Forum Index > Gear Talk > My leaky boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:38 pm 
joker wrote:
And thanks Iron - I hadn't realized that Limmer now had a whole line instead of just the one serious clodhopper I owned that weighs about the same as (or perhaps a bit more than) my current AT ski boots. Worth checking out. They nailed the fit on my c. 1980 boots, but I wonder how much their whole manufacturing process has changed over the past 34 years (ETA: ahh - on second look, I see that these boots aren't custom-fit, unlike my original Limmers...). That mid-weight looks likely to be about right for what I'm looking for. And I both love the style as well as the construction - looks like they still minimize the number of seams, unlike most other boots I've seen.
i personally thought the lightweights would've lasted 10 years of heavy off trail travel. the mids would almost surely be overkill. my problem was that they were too big in the heel/achilles area without tightening the laces so tight i couldn't feel my feet. as such, my heel slipped a lot and rubbed me raw pretty easily.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm 
joker, the PC LTH are torsionally pretty stiff, ample for many mountaineering routes, fine with strap-on crampons, but I'd want more for a really rugged route. PC LTH is way way stiffer than, say, Asolo 520 (which I would consider a soft trail hiker). Mammut Mercury LTH seemed closer to 520 class. Adding to my prior post re my experience with Gore products: I was an early Gore Tex adopter. My first GTX piece was an Early Winters anorak that I purchased in 1977 or 1978. It delaminated after a couple months of use. It was replaced on warranty several times. Each of the replacements quickly delammed. Gore had a relatively small outdoor product service team back then, and I got to know them quite well. They wanted to keep me happy because I was in the outdoor industry back then. I continued to work in the outdoor industry and in subsequent years Gore reps promised me that GTX was improving -- and they were correct insofar that it took longer for delams to develop, but every shell nonetheless delammed within a season or two. I got lots of freebies back then -- many of them in camo, all of which leaked after a season or less of use. IMO, the 1980s 2-layer/lined GTX era was the nadir of GTX products. My first GTX footwear were Montrails which I got free per an ultrarunning door prize gift certificate in the mid-1990s. The membrane in one of them failed after one hike. I replaced them with non-GTX trail shoes. For shells, I switched to less expensive PU-coated, which I found to be more water resistant for a much longer time, albeit far less breatheable. I continued to use GTX for skiing shells, which, IMO, is a good application so long as I avoided heavy rains (in which case I would get soaked). IME, GTX pants are second (to boots) as the worst application for GTX. I continue to use ePTFE membrane products as semi-VBs. They work great for that. I initially had high hopes for eVent, but it delammed at about the same rate as GTX. I took a chance on Neoshell. The first shell delammed within a couple months. I'm on a warranty replacement. Time will tell.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:53 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
Your powers of inference suck.
Apparently anything you don't like, or agree with, "sucks" . And apparently you can't take a little poke in the ribs...I meant to dig you in fun when I said it took you a long time to learn.... Sorry it wasn't so "funny" for you. Nothing more can be said...the data is out there despite your adamant denial and "crazy eye" emoticons. I have relationships with a number of Retailers and they keep their own data too. Nobody buys into a losing proposition...and stays in business. Glad I could play for awhile but this has become repetitive...Big Steve hates Gore tex and I think it is a good product and works as claimed.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 1:54 pm 
Schenk wrote:
the data is out there
No it's not. Gore does not publish its warranty return numbers.
Schenk wrote:
Big Steve hates Gore tex
Wrong again. I use (non-footwear) products with ePTFE membranes, but I acknowledge their limitations. You confuse acknowledgement of facts with hatred, like your BFF Critter did tongue.gif ETA:

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 2:49 pm 
Iron - thanks, again. Yes, in fact I was looking at their "light weight" boot and liking the looks of it but swapped in "mid-weight" when I typed that post. Good to see your firsthand thoughts on its durability and goodness for off-trail travel. BS - I don't tend to be a "shoe quiver" or "ski quiver" type of gear user, so I'm looking for boots that can serve me when I want to strap on crampons or do some moderate off-trail travel even with some weight on my back. If I can find both Mammuts in a brick-and-mortar store, I'll check them both out, but my guess from the comfort of a desk chair in front of a screen is that the PCT is probably a reasonably good match for what I'm looking for in a boot. If they are a bit stiffer than my current boots that would be fine, given that they are very close in weight. But frankly, despite the extra $, my knee jerk reaction is to gravitate toward the Limmers simply given my past experience with their boots and given the fact that they still have their "one seam" design.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
You confuse acknowledgement of facts with hatred, like your BFF Critter did tongue.gif
Hmmmm...except for the tongue.gif I would have thought you were pulling one last desperate attack against me: belittlement by implied association with a negative faction. I am not confusing anything...just making statements to see if I can crack your shell which is hardened against Gore lined footwear. Stay dry!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 2:57 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I continued to use GTX for skiing shells, which, IMO, is a good application so long as I avoided heavy rains (in which case I would get soaked).
Swap in eVent for GTX and this matches my use. I still use the PU-coated for other seasons. I find that for my use, the GTX and eVent shells will first develop issues where the pack straps contact the jacket, which leaves me wondering if it would make much of a difference to have a jacket that used either pure waterproof or the "breathable" PU coating for that area and the more breathable membrane for the rest. I suspect that this would solve most of the issues I've had with GTX/eVent in jackets. Boots are another matter - even if they haven't developed leaks, the GTX boots I've used (and trail runners for that matter) just feel like I've got plastic bags wrapped around my socks after a relatively short period of use - maybe a month or so.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 3:08 pm 
joker wrote:
which leaves me wondering if it would make much of a difference to have a jacket that used either pure waterproof or the "breathable" PU coating for that area and the more breathable membrane for the rest.
It's a great idea but AFAIK nobody is currently doing it. Urethane coated raincoat nylon yoke/hood + GTX body was pretty common construction in the early days of GTX -- and before that with 60/40 jackets. Note that when I mention PU on these threads I'm talking about allegedly breatheable/waterproof PU coating, e.g., Marmot Precip, which IME is not very breatheable but stays weatherproof longer than GTX. Neoshell is PU but very different, seems more breatheable than ePTFE.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 22, 2014 3:57 pm 
Steve wrote:
Marmot Precip, which IME is not very breatheable
where do I nominate this for "understatement of the day"? precip = like wearing a sauna suit.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 am 
Yup, but it'll keep you drier than GTX in heavy rain.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 am 
no argument there- maiden voyage was out of the Queets in a downpour on a July 3rd before any trail work had been done- 12-foot-tall salmonberry was soaked and all laying down over the trail - believe it or not that jacket kept the top half of me dry. but "breathability"? pfft! <edit 11:02 PDT> the "breathable" part of the precip is not my primary objection: the noise it makes with every move is what annoyed me most. it usually gets packed because it packs down so small, but rarely gets worn. again: only Gore-Tex item I've ever owned is those free Timberland boots, so I can't make any comparative statement about jackets.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ScottM

ScottM
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 6:57 pm 
Just started using my latest Non GTX boots, Zamberlan Latemars.
boots 002
boots 002
I've been a fan of leather boots for some time and prefer the non GTX because they breathe better and will dry a lot faster once they get wet. As others have said, it isn't easy finding non GTX boots. My previous pair were Sportiva Glaciers which I don't think they make anymore.
boots 003
boots 003
Good pair of boots but I just destroy the fabric lining which is why I was looking for non GTX with all leather lining. The Zamberlan fit the bill when not many others did.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 7:14 pm 
Scott do you happen to have an actual weight on that Zamberlan? Their web site says 940 grams (33.15 ounces or 2.07 pounds). Leather inner liner on that model?

ScottM

ScottM
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 10:20 pm 
I don't have the actual weight of my boots. I can tell you that they feel slightly lighter than the Sportiva Glaciers but that might be due to the fact that the Glaciers have steel shanks in them. I would say they are probably at least 4.5lbs for the pair as mine are a size 12. I believe the web site is giving you the weight per boot and probably a size 9 which seems to be the size that boot manufacturers weigh to give specifications on. They are completely leather lined.