Forum Index > Trail Talk > 2014 edition of "Washington Scrambles"
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 8:27 am 
Peggy Goldman's guide has many useful tips and route descriptions. The cover is striking, showing a hiker on the Louis Creek high route looking out to the ridge line of the Dakobed traverse. This section from Chalangin to a high lookout rock near Neyah Point represents the most remote section of the traverse.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 6:09 pm 
I have her old "75 scrambles in Washington" book. Is the new book just a second edition of the 75 scrambles or is it mostly new content?

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 7:53 pm 
Hey, Mangy, Peggy's new edition has a "new chapter on alpine traverses," some of them reasonably difficult like the "Challenger Traverse" and the Isolation Traverse." Also, I can't remember, but did the 2001 edition have appendices with cross comparisons of difficulty and skill levels?

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 9:07 pm 
The old "75 Scrambles" book is a great resource, but I think it had some well-publicized errors. I'd assume the new version has those errors corrected.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 pm 
Blue Dome, if you can remember any of the major errors, I can check the new edition to see if she has corrected them. Peggy has a high lake traverse included that seems pretty cool - Anderson, Watson, Green, Berdeen, Blum . . . with minimal brush. I sure hope that one doesn't need a correction, but I guess I'll find out in July! I know people who have descended from Blum a couple times and they STILL ran into hideous brush.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 pm 
Sorry, I seem to remember there were at least a couple of navigational errors, but I can't remember what they were. I think there was some discussion about them on this forum, so maybe a search could turn up something.

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Apr 24, 2014 11:27 pm 
Jetlag wrote:
Peggy has a high lake traverse included that seems pretty cool - Anderson, Watson, Green, Berdeen, Blum . . . with minimal brush.
This is somewhat disappointing. I hope inclusion of specifics in a guide book won't change the character of the route.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 7:01 am 
Tom, yes, this is the age-old question, isn't it. Hard to tell what to make public. I was surprised to see this route in Peggy's book. She has a paragraph in the preface defending the inclusion of routes like this one.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 7:02 am 
Blue Dome, I'll run that search tonight - thanks!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 am 
Plenty o' whacky route descriptions in Peggy's books.
Tom wrote:
Jetlag wrote:
Peggy has a high lake traverse included that seems pretty cool - Anderson, Watson, Green, Berdeen, Blum . . . with minimal brush.
This is somewhat disappointing. I hope inclusion of specifics in a guide book won't change the character of the route.
ditto.gif Very sad. down.gif No need for a book; just get a map and explore. Lots of route variations in that area. I would just hate to see treads forming up there. down.gif I have the same feeling re the inclusion of the Isolation Traverse and the Challenger Traverse in the book. If someone cannot look at a map and figure it out, they shouldn't be up there. down.gif Very disappointing. shakehead.gif ETA: A few years ago I successfully persuaded a fellow high router to not publish a book with maps of WA high routes. OTOH, I am completely cool with Bob Kandido's books, which depict the beauty and general nature of his selected routes but omit route details.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 10:19 am 
According to the description...
Quote:
This new, fully revised second edition features 85 routes, including 25 all-new scrambles not in the first edition, as well as a new chapter covering five high-alpine traverses in the North Cascades. All routes are displayed on maps, many of which indicate alternative routes to the primary way up.
Rumor has it the new book was originally titled "85 Scrambles for 30 Pieces of Silver". tongue.gif

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 11:39 am 
Neat Judas comeback, Tom. So, if I told you I knew of a brushless route to the summit of Bacon . . . and an almost brushless route down from Blum, I should just email you privately?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 12:55 pm 
Nope, I wouldn't expect someone to email me out of the blue if I hadn't asked. If I were looking to visit the area I'd probably pull out maps, Beckey, google, etc. to try to piece it together, then PM someone who had been there to fill in any blanks. I don't think it's a good idea to put detailed descriptions in a guidebook for untrammeled routes with lines drawn on a map. Have done that high route a few times and have posted TRs with enough information for someone to figure it out. I'm always happy to help anyone who has put in reasonable effort to figure it out first, as opposed to simply wanting to be spoonfed the information.

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 1:52 pm 
Makes sense, Tom. I've seen one of your TR's; it's one of the resources I'm using to piece together the route I want to travel - other good resources come from Jason Hummel and Tom Sjolseth - and I'm glad to hear that you describe it as "untrammeled" and BigSteve describes it as without a "tread" That's the kind of route I like. But I admit to being conflicted on publicizing it. I live on a five mile stretch of one of the most beautiful stretches of river in Western Washington. I worked to protect it with state park status decades ago and I am still this area's only frequent visitor. Since state taxes pay for the protection and access, I feel a bit guilty that the public is not being encouraged to visit the area that they spent tax dollars to protect. I worry that if people don't know about a treasure, they won't continue to protect it.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostFri Apr 25, 2014 6:17 pm 
Thanks for the info. Sounds like there is a lot of new stuff in there.