Forum Index > Trip Reports > New Tricks: First Skin/Ski
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm 
Life is interesting, and sometimes we can give it a little kick. I've found that stepping out of my comfort zone is an important ingredient as I get older. This was especially true when I took up Kendo at age 49 10 years ago; that was really uncomfortable for about a year, but now I can't imagine life without it. Now this year my 67 year old buddy and I decided to branch out from pure alpine skiing, something I've done for 52 years, and venture into ski touring and ski mountaineering. Although comfortable in downhill mode, there is so much to learn about this part of skiing and enjoying the outdoors that we of course don't know what we don't know. Sure I researched and perused the informative threads available on this site, and sure I've got outdoors experience and even a modicum of mountaineering experience, but we all know that when taking up something new, experience is the greatest teacher and director of what questions to ask, what equipment works and doesn't, where are my personal limits and so forth. But we took the plunge and have been acquiring gear over the past two months to the best of our knowledge (thanks Big Steve for all the info you have provided on this topic). Now it's just time to start venturing out. Cascade Climber has said that he is a mountaineer that skis. I guess I would be a skier that is getting back into mild mountaineering (I have always been very conservative in this respect, and fairly wussy when it comes to scary slopes, weather conditions, route conditions etc). With an eye toward the Haute Route, we plan on squeezing in trips like St Helens, Adams, Baker and maybe Glacier, and I'd personally like to ski Rainier (this is not on Craig's list tho he has summited). So despite very high water content.......
Crystal skin water content
Crystal skin water content
.....here's a few of my reasons why I'm excited about this new endeavor (frame grabs from tip mounted helmet cam):
Crystal skin3
Crystal skin3
Crystal skin14
Crystal skin14
Crystal skin5
Crystal skin5
Crystal skin13
Crystal skin13
Crystal skin7
Crystal skin7
Crystal skin9
Crystal skin9
Crystal skin15
Crystal skin15

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:48 pm 
up.gif

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 12:17 am 
Cool . . . and just at the right time as the ski mountaineering season takes off! Congrats!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:47 am 
We await your steep firm kick turn video

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 3:53 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
We await your steep firm kick turn video
Kick turns are one place where being good at one footed yoga poses is an advantage in ski touring. Also unless you are really good at one footed yoga poses -- don't try to show off by removing skins without removing skis at the top. When the skin track is steep and your skis start slipping backwards, focus on keeping your weight over your heels, standing erect, taking shorter strides and visualizing pulling yourself up and forward, rather than pushing yourself uphill.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 4:22 pm 
Welcome to the club! And thanks for the reminder of looking for new ways of retaining beginner's mind!!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 4:46 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Also unless you are really good at one footed yoga poses -- don't try to show off by removing skins without removing skis at the top.
I'm about as flexible as a hemlock 2x4 and I usually rip skins with my skis on.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 pm 
Awesome! Gives me more hope for the future. I look forward to hearing and seeing more of your adventures.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 8:20 am 
Ah, glad to read this. It's never too late to abandon slowshoes for faster and more enjoyable floatation smile.gif Thermogenesis awaits your downhill rippage!

If not now, when?
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 2:37 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
Also unless you are really good at one footed yoga poses -- don't try to show off by removing skins without removing skis at the top.
I'm about as flexible as a hemlock 2x4 and I usually rip skins with my skis on.
I think this is more about balance than flexibility, though it's not really fair to call it "one footed" as I always have one pole planted while I'm doing this...

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 4:17 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Getting them off without stepping out is easy. Putting them back on is an entirely different matter. Watching people learn to deal with skins and skinning can be highly entertaining biggrin.gif

If not now, when?
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 pm 
Since I have to put my two ski pieces back together to make a snowboard, I don't have to deal with the de-skinning flexibility problem . . . but . . . my transition takes longer. What's surprised me this week is how few back-country skiers OR riders I've seen on the slopes. So, WillisWall, once we old dogs learn these new tricks, we're going to have lots of fun IN and OUT of the resorts.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Apr 26, 2014 9:08 pm 
I wrote a short blog article on Craig's and my first attempt at skiing Mt. Adams almost 20 years ago, relevant to this post....

I desire medium danger williswall.com