Forum Index > Gear Talk > Redesigning the axe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 pm 
Not trail gear but useful for car camping and home. http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/index.htm

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 pm 
Sorry, but not really needed. If you know how to use an axe and maul this is not really a problem. I am a bit of a wimp but can easily split 2' logs and greater with little effort, it is all technique. Really huge or screw grain need a wedge. A stock axe if fine if you know what you are doing. I come from a long line of wood splitters. My dad split wood while a hobo in the 1920's. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Franco

Franco
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 7:44 pm 
Well I don't know because I have not tried it , but "not needed" and "not improved" are not the same. My father used to drive coaches and trucks with no power steering. People did that for a long time yet I don't think many would go back to it by choice.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 21, 2014 8:53 pm 
yup. same here. been cutting wood for 45 years. maul, wedge, sledge hammer, peavey, 6-foot pinch-point bar, a good Stihl with a sharp chain and some muscle and you can buck up, split and stack pretty much anything. butt ends of old spruce can be a pain in the ass, though.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:57 am 
I don't have the 45 years of cutting wood that Ski has....but i aint new either. So Ski does a sharp ass axe that is basically designed to glance off on purpose scare you as much as it scares me? Watch the video.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 am 
Looks strange and dangerous, I will stick to old faithful. Ymmv?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 1:46 am 
I guess if you want to put all your rounds inside a tire, it might be okay. Looked screwy to me. Wait a minute... if you're working with grand fir rounds about 20-24" diameter, how big a tire do you have to use? wink.gif Actually I try to avoid it anymore- plays hell with rotator cuffs. Every now and then, though, somebody manages to talk me into forgetting about better judgement and the miles on my shoulders.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
mike

mike
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 2:04 am 
One can easily hit at slight angle to achieve the same result. Takes a bit of practice.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 am 
I would like to see how it does on a knotty chunk of hemlock. Or fir. I do a couple cords a year. I tend to buck out the problem areas of a log, or turn it into a Scandihoovian Candle, or campfire wood. I know of a Montuckian who is patenting another design.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm 
I think it is PERFECT...for the Skymall catalog. This reminds me of specialized food choppers, kitchen gadgets, and other "As Seen on TV" products. Wish I had thought of this. There will be one at every vacation cabin owned by people who never chop wood and with cash to blow.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Frosty

Frosty
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 1:55 pm 
After a shoulder injury, I bought an electric wood splitter. I still use an ax for small stuff ( and while in a wheelchair) but use the splitter for larger rounds. My son laughed at me when I bought it and now drags it out on occasional splitting visits! smile.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 11:18 pm 
If someone puts down the money for one of these I'll gladly try it out. I'm definitely trying out the used tire strategy.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 1:19 pm 
Ive cut four cords in the last month. I use a maul mostly. I have an axe/maul combo that works really well. If you really intend on cutting wood you need a gas powered splitter! One that splits horizontal or vertical is really nice.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln