Forum Index > Trail Talk > Medevac in the Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 12:15 pm 
What are the medevac options for hikers in the Cascades, particularly North Cascades? I think I recall reading about a program one joins to cover such events, if needed. I would be very grateful to SAR, if needed, but would prefer to have ambulance/helicopter rides covered in advance. Ideas? Thank you.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 12:37 pm 
I'm not sure if there is private for fee helicopter rescue service available. There is an organization that performs rescues when needed. Good thread on that service on T-A-Y http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=29565.0 BTW they are holding a fund raiser tomorrow night at the mountaineers club house.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 12:43 pm 
Yea the Snohomish County HRT is used far beyond just Snohomish county It's in danger of going away due to a loss of some Federal funding. http://helicopterrescue.org/fundraiser/

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 12:59 pm 
Hulksmash wrote:
Yea the Snohomish County HRT is used far beyond just Snohomish county It's in danger of going away due to a loss of some Federal funding. http://helicopterrescue.org/fundraiser/
I was thinking of something similar to FIREMED in Lane County (Oregon). Thanks, I'll look into both organizations...and the fundraisers.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 1:09 pm 
NCNP typically uses Tony Reese, though the Snohomish County Helo does make it up there every once in a while. We also often get called out to King, Skagit, Whatcom, Chelan, and Kittitas. As far as I know, there is no prepay options for any of the private services like Tony Reese.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 1:34 pm 
Speaking of HRT, how is the fundraising going?

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 2:19 pm 
Tony’s bound to retire someday! Think of the retirement party that everyone will throw for him! His work has helped folks from around the world!

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 8:34 pm 
Membership in the AAC covers rescue costs, but it may not cover the cost of a Medivac from one hospital to another, or a trans point to a hospital. Any rescue involving a helicopter will be performed by the government or their contractors in North America. Except for a very few egregious situations, or some dumb ass with a big mouth, rescues ( including helicopters) are free in the US and Canada. But that is not true for medics. If you beak an ankle in the Brooks Range or come down with kidney stones in the ALP Wilderness, you'll get hauled out free. Have the same thing happen next to a rudimentary airfield in Alaska, you'll pay because that will be a medivac job. Clear as mud?

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Apr 18, 2014 9:41 pm 
In some areas you are required to pay for helicopter rescue because there are no DOD or National Guard helicopters close by--the only helicopters are privately owned. Wyoming's Wind River Range is one of those areas. Some health insurance plans will pay if it's a medical evacuation.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 6:57 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
In some areas you are required to pay for helicopter rescue because there are no DOD or National Guard helicopters close by--the only helicopters are privately owned. Wyoming's Wind River Range is one of those areas.
Source? NCNP, GTNP, Denali NP, YNP and at times ONP and MRNP all use contract ships in part or exclusively. Same goes for fire fighting. In none of those cases are rescues charged to the victim even though a private helicopter is used.

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 7:19 am 
Private ships are used in the Wind Rivers, and the counties are reimbursed by the state
Quote:
Sublette County used the helicopter for a total of 40.3 flight hours for search and rescue missions within the county re- sulting in $70,525, which will be reimbursed by the State of Wyoming search and rescue fund.
http://www.tiptopsar.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/2011-helicopter-data-packet.pdf Rescue organizations are very leery of charging for rescues, and are justifiably concerned that people in need won't contact the authorities in a timely manner because of fear that they will be saddled with a bill. Posts such as by Granny based not on fact further this misinformation.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 9:50 am 
Sorry, folks, I did not give this information off the top of my head! My information was accurate as of the summer of 2010. I was given this info verbally by the Pinedale Ranger Station (who took a dim view of my hiking solo). The policy was also on the Bridger Teton National Forest website at that time. The website, like many other USFS websites, has since changed to the generic USFS website with very little information. If the policy has changed in the four years since I was there, that's fine, and I'm all in favor. In 2010 the policy I cited was well documented. It included not only helicopter services but also the services of outfitters for horseback rescue. Of course there is still New Hampshire!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostSat Apr 19, 2014 8:33 pm 
Ah, we have an answer. You talked to an agency that had nothing to do with rescues. Almost without exceptions, local or state agencies are in charge of rescues except in National Parks, Preserves, Refuges, NRA's and the like. The USFS is not an agency charged with rescues, and should just keep their mouth shut. Wyoming, like the rest of the US and Canada, does not charge for rescues no matter who supplies the ship.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostSun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm 
Last summer a lady on St Helens didn't wanted to be carried down by SAR. She hired a private helicopter to get her off the mountain. Link

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 7:13 am 
Back in 93 I got helo'd out of Cascade Pass. At first I was told that it was going to cost 2600$$ ! Ouch. Turned out the Navy (could also be the Coast Guard that comes for you)took me out. So I had the same question as you about costs. What you need to do is check w/your insurance comp. As it turned out Group Health would cover it as they would any ambulance trip. But not all insurance companies see it that way. But,hey, lets hope you, nor any of us, will ever need such a ride. David Mac Farlane

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.