Forum Index > Trail Talk > Early May Backpacking Destinations??
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
harleyd615

harleyd615
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:19 pm 
Hi guys does anyone know of any good early May backpacking trails? Two of my friends in Seattle and myself were hoping to find a good 2 night backpacking trip in early to mid May this year. Any advice would be great! I've tried looking on watrails.com but have only seen posts from people going on recent hikes no overnighters.

Drew
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:56 pm 
If you're set on getting in some mileage you will be limited if you don't want to encounter snow. Some of the longer valley trails that might be snow free or have only sporadic snow at that time might be Thunder Creek or Big Beaver Creek in NCNP or Hoh Valley in ONP. Also the trails along Baker Lake are low elevation and fairly extensive. If you're OK with routefinding, traveling/camping over snow your options go up significantly.

aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 4:58 pm 
Ross Dam Trail to Big Beaver Creek and beyond was the first thing that popped into my mind.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm 
OP doesn't specify if avoiding snow is a priority or not. Olympic Coastal strip is always a good option for early season. I just did a day hike up the Hoh River valley. I went about 5.5 miles up the trail, not a hint of snow at that point. The trail goes quite a bit further before it starts gaining much elevation. I saw a black bear real up close and personal. Lots of snow free river valleys on the Olympic Peninsula. I haven't checked out even half of them. Ingalls Creek on the east side of the Cascades should have a number of snow free miles by then.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 5:52 pm 
I haven't been there myself, but Enchanted Valley comes highly recommended for early season. Lots of waterfalls coming off the surrounding ridges. Chelan Lakeshore trail is also good.

Studebaker Hoch

Studebaker Hoch
PostWed Apr 23, 2014 9:42 pm 
Hey let me tell you my secret spots where I know not many people will be! haha just giving you a hard time My advice is look at mytopo.com and find trails that are low in elevation and then cross reference with trip reports from here and WTA.com IF you don't mind camping in snow then there are a ton of hikes that are opening up now. Snow melt off is supposedly 2-3 weeks ahead of last year due to low accumulation this winter

Mikey

Mikey
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:16 am 
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 12:09 pm 
From Kennewick, I'd suggest the Wenaha River out of Troy, Oregon. Or the Selway River, Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness.

ryleymyers

ryleymyers
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 5:30 am 
thanks for all the suggestions guys. i went to Snoqualmie lake on Saturday. nice long 17 mile day hike, also got to check out otter falls. got into some snow about a half mile from the lake but it was no big deal. so many watefalls and creek crossings, fun hike even if i did get hailed on.

drm

drm
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 11:35 am 
Most of the Columbia River Gorge is melted out but beware of Saturday night crowds in places like Eagle Creek (as well as the welfare of any car you park - don't leave gear in it). Wahtum Lake probably still has some snow but may be snowfree later in May, at which point Saturdays will be just as crowded there. Flowers are peaking at lower altitudes now but will be moving uphill during May.