Forum Index > Trail Talk > biking conditions of middle fork beyond dingford creek?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
b00

b00
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 11:36 pm 
does anyone have any recent knowledge of what condition the middle fork road is in from where it is closed at dingford over to goldmyer hot springs? is it worth it use my mountain bike or is it so messed up that is easier to walk?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 7:06 am 
Last season, it was fine to ride, better than walking by far. The bad part (small rockslide blocking the road) was above Goldmyer nearer to trailhead for Dutch Miller Gap at the end of the road.

b00

b00
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 8:36 am 
DRSpalding wrote:
Last season, it was fine to ride, better than walking by far. The bad part (small rockslide blocking the road) was above Goldmyer nearer to trailhead for Dutch Miller Gap at the end of the road.
thank you! :>)

mtnresqr

mtnresqr
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 10:16 am 
As of Sunday, April 20, 2014, I drove Middle Fork road to the last half mile below road end at Hardscrabble Creek parking area. Was stopped by snow there, at the "big twirly tree" beside road. Looks like maybe in another week or two, snow will melt and allow driving beyond that point. The bad rock-slide area has been cleaned by USFS blasting a way thru, last Fall. Road is completely snow free to that rock-slide, and in pretty good shape. It's pretty much very Spring-like at Goldmyer, with 'greenery' and Trilliums popping up everywhere.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 am 
I found the initial part of that stretch to be very rocky and challenging to bike (after the gate), but I wasn't using a very burly bike. Further on toward Goldmyer it seemed better. If you have a decent mountain bike, you'd probably be fine.

mtnresqr

mtnresqr
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 11:25 am 
and, the road has some 'water scoured areas' this year also. just past the gate and up along the river sections. so if you don't like rough rocks, it could be 'burly' for bikes with 'hard, narrow tires.

like2thruhike

like2thruhike
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm 
I've ridden it a few times last year on a beater 1990's Bianchi steel frame unsuspended mountain bike with Serfas Drifter city tires. A few places you may have to walk a short distance due to goose egg size+ rocks. Nice views but need to pay attention to rocks and branches in road. Fenders? Lots of water and puddles. Snow? Helmet/spare/levers/pump. Way faster than walking. The ride back is worth the trouble of the ride up!

JPH

JPH
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 6:13 pm 
So am I reading this right that you can currently drive to Dingford and the road is (mostly) snow free to Hardscrabble?