Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Stop using IE until bug is fixed, says US Gov
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 pm 
In a rare move, the Homeland Security Department's Computer Emergency Readiness Team says to stop using Internet Explorer until Microsoft can plug a critical security hole….more at Cnet

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 2:46 pm 
Between this and the heart bleed fiasco, we should probably all just completely stop using computers. But our current society can't function without computers, so we're kinda stuck.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 9:17 pm 
You may not miss your personal computer (and this site and recent trip reports and many many other conveniences) very much, butt we all rely on computers in ways that aren't immediately obvious and modern society can't function without them. Imagine if things a varied as banks and stop lights just didn't work all of a sudden.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Apr 28, 2014 11:10 pm 
"Imagine if things a[s] varied as banks and stop lights just didn't work all of a sudden." I should be so lucky.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 1:57 am 
People actually still use Internet Explorer? My Mom actually does despite our attempts to convert her to Firefox...some people just have a hard time with change.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Snowbrushy

Snowbrushy
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 am 
I'm going to pick up one of these: http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/hp-chromebook-11/?gclid=CLDTnIqYhr4CFQqEfgodFaUAfQ The cheap one costs $199 at Best Buy, etc.. When online you exist in what they call The Cloud which is immune to any virus. Actually it reminds me of my old WebTV - simple and safe. Great for the elderly and non-tech savvy.

Oh Pilot of the storm who leaves no trace Like thoughts inside a dream Heed the path that led me to that place Yellow desert stream.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Apr 29, 2014 10:07 pm 
What is odd about this release is these types of issues are typically revealed in private to the vendor (MS for IE, Adobe, for flash, google, for chrome and android, apple for osx and ios, etc) and the the public announcement is made after the vender has released an update. but perhaps because MS will no longer be providing updates to Windows XP this announcement was made.

tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Apr 30, 2014 7:49 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
People actually still use Internet Explorer? My Mom actually does despite our attempts to convert her to Firefox...some people just have a hard time with change.
While I generally agree I still have to use IE for some things. Some things just don't work with Firefox or other browsers and I don't want 5 different browsers on my machine anyway. Namely some of the things I have to do at work only seem to work with IE. It has nothing to do with having a hard time with change. I'd change totally if I could.