural or synthetic, still your choice) will prevent water from soaking into and through a leather boot once it has been flexed even once? How are the large holes (large to water) in leather plugged? How do they stay plugged while your foot flexes the boot? Now...show us where that same company makes that claim too (WL Gore doesn't have a monopoly on marketing). No..not even the companies making these boot treatments make claims like that about their product.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 2:56 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Now its just a few days before Gore tex boots fail???
I've consistently said "less than a year." I had one Montrail GTX boot fail after one hike. (I warrantied it soon thereafter, before the other boot failed). All of my GTX footwear have leaked within 20 or so days of use, most much sooner. GTX boots completely suck.
Schenk wrote:
So, a porous leather boot . . . is waterproof??
Try reading. I said "closer to waterproof." The only footwear that is actually waterproof is made of rubber. And, yes, without a doubt a well-waxed (Obenauf's) leather boot is closer to waterproof than a failed GTX boot/screen door. Duh. Why do you refuse to believe all the experienced people who report that all of their GTX boots leak? Do you actually believe all of us are lying?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 5:58 pm 
I had a client who made dry and survival suits, the were told to try to develop a GT survival suit as they get ungodly hot if you exercise in them at all. I told them don't do it the stuff leaks! They followed my and competitors who tried failed. A leaky survival suit is a disaster waiting to happen.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn