Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hiking pants
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FJES6
Will Belay for Food

FJES6
Will Belay for Food
PostFri May 09, 2014 10:11 am 
I use thrift store polyester pants, cut off in the summer. Cheap, drys quickly. In the winter I prefer 100% wool.

Sincerely, Franklyn Joseph Esquire Sebille the 6th Http://www.summitpost.org/users/fjes6/68961 Alpinism is the art of suffering-Voytek Kurtyka
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DaleW

DaleW
PostFri May 09, 2014 11:48 am 
Light softshell pants are comfortable, warm and water repellent. I wish they offered more in khaki colors rather than black. If you are hiking in the woods where it is cool, dark and wet, black is fine, but if you break out of the trees or the sun comes out, they get hot. That still leaves them suitable for 8/12 months on the West side. For warm weather, nylon plain inseam or zip offs are pretty much my standard. REI Sahara, Columbia Silver Ridge, Ex Officio Nio Amphi, Patagonia GI II, and OR Equinox pants are all in my gear locker. They are fine for trails, but wouldn't last long for bushwhacking or climbing. If I'm looking at all day cool/cold rain, I wear light long johns and rain pants. That keeps the cold fabric off my skin and gives a good wicking/breathable and smooth sliding combo. Trying to layer rain pants with regular pants is uncomfortable and delusional when you know it's going to be wet all day--- the rain pants aren't going away, so why fight it!

sledndog

sledndog
PostFri May 09, 2014 1:54 pm 
REI Sahara convertibles. Had them for a year now with zero issues. I'm not a bushwhacker so I cannot attest to their suitability for it but general trail hiking use I give them a thumbs up. Plenty of pockets and light weight. A little loose/baggy fitting and I like that. Not gangsta baggy - just right. I've used them in winter in mid-upper 20's temps with midweight thermals underneath and they worked fine for me.

Dante

Dante
PostSat May 10, 2014 11:39 am 
I got a good deal on some ArcTeryx Gamma LT pants a while back. I wouldn't pay MSRP for them, but they've been great pants.

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostSat May 10, 2014 4:38 pm 
I use the North Face paramount peak and paramount valley pants. Both are the same except the valley are the relax style, a bit more room. I have a pair I have used for five years now, washed multiple times and they still look like new. I never have had a problem with them. I use them year round in warm and cold temps. In my book they get five stars. I can usually find them on sale or clearance.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif

PostTue May 13, 2014 8:40 am 
It depends on the trip. Working cross-country in the woods it is/was dress wool slacks bought at Goodwill. Trail walking I have a nice pair of Columbia zip-off pants that were really comfortable. Can't find another pair like that!!! However, if you are looking for day hiker shorts....... Hiker by Wrangler.....$15 at Wal-Mart. Very comfortable. I own six pairs and pretty much that is all I wear anymore. It does help to go to Arizona in winter if you like wearing shorts. PS....General Services Agency GSA) fire pants are the most comfortable long pants I have wore. Unfortunately, they are totally worthless in wet weather for obvious reasons. So if anybody wants to steal the design specifications and make them in wool and other materials for wet and cold weather I would buy them in a heartbeat!! They could even make a pair with zip-off bottoms....that really should be totally waterproof. Steal my idea!!!

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 16, 2014 2:11 pm 
re: Fjallraven "Keb" trouser: Recently had a couple opportunities to put these to the test. Spent a few hours last week crashing around in the rain through salal and sword fern and evergreen huckleberry down at Pt. Defiance. The brush was soaking wet. I was still dry. Went up day before yesterday to check out a long-abandoned trail and spent a few hours wading through sword fern and scrambling over and under blowdowns in some fairly rough terrain. Temperatures were in the upper 80's, if not lower 90's. (Thermometer at Amanda Park said 93° F at 11:45 am.) I had already packed the REI Safaris, but the eleventh hour decision to take the Fjallravens turned out to be a good idea. In spite of the heat, the side zippers allowed just enough ventilation to keep me from broiling. After getting back I took a closer look and gave some thought to the big spruces I'd spent the day crawling over and under, and the snags that tore at me along the way, and I honestly don't believe those REI Safaris would have withstood that kind of abuse. Probably one of the better gear choices I've made in several years.
fjallraven_keb_trouser_01_051614
fjallraven_keb_trouser_01_051614
fjallraven_keb_trouser_02_051614
fjallraven_keb_trouser_02_051614

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Conifers

Conifers
PostFri May 16, 2014 2:27 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 16, 2014 2:38 pm 
yep... two bills. the REI Safaris were $65. I have no doubt I'll get far more mileage from the Fjallravens- sliding on my butt with a full pack over big spruce blowdowns and crashing through salmonberry would no doubt have shredded those REI Safaris. still waiting to hear what Steve thinks about his new jacket.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostFri May 16, 2014 3:38 pm 
I like the PrAna stretch Zions - $55 through Amazon.

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun May 18, 2014 4:53 pm 
pants! who wears pants!??? ..though I may start.... just to find more hiking partners....usually it's just some no se-um bug pants and dark underwear huh.gif think Im kidding? ask mike 220 or slugman about the wallowa's hike when I forgot my pants! lol.gif lol.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun May 18, 2014 6:19 pm 
yeah, well... that's all fine and well, but my guess is you never actually tried it in direct sun in 90° heat or anywhere west of Olympus through salal, sword fern, bracken, salmonberry, red huckleberry, evergreen huckleberry, vine maple, devil's club, nettles, or blackberries. who you kiddin? dizzy.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon May 19, 2014 9:55 am 
I've got a pair of Columbia something or other from sports authority for $40 last year and they do fine. they have some sort of scotch guard on them so water rolls off and they are loose and light enough that I can roll them up easily. Probably not real durable if you are hard core, but they've survived a lot of bushwacking and scrambling thus far. I have a pair of REI sahara convertibles that are 4-5 years old at least and still going strong. I made the switch because I wanted to try non-convertible and frankly i like it much better.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon May 19, 2014 10:10 am 
Ski wrote:
Fjallraven Keb
I might pick up a pair. I have a Fjallraven jacket and trying to get the Kiruna Anorak (not available in U.S.) from Euroland. Have you waxed them?

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostMon May 19, 2014 10:52 am 
I have enjoyed my Arborwear tech pants. Thick nylon that doesn't feel like nylon, great for cross country travel and rock climbing. They are indestructible- I picked up a used pair at a thrift store and they are still going strong. I bought them not knowing a thing about them or the brand and now I won't hesitate to pay full price to replace them when the time comes.